News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,545 )

helloWorld

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2007, 11:18:35 AM »
For now, Comcast is the best interwebs you can get at home (see: reasonable price).  I do wish ATT would get off their crappy DSL ass and start building something like Verizon's FiOS.  FTTP is teh steak sauce and I drool over what you can get out on the east coast.

Fork, can you get On-Demand through you CableCARDs?
Geovany Soto is my own personal jebus.

DPappy

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2007, 11:34:20 AM »
AT&T is running fiber for their new U-Verse network, but they're only running it to the node instead of the premises, unlike Verizon's FIOS.  My mother-in-law is subscribing to a U-Verse package deal for home phone, DSL, and IPTV.  The bundle package is pretty cheap (like $85/mo.), but the Internet speeds are typical DSL speeds and don't come anywhere close to what FIOS offers.

From what I know about CableCARDs, they're not currently capable of doing on-demand.  There's supposed to be another version of them that will support on-demand, but the cable industry is certainly in no hurry to get them out there.  They're too busy plotting their rate hike to cover the cost of developing set-top boxes that support CableCARDs.  The last thing they want is for 3rd-parties to have the ability to eliminate their lucrative equipment rental fees.  I hate the cable industry.
It may be retarded but McCain's No 2 would still choose life for it. Because she's compassionate like that.  ~Apex

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2007, 11:40:16 AM »
Quote from: The Ghost of Chris Benoit on July 06, 2007, 11:06:58 AM
Quote from: helloWorld on July 06, 2007, 10:58:12 AM
Me, I like Comcast.  The bundled interwebs service saves a bit of cash.  The DVR is sucky garbage, but Comcast has a deal with Tivo and Tivo w/ On-Demand (no CableCARD limited functionality) will be available in the fall (at least that's what they are saying).  On-Demand is very nice.  Does DirecTV have that yet?  I had DirecTV a couple of years ago and they did not.

2nd for Comcast.

If nothing else their HD is a far higher quality that D*.  D* compresses the shit out of their HD signals and it's only going to get worse when they add more channels.  And they've been saying they're gonna have over 100 channels added for over a year now.  The HD DVR is fine.  Not TIVO good, but it does a good job.  On-Demand is also worthy of a splooge thread.
What Ghost said. The compression is so bad over a dish you can't even get close to 720 much less ever getting 1080. I haven't had too many problems with the Comcast HD DVR. When it has given me trouble unplugging it and letting it reset has fixed the problem. Both cable and internet customer service SUCKS though.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

helloWorld

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2007, 11:54:42 AM »
Quote from: flannj on July 06, 2007, 11:40:16 AM
I haven't had too many problems with the Comcast HD DVR. When it has given me trouble unplugging it and letting it reset has fixed the problem. Both cable and internet customer service SUCKS though.

The damn thing is as stable as Windows for Workgroups running NetBUI as a file server.  Rebooting blows away it's understanding of channels and shows.  Also, it seems to respond the worst when you are recording something and watching something else, so rebooting causes you to lose what you are recording.  I negative the DVR and am eagerly awaiting the switch to Tivo.  The equipment will not be swapped, so I am a bit nervous there.  Instead, the Tivo software will download to the existing Motorola DVR.  I pray the problem is in the software and not the hardware.  The current cost of the DVR is 10 bucks, the rental on the current DVR will drop to 5, with Tivo cost will be 15.  Last I heard, mid-Sept.

Quote from: DPappy on July 06, 2007, 11:34:20 AM
AT&T is running fiber for their new U-Verse network, but they're only running it to the node instead of the premises, unlike Verizon's FIOS.  My mother-in-law is subscribing to a U-Verse package deal for home phone, DSL, and IPTV.  The bundle package is pretty cheap (like $85/mo.), but the Internet speeds are typical DSL speeds and don't come anywhere close to what FIOS offers.

From what I know about CableCARDs, they're not currently capable of doing on-demand.  There's supposed to be another version of them that will support on-demand, but the cable industry is certainly in no hurry to get them out there.  They're too busy plotting their rate hike to cover the cost of developing set-top boxes that support CableCARDs.  The last thing they want is for 3rd-parties to have the ability to eliminate their lucrative equipment rental fees.  I hate the cable industry.

U-Verse is a stupid joke that ATT is playing trying to keep the states happy.  It's basically DSL shit repackaged as DSL excrement.  It's not like much of ATT's backbone was not fiber already.

I positive hate the cable industry too, but can we also give a share to the Telecoms, at least ATT/SBC (Verizon does seem to have it's act together)?

The Ghost of Desipio Past

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »
FYI all you Comcast internet nerds.

http://tinyurl.com/2fqus5

Check to see if the service is in your area.

http://www.comcast.com/16/

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2007, 12:43:02 PM »
Quote from: The Ghost of Chris Benoit on July 06, 2007, 12:39:46 PM

That first link is not Comcastic.
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2007, 12:57:03 PM »
Quote from: helloWorld on July 06, 2007, 11:18:35 AM
For now, Comcast is the best interwebs you can get at home (see: reasonable price).  I do wish ATT would get off their crappy DSL ass and start building something like Verizon's FiOS.  FTTP is teh steak sauce and I drool over what you can get out on the east coast.

I do indeed get On-Demand through me CableCARDs.

