News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,078 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3540 on: March 20, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 20, 2016, 10:54:14 AM
Quote from: R-V on March 20, 2016, 08:22:50 AM
Quote from: Eli on March 19, 2016, 10:08:20 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 19, 2016, 05:07:35 PM
So who signed up for The Athletic?  Enjoying your premium-grade Sponsored Posts?

Maybe not sponsored, but that is their affiliate link, so they earn commissions on the purchase of the book. Almost as gross.

I actually found that story to be very interesting. As long as it's relevant to a Chicago team, who cares? God forbid these guys try to make a living.

This.

So that's two who signed up. Anyone else?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3541 on: March 20, 2016, 02:37:58 PM »
So who signed up for The Athletic?  Enjoying your premium-grade Sponsored Posts?

Maybe not sponsored, but that is their affiliate link, so they earn commissions on the purchase of the book. Almost as gross.

I actually found that story to be very interesting. As long as it's relevant to a Chicago team, who cares? God forbid these guys try to make a living.

I suppose. But the way it was written makes it seem as if they only reviewed it in order to get their affiliate link out there. Usually posts like that have a disclaimer saying something about receiving a small commission if you purchase through their link, which at least makes things transparent.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3542 on: March 20, 2016, 02:46:57 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 20, 2016, 02:37:58 PM

I suppose. But the way it was written makes it seem as if they only reviewed it in order to get their affiliate link out there. Usually posts like that have a disclaimer saying something about receiving a small commission if you purchase through their link, which at least makes things transparent.

And the answers to most of the questions the story raised were "go buy the book," sandwiched in between explicit recommendations to also buy the book. It's odd stuff for a subscription-supported site.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3543 on: March 20, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 20, 2016, 02:24:47 PM

This.

I didn't actually sign up. I just read the free stuff. But good for them if people click through an article and they make money off it!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3544 on: March 20, 2016, 06:30:59 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 20, 2016, 04:43:24 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 20, 2016, 02:24:47 PM

This.

I didn't actually sign up. I just read the free stuff. But good for them if people click through an article and they make money off it!

I'm still trying to figure out how to illegally torrent the site.
M'lady.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3545 on: March 20, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »
Interesting.  I have been hacked.  Someone, probably in Eastern Europe, has done me the favor of filing a tax return for me.  And someone, possibly the same, changed my password for my homepage.  It is enough to make me a Luddite.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3546 on: March 21, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 20, 2016, 07:46:34 PM
Interesting.  I have been hacked.  Someone, probably in Eastern Europe, has done me the favor of filing a tax return for me.  And someone, possibly the same, changed my password for my homepage.  It is enough to make me a Luddite.

Were they hoping to collect some kind of return?
M'lady.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3547 on: March 21, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on March 21, 2016, 09:21:56 AM
Quote from: CBStew on March 20, 2016, 07:46:34 PM

Were they hoping to collect some kind of return?

I did not see the phony tax return.  I received a notification purporting to be from the IRS.  I guess that whatever was submitted to the IRS was so strange that they sent me a form letter asking if I really submitted it to them.  I gave the IRS letter to my tax preparer to deal with.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3548 on: April 11, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
Mostly asking because I'm curious about this, but:

A friend of mine was summoned for jury duty and her employer is forcing her to take vacation time in order to serve. She only gets 10 days a year, so she's pissed. Can her employer legally do this? I'm pretty sure it's just shitty and not illegal (they're not threatening to fire her or anything), but wanted to see if any of the many lawyers here knew more specifics. I think this might be determined by the State of Kansas, which probably doesn't protect anyone from anything.

She's in real estate and mostly works on commission, so I don't believe she's salaried or hourly, which might make things weird.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3549 on: April 11, 2016, 05:18:35 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 11, 2016, 04:10:04 PM

A friend of mine was summoned for jury duty and her employer is forcing her to take vacation time in order to serve. She only gets 10 days a year, so she's pissed. Can her employer legally do this? I'm pretty sure it's just shitty and not illegal (they're not threatening to fire her or anything), but wanted to see if any of the many lawyers here knew more specifics. I think this might be determined by the State of Kansas, which probably doesn't protect anyone from anything.

She's in real estate and mostly works on commission, so I don't believe she's salaried or hourly, which might make things weird.
Each state has its own laws about jury duty.  Most  courts post information for jurors.  Otherwise it should be easy enough to Google.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3550 on: April 11, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 11, 2016, 05:18:35 PM
Quote from: Eli on April 11, 2016, 04:10:04 PM

Each state has its own laws about jury duty.  Most  courts post information for jurors.  Otherwise it should be easy enough to Google.

Shitty employer
http://www.shawneecourt.org/FAQ/Topic?topic=16

QuoteThere is no Kansas law requiring employers to pay their employees while they are serving on a jury. However, you cannot be fired from any permanent job for responding to a jury summons under Kansas law (see KSA-43-173). Some employers have policies under which employees are paid their normal salary while serving on a jury. You'll need to check with your employer about their policy

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3551 on: April 21, 2016, 06:42:19 PM »
My sister is considering a Chicago sabbatical from teaching law at West Virginia University in January-August next year. Where can person look for temporary housing possibly with other student/professor/graduate types? Are bulletin boards of this kind associated with the local universities? Air bnb seems too pricey and Craigs List will get you murdered?

What should she do?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3552 on: April 21, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 21, 2016, 06:42:19 PM
My sister is considering a Chicago sabbatical from teaching law at West Virginia University in January-August next year. Where can person look for temporary housing possibly with other student/professor/graduate types? Are bulletin boards of this kind associated with the local universities? Air bnb seems too pricey and Craigs List will get you murdered?

What should she do?

Is asking the department and/or whoever is hiring her not an option? I'd start there. Probably has to be some kind of internal, faculty-only forum or chat, too, I would think. This can't be the first time someone has had a question like this. And I would hope it's not publically accessible lest some scorned 1L set out on a vigilante mission to avenge his dreams-crushing B- final grade in Torts.

More importantly, where can she buy her WEST FUCKIN' VIRGINIA hoodie?

Ah, I misunderstood and thought she was going there to teach on sabbatical from work because I'm only half PAYING THE FUCK ATTENTION. I accept your scorn.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3553 on: April 21, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »

What should she do?

What about your place, chief?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3554 on: April 21, 2016, 09:26:08 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 21, 2016, 07:03:20 PM

What should she do?

What about your place, chief?

What about Oleg's place?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.