News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,854 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3586 on: June 01, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »
DPD. I recently sold my car to CarMax. It was fast, easy, and fair. I got less than I would have gotten from a private sale, but I did not have to spend time advertising, arranging a sale, dealing with annoying looky-loos, vetting buyers, completing all the required DMV paperwork and get the car smogged, and all that. YMMV.

EDIT: Oh, and I got more for it than the trade-in value would have been at the dealership. Overall not a bad deal. If I wasn't working all the time maybe I would have sold it myself, but if you don't want to deal with that shit CarMax is the way to go. (Even if you don't sell to CarMax, their appraisal is free and takes about an hour total. It's a useful data point to have and if your private-party offers are disappointing, the CarMax offer is good for seven days unless you bring the car back on fire. There's really no reason not to at least get a quote.)

EDIT 2: An important factor to CarMax is whether your car is "retailable." They don't really care whether it's clean or detailed -- they can do that. Typically that means under 100,000 miles, at least, and the lower the better. My 2009 Volvo S40 was in excellent condition, all considered, but with 150,000 miles they can't put it on the lot so I was offered wholesale so they can auction it. If your car can go on their lot, the offer will likely be more competitive with private party offers without the hassle. Otherwise, you're looking at wholesale.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3587 on: June 01, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on June 01, 2016, 03:13:00 PM
DPD. I recently sold my car to CarMax. It was fast, easy, and fair. I got less than I would have gotten from a private sale, but I did not have to spend time advertising, arranging a sale, dealing with annoying looky-loos, vetting buyers, completing all the required DMV paperwork and get the car smogged, and all that. YMMV.

EDIT: Oh, and I got more for it than the trade-in value would have been at the dealership. Overall not a bad deal. If I wasn't working all the time maybe I would have sold it myself, but if you don't want to deal with that shit CarMax is the way to go. (Even if you don't sell to CarMax, their appraisal is free and takes about an hour total. It's a useful data point to have and if your private-party offers are disappointing, the CarMax offer is good for seven days unless you bring the car back on fire. There's really no reason not to at least get a quote.)

EDIT 2: An important factor to CarMax is whether your car is "retailable." They don't really care whether it's clean or detailed -- they can do that. Typically that means under 100,000 miles, at least, and the lower the better. My 2009 Volvo S40 was in excellent condition, all considered, but with 150,000 miles they can't put it on the lot so I was offered wholesale so they can auction it. If your car can go on their lot, the offer will likely be more competitive with private party offers without the hassle. Otherwise, you're looking at wholesale.

What kind of car did you end up getting? I remember you were asking a few months back for advice. Obviously late to the party, but you weren't looking into a Tesla, right? I had thought in your price range with the extra CA tax breaks and no-gas thing, the cost of ownership wouldn't have been that different from some other higher-end cars. But I only thought about it for like two seconds and then probably got distracted by Twitter or something.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3588 on: June 01, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 01, 2016, 04:12:42 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on June 01, 2016, 03:13:00 PM

What kind of car did you end up getting? I remember you were asking a few months back for advice. Obviously late to the party, but you weren't looking into a Tesla, right? I had thought in your price range with the extra CA tax breaks and no-gas thing, the cost of ownership wouldn't have been that different from some other higher-end cars. But I only thought about it for like two seconds and then probably got distracted by Twitter or something.

Ended up getting an M235i convertible (an unsold 2015 model with a nice discount they wanted to get off the lot) on a lease. I like it. The gas tank is pretty small though and it triggers the fuel pump shutoff every couple gallons every time I fuel it, which means I have to babysit it instead of setting and forgetting. That's the only negative thing so far. It's fast and handles like a go-kart.

Adding: Realized I didn't address the Tesla part. I was looking for a sportier car (which I've never owned) and a convertible (also a first). Tesla's sedan is fast but I wouldn't call it sporty. If their Roadster was still around I would have strongly considered it. Runners-up were Audi A3, A5, and TT, BMW 4-Series and Z4, Mercedes SLK and E-class, and to a lesser extent the Mazda Miata, in case anyone else finds himself in the same market segment.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3589 on: June 01, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »
DPD. Actual numbers on CarMax, just to help you out: best-case scenario private party was about $4,500 in good condition per Kelley Blue Book. A friend who liked my car was going to pay that but her financing fell through. I probably would not have been able to get that much on the open market. Dealer offered about $1500-2000. CarMax gave me $3,000 and handled all of the paperwork, transport, California-specific DMV and environmental things, etc.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3593 on: June 29, 2016, 12:23:49 AM »
Hey, Pex, I haven't seen Ryan around the 'hood in a while. Any word?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3594 on: July 01, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »
I'm visiting Austin for the first time this month. Any suggestions?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3595 on: July 01, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 01, 2016, 02:22:05 PM

Not really, I've never met the bloke.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3596 on: July 01, 2016, 03:17:32 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 01, 2016, 02:32:54 PM

Not really, I've never met the bloke.

What's his favorite beer, at least?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3597 on: July 01, 2016, 03:58:56 PM »

I might be misremembering, but I think Austin is the one with a ridiculous number of awesome food trucks.
M'lady.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3598 on: July 01, 2016, 07:54:14 PM »

You got mail
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3599 on: July 06, 2016, 08:03:54 AM »

I've heard tell that Franklin's in the best BBQ - it's certainly the best known.

Only open at lunchtime though.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16