News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,323 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3510 on: March 11, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 11, 2016, 02:27:46 PM
Quote from: flannj on March 11, 2016, 02:22:07 PM
Quote from: PANK! on March 11, 2016, 02:16:15 PM
I stand corrected.  Dawson came up--for his first at-bat as a Cub--with runners on second and third (not the bases loaded)  and nobody out and reached base on an error by second baseman Tommy Herr (not a dribbler back to the pitcher).  You'll have to take my word for it that it was a disappointing first at-bat and that the ball was hit weakly.

I am disappointed beyond words.

Well then brace yourself for some more bad news.

BB-Ref tells me Vance Law did not drive in the game-winning in the 1988 Opener.  Though I did remember correctly that the Cubs beat Atlanta in extras, the winning run actually scored when Law began the inning with double.  After a SAC bunt by Shawon Dunston, Law apparently scored the winning run--as opposed to driving it in--on a Manny Trillo SAC fly.  Though I suppose I could console myself for knowing that Law was mixed in there somewhere, I know in my heart that that's a cop-out and the shame is forever mine that I was not more exact in my recall.

Who even are you, man
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3511 on: March 11, 2016, 02:30:09 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 11, 2016, 02:28:51 PM
I stand corrected.  Dawson came up--for his first at-bat as a Cub--with runners on second and third (not the bases loaded)  and nobody out and reached base on an error by second baseman Tommy Herr (not a dribbler back to the pitcher).  You'll have to take my word for it that it was a disappointing first at-bat and that the ball was hit weakly.

BB-Ref tells me Vance Law did not drive in the game-winning in the 1988 Opener.  Though I did remember correctly that the Cubs beat Atlanta in extras, the winning run actually scored when Law began the inning with double.  After a SAC bunt by Shawon Dunston, Law apparently scored the winning run--as opposed to driving it in--on a Manny Trillo SAC fly.  Though I suppose I could console myself for knowing that Law was mixed in there somewhere, I know in my heart that that's a cop-out and the shame is forever mine that I was not more exact in my recall.

Who even are you, man

I don't even know anymore.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3512 on: March 11, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »

I think you might be getting early onset Alzheimer's. Your memory sucks ass.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3513 on: March 11, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 11, 2016, 03:05:16 PM

How old can you be and still get to call it "early onset"?  I'm not asking for myself.  I am just curious.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3514 on: March 11, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 11, 2016, 05:29:10 PM
Quote from: R-V on March 11, 2016, 03:05:16 PM

How old can you be and still get to call it "early onset"?  I'm not asking for myself.  I am just curious.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3515 on: March 11, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »

So I don't feel so bad for reading it, scoffing and immediately thinking that Vance Law never drove in shit.
M'lady.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3516 on: March 12, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on March 11, 2016, 06:34:26 PM

So I don't feel so bad for reading it, scoffing and immediately thinking that Vance Law never drove in shit.

That's 1988 National League All-Star Vance Law.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3517 on: March 14, 2016, 08:55:08 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 12, 2016, 04:59:03 PM

Yeah, he had a nice "bounceback" year in '88--that rally-starting double portended good things for 1988 Vance Law.  Thinking it may have saved his career, he went into '89 solidly as the third baseman, but then did jack shit to help the Cubs ascend to the heights of the old NL East and was basically forced aside by mid-season acquisition Luis Salazar by the time September had come around.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3518 on: March 14, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 14, 2016, 08:55:08 AM
Quote from: Brownie on March 12, 2016, 04:59:03 PM

Yeah, he had a nice "bounceback" year in '88--that rally-starting double portended good things for 1988 Vance Law.  Thinking it may have saved his career, he went into '89 solidly as the third baseman, but then did jack shit to help the Cubs ascend to the heights of the old NL East and was basically forced aside by mid-season acquisition Luis Salazar by the time September had come around.

The first Cubs baseball card I ever had was Luis Salazar, because when I was starting my collection and had no idea who most of those guys were my brother graciously said I could have Salazar, because there was no fucking way he was going to give me any of his four Sandbergs or five Dawsons.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3519 on: March 17, 2016, 08:04:48 AM »
Wait when did I become an admin and why

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3520 on: March 17, 2016, 09:07:11 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 17, 2016, 08:04:48 AM

MODS!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3521 on: March 17, 2016, 09:27:06 AM »

gratis sex webadminastrataer

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3522 on: March 17, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Just...wield it wisely...

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3523 on: March 17, 2016, 11:59:06 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 17, 2016, 11:52:18 AM

I'm just really confused as to how this happened. Also does use it wisely mean ban TDubbs? Can I do that? Is there any good reason why I shouldn't?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3524 on: March 17, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 17, 2016, 11:59:06 AM
Quote from: PANK! on March 17, 2016, 11:52:18 AM

I'm just really confused as to how this happened. Also does it use it wisely mean ban TDubbs? Can I do that? Is there any good reason why I shouldn't?

You should ban Andy.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen