News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,857 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3225 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »
Quote from: Bort on December 10, 2013, 02:09:33 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on December 09, 2013, 09:54:13 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on December 09, 2013, 07:49:22 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on December 08, 2013, 09:00:08 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 08, 2013, 07:36:19 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on December 08, 2013, 07:19:23 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 08, 2013, 06:08:43 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on December 08, 2013, 03:41:20 PM
Does anybody know whether it's considered poor form to file a purely advocacy-based amicus brief in a case and then turn right around and join the case as an attorney for the party one was just advocating for under the guise of being a mere friend of the court?

How would you join an existing case? You don't get to just because you want to. Joining the party, or as a new party?

As attorney for one of the existing parties. It's a bit complicated, because they've fled the country, although their original counsel remains. Here and here.

Interesting.  This isn't covered in law school so I'll have to defer to the REAL lawyers.

It gets "better," in that the guardian has announced an intention to [attempt to] resign in light of being unable to discharge her duties. Something is going to happen in Suffolk County probate court tomorrow (and I'm pretty confident of what the important part is going to be), but I'm curious about the position that Grandstanding* Teabag Lawyer might ultimately find himself in.

*There's no question that that amicus really, seriously blows. It's sloppily prepared and practically an insult to the court to the extent that it pretends to offer novel legal assistance. In short, nothing but an excuse to inject his ass into the media on this one.

Without reading anything other than your weird words, I'm going to say you should just kill the cat.

It's not like you to so precisely invoke case 64 of Hsüeh-t'ou's Verses on One Hundred Old Cases, Dubbs.

Although the case was clearly decided, [Nan-ch'üan] asked Chao-chou, and let him wander at his leisure within the walls of Chang-an. If no one understands the sandals on his head, he'll return to his home in the mountains and take a rest.

This is the earliest known use of kung-an (kōan) outside of its earlier legalistic context.

And another terrifying instance where I know exactly what Wheezer is talking about.

This should really be in the "I admit it..." thread.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3226 on: December 15, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
Mike Tyson for the Wall Street Journal:

QuoteI'm currently reading "The Quotable Kierkegaard," edited by Gordon Marino, a collection of awesome quotes from that great Danish philosopher. (He wanted his epitaph to read: "In yet a little while / I shall have won; / Then the whole fight / Will all at once be done.") I love reading philosophy. Most philosophers are so politically incorrect—challenging the status quo, even challenging God. Nietzsche's my favorite. He's just insane. You have to have an IQ of at least 300 to truly understand him. Apart from philosophy, I'm always reading about history. Someone very wise once said the past is just the present in funny clothes. I read everything about Alexander, so I downloaded "Alexander the Great: The Macedonian Who Conquered the World" by Sean Patrick. Everyone thinks Alexander was this giant, but he was really a runt. "I would rather live a short life of glory than a long one of obscurity," he said. I so related to that, coming from Brownsville, Brooklyn.

What did I have to look forward to—going in and out of prison, maybe getting shot and killed, or just a life of scuffling around like a common thief? Alexander, Napoleon, Genghis Khan, even a cold pimp like Iceberg Slim—they were all mama's boys. That's why Alexander kept pushing forward. He didn't want to have to go home and be dominated by his mother. In general, I'm a sucker for collections of letters. You think you've got deep feelings? Read Napoleon's love letters to Josephine. It'll make you think that love is a form of insanity. Or read Virginia Woolf's last letter to her husband before she loaded her coat up with stones and drowned herself in a river. I don't really do any light reading, just deep, deep stuff. I'm not a light kind of guy.

— Mr. Tyson is the author of "The Undisputed Truth."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3227 on: February 03, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
Fellas, if anyone knows of any work for someone without a college degree in the city please let me know. My wife is looking for part time work.

She's smart and cool.

I realize this probably won't get much traction but it's worth a shot. Thanks.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3228 on: February 05, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »
Noodling on cutting the cable cord and the biggest problem is Cubs games on Comcast. I've got an Apple TV. If I have a friend who lives outside the Cubs blackout area buy an MLB TV subscription for me, will that work - is it determined by the zip code on his credit card? Or would MLB "know" I'm in Chicago because of the IP address connected to my Apple TV?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3229 on: February 05, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
Quote from: R-V on February 05, 2014, 12:27:53 PM
Noodling on cutting the cable cord and the biggest problem is Cubs games on Comcast. I've got an Apple TV. If I have a friend who lives outside the Cubs blackout area buy an MLB TV subscription for me, will that work - is it determined by the zip code on his credit card? Or would MLB "know" I'm in Chicago because of the IP address connected to my Apple TV?

