News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,256 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3675 on: December 22, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 22, 2016, 08:43:58 AM
Quote from: Tonker on December 22, 2016, 01:07:32 AM
Quote from: CBStew on December 21, 2016, 08:31:35 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on December 21, 2016, 06:22:38 PM
Quote from: Oleg on December 21, 2016, 05:43:27 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on December 21, 2016, 02:46:44 PM
Quote from: Tonker on December 21, 2016, 01:38:18 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on December 21, 2016, 01:18:05 PM
Quote from: Tonker on December 21, 2016, 05:07:33 AM
At the beginning of the year, I was really, really fucking fat.  Now, I'm less fat.  If you wanted to see how much less fat I am (around 70lbs less fat, since you ask), you could, if you wanted, go here, and scroll down to finalist #8.

Oh, hey, while you were there, you could even vote for me (once per device, by the look of things).  I hereby faithfully promise that, should I win anything, I'll spend every last cent on booze and encased meat products.

I voted for you.

Care to share the specifics of your diet?

Thank you.  It wasn't a diet, per se.  They actually just teach you some fundamentally pretty simple stuff: eat slowly, stop before you're full, eat a balanced diet with a fair amount of good fat, and plenty of lean protein and vegetables.  There's a lot of exercise, though - running, squats, lunges, bodyweight and dumb-bell stuff.  I didn't manage it every week but most weeks I exercised four or five times.  Indeed, the way they've cropped the photos pisses me off a bit, because my legs have changed even more than my upper body, but you can't see it.

Interesting -- sounds a bit similar to what I've been doing, but perhaps not as extreme, which is probably more sensible. I cut out all carbs, sodium, sugar, saturated fats, and dairy, and focus on label reading. In the next couple of months I'm going to transition to a maintenance phase, where I'll start eating limited carbohydrates again. The big thing for me has also been the fitness side, although I'm just doing running (typically 5K a day).

I have something like 4 electronic devices at my disposal, not to mention various internet browsers. You get 10 votes from me, sir. Good luck!

1. Saturated fats are fucking delicious.
2. Cut out *all* carbs?  No fruits or vegetables in your diet?

On a daily basis, I can have a cup of berries, or an orange, and I am primarily supposed to have green, leafy vegetables, although I am permitted 4 cups a day of broccoli or cauliflower (which is what I commonly eat with my chicken burger in a lettuce wrap at dinner time).

But I do have a cheat meal every two weeks, commonly, although I will be eating two in three days at around Christmas time (my wife is cooking some homemade Bailey's Cheesecake for Christmas Eve, and I'll be going out for wings with my best friend on the 26th).
Last week I was diagnosed with gout.  No biggie.  I just have to avoid red meat, shellfish, tuna , trout, alcohol, coffee, organ meats, fried food, fructose, dried fruits, and vegetables like spinach, cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, peas, beans and lentils. 

Or, you could just take a load of gout medicine and eat and drink what the hell you like.

Gout flare ups and they're the worst.

Gout medicine sucks.  The shit makes you puke.

Stew...try cherries.  Cherries have some chemical in them that breaks up whatever crystals in the blood that cause the uric acid to build up in the joints.

Doesn't even matter which cherries or in what format (although the tarter ones seem to get the better write-ups).  They have cherry concentrates that are supposed to be awesome.  I just buy a giant bag of frozen cherries...lasts me about a week or so.

Cherry juice with no added sugar is also great but it can get expensive.  In the summer (when they're available and cheaper) I eat cherries like they're going out of style.

I stay away from organ meats (I do eat liver once in a while...Russian Jewish dinner and all) and I avoid asparagus.

Exercise seems to help a lot too.
...alcohol?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3676 on: December 22, 2016, 10:40:17 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 22, 2016, 10:10:24 AM
At the beginning of the year, I was really, really fucking fat.  Now, I'm less fat.  If you wanted to see how much less fat I am (around 70lbs less fat, since you ask), you could, if you wanted, go here, and scroll down to finalist #8.

Oh, hey, while you were there, you could even vote for me (once per device, by the look of things).  I hereby faithfully promise that, should I win anything, I'll spend every last cent on booze and encased meat products.

I voted for you.

Thank you.  It wasn't a diet, per se.  They actually just teach you some fundamentally pretty simple stuff: eat slowly, stop before you're full, eat a balanced diet with a fair amount of good fat, and plenty of lean protein and vegetables.  There's a lot of exercise, though - running, squats, lunges, bodyweight and dumb-bell stuff.  I didn't manage it every week but most weeks I exercised four or five times.  Indeed, the way they've cropped the photos pisses me off a bit, because my legs have changed even more than my upper body, but you can't see it.

Interesting -- sounds a bit similar to what I've been doing, but perhaps not as extreme, which is probably more sensible. I cut out all carbs, sodium, sugar, saturated fats, and dairy, and focus on label reading. In the next couple of months I'm going to transition to a maintenance phase, where I'll start eating limited carbohydrates again. The big thing for me has also been the fitness side, although I'm just doing running (typically 5K a day).

I have something like 4 electronic devices at my disposal, not to mention various internet browsers. You get 10 votes from me, sir. Good luck!

On a daily basis, I can have a cup of berries, or an orange, and I am primarily supposed to have green, leafy vegetables, although I am permitted 4 cups a day of broccoli or cauliflower (which is what I commonly eat with my chicken burger in a lettuce wrap at dinner time).