And, I had Verizon as my high-speed provider when I was in NY. Steak sauce.

helloWorld

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2007, 01:07:20 PM »
Quote from: Fork_The_Third on July 06, 2007, 12:57:03 PM

Really?!?  On-Demand was the one reason I did get Tivo (loved it when I had  DirecTV).  My wife was pissed when I decided to switch to Comcast, so going back to Tivo would make her happy and thus increase my happiness levels as well.

How does it work?  Do you bounce over from the Tivo interface into a Comcastic On-Demand interface (on channel 1)?  Please elaborate, as I might very well make the switch.  Also, what do the CableCARDs run (the 3 series has 2, correct?)  Is it a pain to get them from Comcast or can I pick them up as easily as a DVR?

Wow, this is indeed the only site I'll ever need.

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2007, 01:15:33 PM »
Quote from: helloWorld on July 06, 2007, 01:07:20 PM

Really?!?  On-Demand was the one reason I did get Tivo (loved it when I had  DirecTV).  My wife was pissed when I decided to switch to Comcast, so going back to Tivo would make her happy and thus increase my happiness levels as well.

How does it work?  Do you bounce over from the Tivo interface into a Comcastic On-Demand interface (on channel 1)?  Please elaborate, as I might very well make the switch.  Also, what do the CableCARDs run (the 3 series has 2, correct?)  Is it a pain to get them from Comcast or can I pick them up as easily as a DVR?

Wow, this is indeed the only site I'll ever need.

I haven't really played with the OnDemand stuff, I'll have to get back to you on that.

As for the cards, Comcast will send someone out to your house to pop 'em in & configure them at no additional cost. You get 2 cards, they plug into the back of the TiVo. The Series 3 even comes with an HDMI cable, saving you a few bucks. I've got HDMI going into the TV(http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/25039.html), and optical going into my receiver. Bon temps.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2007, 01:22:54 PM »
Quote from: Kermit on July 06, 2007, 12:43:02 PM
Quote from: The Ghost of Chris Benoit on July 06, 2007, 12:39:46 PM

That first link is not Comcastic.

Damn.  Gues you can't just link the attachment.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=109181&t=552670&highlight=comcast

The attach is in the first post.  Free upgrade to 16Mbps...maybe.

DPappy

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2007, 02:03:16 PM »

I had thought that the Series3 TiVo didn't support CableCARD 2.0.  Obviously, I was dead wrong there.  If the cable company provides version 2.0 CableCARDs, then I guess VOD and PPV options should be available through your TiVo.  Neat-o.  I'm curious to know how it works, too.
It may be retarded but McCain's No 2 would still choose life for it. Because she's compassionate like that.  ~Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »
Interesting article on HTPC cablecards.   not sure if it's the same thing as the TIVO ones.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ocur?page=0%2C0

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »
Quote from: DPappy on July 06, 2007, 02:03:16 PM

I had thought that the Series3 TiVo didn't support CableCARD 2.0.  Obviously, I was dead wrong there.  If the cable company provides version 2.0 CableCARDs, then I guess VOD and PPV options should be available through your TiVo.  Neat-o.  I'm curious to know how it works, too.

My only negative about Series 3 is that it doesn't allow network interface between DVRs like Series 2 does...I've got a 2 and 3 hooked up to my living room TV, and a 2 hooked up to my guest room TV, so I can at least move programs from room to room, even if I need to have 2 DVRs running into one TV.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2007, 03:30:57 PM »
Quote from: Fork_The_Third on July 06, 2007, 03:05:24 PM

My only negative about Series 3 is that it doesn't allow network interface between DVRs like Series 2 does...I've got a 2 and 3 hooked up to my living room TV, and a 2 hooked up to my guest room TV, so I can at least move programs from room to room, even if I need to have 2 DVRs running into one TV.

As much as I would love to make out with a Series 3...The HD DVR "rental" from Comcast is $10/month (approx) and the Series 3 TIVO is around $800 (approx).  That's 80 months before the price breaks even.  By then there's more than likely going to be a new version or format out.  If the rumors are true, the DVR "rental" goes to $5/mo (160 months before b/e) and the TIVO model is $15/mo (53 months before b/e). 

That's one of the reasons I ditched D*.  I didn't want to shell out $1000 for their HD receiver (this was before they rented them as well) when I could rent a Comcast one for much cheaper.

DPappy

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2007, 03:45:35 PM »
Quote from: The Ghost of Chris Benoit on July 06, 2007, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: Fork_The_Third on July 06, 2007, 03:05:24 PM

As much as I would love to make out with a Series 3...The HD DVR "rental" from Comcast is $10/month (approx) and the Series 3 TIVO is around $800 (approx).  That's 80 months before the price breaks even.  By then there's more than likely going to be a new version or format out.  If the rumors are true, the DVR "rental" goes to $5/mo (160 months before b/e) and the TIVO model is $15/mo (53 months before b/e). 

That's one of the reasons I ditched D*.  I didn't want to shell out $1000 for their HD receiver (this was before they rented them as well) when I could rent a Comcast one for much cheaper.

You can get a Series3 TiVo from Amazon for under $600.  You're always going to pay more for the TiVo because it's a higher quality product and it's 3rd party.  But I agree that it's still a lot of money to pay up front.

My Series2 will stay in my house until the day it dies.  I just hope that when I'm ready to take the plunge on an upgrade, that TiVo is still offering the ability to transfer my lifetime service to the new one.  Rumor has it that a cheaper version of the Series3 is in the works.