You're worried about missing Cubs games?  Hell I thought that'd be an incentive to cut the cord.

Also, I applaud your decision to get rid of cable.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3230 on: February 05, 2014, 12:31:09 PM »

They use the IP address. I'm outside the Cubs' blackout area (unless it's National, natch), but I'm told this works well: http://www.unblock-us.com/

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3231 on: February 05, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on February 05, 2014, 12:31:09 PM

They use the IP address. I'm outside the Cubs' blackout area (unless it's National, natch), but I'm told this works well: http://www.unblock-us.com/

You might also try this free option: https://hola.org

No idea if it works well with mlb.tv, but might be worth a shot before dropping money on unblock-us. It does work well for viewing Netflix UK exclusive stuff.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3232 on: February 05, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »

Does an HD indoor antenna pick up that channel in chicago (can check on tvfool.com/‎)? We bought one for $30 and it works amazingly well.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3233 on: February 05, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »
Quote from: BH on February 05, 2014, 12:55:23 PM

Does an HD indoor antenna pick up that channel in chicago (can check on tvfool.com/‎)? We bought one for $30 and it works amazingly well.

Here's a picture of the BH household.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3234 on: February 05, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »
Does anyone have T-Mobile for cell service?

Their monthly costs are pretty significantly less than what I'm paying AT&T, but it looks like new phones are always going to be full price, unlike AT&T where every 2 years I can get a "cheap" upgrade. 

Just trying to gauge how this works.

I'll hang up and wait for people to send me links to Yetisellsphones.com

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3235 on: February 05, 2014, 01:12:58 PM »
Quote from: BH on February 05, 2014, 12:55:23 PM

This is probably a dumb question but can't you only pick up broadcast channels (WGN, Fox, NBC, etc) over an antenna? Comcast Sports Net is a cable channel.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3236 on: February 05, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 05, 2014, 01:06:27 PM
Their monthly costs are pretty significantly less than what I'm paying AT&T, but it looks like new phones are always going to be full price, unlike AT&T where every 2 years I can get a "cheap" upgrade.  

With AT&T and Verizon, you pay back your phone "subsidy" over the length of your 2-year contract, the cost being rolled into the contract. The phone is not really free or cheap. The cost is just hidden.

With T-Mobile going contract-free, that's not really an option for them. But you can still finance a phone through T-Mobile, paying for it in 24 monthly installments alongside your phone service (or just the installment payments on their own if you cancel your T-Mobile service). This seems like effectively the same thing as the other providers offer, just without the cost-hiding.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3237 on: February 05, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »

I made that exact switch. Now my phone bill on the lowest minutes plan and unlimited data plus a hotspot is about 85 bucks a month. The data coverage probably isn't what AT&Ts was under LTE but it's still very good if you live in a metro area. I don't have any complaints and I would never go back. My wife's seeing out her AT&T contract and her bill is almost 30 bucks more a month.

Yeah, new phones are full price but you don't have to wait two years or sign a contract. You also can spread the cost out over 24 months and they'll add it into your bill interest free (I believe). So if a new phone is 800 bucks, an extra 33 a month would be your charge.

Worth it? For me, yeah.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3238 on: February 05, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 05, 2014, 01:21:39 PM

I made that exact switch. Now my phone bill on the lowest minutes plan and unlimited data plus a hotspot is about 85 bucks a month. The data coverage probably isn't what AT&Ts was under LTE but it's still very good if you live in a metro area. I don't have any complaints and I would never go back. My wife's seeing out her AT&T contract and her bill is almost 30 bucks more a month.

Yeah, new phones are full price but you don't have to wait two years or sign a contract. You also can spread the cost out over 24 months and they'll add it into your bill interest free (I believe). So if a new phone is 800 bucks, an extra 33 a month would be your charge.

Worth it? For me, yeah.

So, quick math - I'm paying $162/month for AT&T (2 iPhones)

For T-Mobile, the closest plan is $100/month (plus whatever in taxes), but then I'd be paying about $50 more a month for 2 new iPhones.  If keep the new phone longer than 2 years, then it's a pretty big savings, since the $50 drops off.

Seems like a relative wash, unless I'm missing something.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3239 on: February 05, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
I'm guessing you don't spend much time in the Bay Area, so I'm sorry if this is useless, but, my friend who has T-Mobile had absolutely horrible service when she was here. She kept borrowing my AT&T iPhone to look things up. That's all I've got. Hope your area is better.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?