But I do have a cheat meal every two weeks, commonly, although I will be eating two in three days at around Christmas time (my wife is cooking some homemade Bailey's Cheesecake for Christmas Eve, and I'll be going out for wings with my best friend on the 26th).
Last week I was diagnosed with gout.  No biggie.  I just have to avoid red meat, shellfish, tuna , trout, alcohol, coffee, organ meats, fried food, fructose, dried fruits, and vegetables like spinach, cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, peas, beans and lentils. 

Or, you could just take a load of gout medicine and eat and drink what the hell you like.

Stew...try cherries.  Cherries have some chemical in them that breaks up whatever crystals in the blood that cause the uric acid to build up in the joints.

Doesn't even matter which cherries or in what format (although the tarter ones seem to get the better write-ups).  They have cherry concentrates that are supposed to be awesome.  I just buy a giant bag of frozen cherries...lasts me about a week or so.

Cherry juice with no added sugar is also great but it can get expensive.  In the summer (when they're available and cheaper) I eat cherries like they're going out of style.

I stay away from organ meats (I do eat liver once in a while...Russian Jewish dinner and all) and I avoid asparagus.

...alcohol?

Are you insinuating something?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3677 on: December 22, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 22, 2016, 10:40:17 AM

I voted for you.

...alcohol?

You can't live 45 minutes away from the Napa Valley and not get infatuated with Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3678 on: December 22, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 22, 2016, 10:50:35 AM
Quote from: Oleg on December 22, 2016, 10:40:17 AM

I voted for you.

...alcohol?

You can't live 45 minutes away from the Napa Valley and not get infatuated with Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon.

How about cherry wine?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3679 on: December 28, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »
Okay youse merry bastards, how am I going to get hold of a copy of WGN's "Twas the Season" review of the Cubs' year?  Because as far as I can make out, it doesn't exist online at all.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3680 on: December 28, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 28, 2016, 02:36:52 PM
Okay youse merry bastards, how am I going to get hold of a copy of WGN's "Twas the Season" review of the Cubs' year?  Because as far as I can make out, it doesn't exist online at all.

It's "Fly The W" with a Crane-free rally at the end.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3681 on: December 28, 2016, 08:00:24 PM »

It comes free with every purchase of Al's new book.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3682 on: December 29, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »

Have somebody DVR the January 1 encore presentation (7p-9p CST) and encode the video?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3683 on: December 29, 2016, 02:43:56 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 29, 2016, 01:58:20 PM

Have somebody DVR the January 1 encore presentation (7p-9p CST) and encode the video?

Yes, this.  I feel sure that one of my Chicago friends with whom I have not yet worn out my welcome* will do this for me.

*This list gets shorter every time I come into town.**

**Insert Oleg joke here.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3684 on: December 29, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 29, 2016, 02:43:56 PM

Yes, this.  I feel sure that one of my Chicago friends with whom I have not yet worn out my welcome* will do this for me.

**Insert Oleg joke here.

Do you have a DVD player that will play US DVDs? (region 1)  If so, I think I can burn it for you.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3685 on: December 29, 2016, 03:29:20 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 29, 2016, 03:11:28 PM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

Do you have a DVD player that will play US DVDs? (region 1)  If so, I think I can burn it for you.

As it happens, I do, but any computer will play any DVD from any region anyway, I think.  There surely has to be some way to get a digital copy of this, though, and upload it to (say) Dropbox?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3686 on: December 29, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 29, 2016, 03:29:20 PM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

As it happens, I do, but any computer will play any DVD from any region anyway, I think.  There surely has to be some way to get a digital copy of this, though, and upload it to (say) Dropbox?

I can (likely) handle transcoding if someone can get me the raw recorded file. Unless WGN encrypts their shit, in which case I'll see what I can do.

The best and easiest way to do this is to use a digital tuner that connects to a computer such as this. All you need is an antenna and the ability to receive a clear over-the-air signal of WGN. Set the recording or hit the button yourself, then let it roll. Most software that works with these tuners will even help you cut out commercials and export the result to an MP4 file.

It gets harder if the recorded file lives on a DVR or if you're using cable that needs a descrambler box since the video might end up in a closed format. Burning to a DVD is a way around that. I can rip it and convert to a digital file. 
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3687 on: December 29, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 29, 2016, 06:03:35 PM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

I can (likely) handle transcoding if someone can get me the raw recorded file. Unless WGN encrypts their shit, in which case I'll see what I can do.

The best and easiest way to do this is to use a digital tuner that connects to a computer such as this. All you need is an antenna and the ability to receive a clear over-the-air signal of WGN. Set the recording or hit the button yourself, then let it roll. Most software that works with these tuners will even help you cut out commercials and export the result to an MP4 file.

It gets harder if the recorded file lives on a DVR or if you're using cable that needs a descrambler box since the video might end up in a closed format. Burning to a DVD is a way around that. I can rip it and convert to a digital file. 

I'll still DVR it and convert to MP4 via Handbrake. You'll get to see it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3688 on: December 29, 2016, 08:45:38 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 29, 2016, 08:44:06 PM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

Yep. Handbrake is good. I still have MPEG StreamClip too, which seems to no longer be in development. I don't have a DVR, though, so I've never tried HandBrake on whatever format DVRs write to.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3689 on: December 29, 2016, 10:30:16 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 29, 2016, 08:44:06 PM

**Insert Oleg joke here.

Being outside the WGN area, I would be interested to partake in something like this.