News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Favorite War Movies  ( 27,154 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Favorite War Movies
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 12, 2010, 12:02:26 PM
Quote from: Simmer on April 12, 2010, 11:43:43 AM
Spartacus and Patton for me, unless Spartacus doesn't count.

Patton is Steak Tits Balls on Sauce.  Whatever.  (Blu-Ray version at Costco for about $13 right now).

Not really a war movie per se, but Good Bad and Ugly has an awesome battle sequence.

Is there anything that isn't on sale at Costco for you, Mr. Gitles.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2010, 01:37:16 PM »
Patton is great. Did anyone else see the made for tv followup, the Last Days of Patton? Really well made and quite sad for a tv sequel.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 12, 2010, 08:57:56 AM
I realize I'm way late to the party on this one but with Saving Private Ryan and We Were Soldiers being on all weekend on TNT it got me thinking so here's my list-

11. Tae Guk Gi- This is actually a Korean film about two brothers forced to fight on opposite sides during the war. I saw it on a shelf at Hollywood Video and watched it because I had nothing better to do and I'm tired of Hollywood ignoring the Korean War (someday, Grandpa, someday). It's an incredibly moving film if you don't mind subtitles. Or if you speak Korean.

Korea?  How about "MASH"?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2010, 12:49:04 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 12, 2010, 08:09:02 PM
I realize I'm way late to the party on this one but with Saving Private Ryan and We Were Soldiers being on all weekend on TNT it got me thinking so here's my list-

11. Tae Guk Gi- This is actually a Korean film about two brothers forced to fight on opposite sides during the war. I saw it on a shelf at Hollywood Video and watched it because I had nothing better to do and I'm tired of Hollywood ignoring the Korean War (someday, Grandpa, someday). It's an incredibly moving film if you don't mind subtitles. Or if you speak Korean.

Korea?  How about "MASH"?

I realize the novel was based on Altman's experiences in Korea, but the movie and tv show were both clearly co-opted and used as metaphors for Vietnam. Not movies about the Korean War in it's own right.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 13, 2010, 12:49:04 AM
I realize the novel was based on Altman's experiences in Korea, but the movie and tv show were both clearly co-opted and used as metaphors for Vietnam. Not movies about the Korean War in it's own right.

Altman did the film.  Richard Hooker wrote the book.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »
I thought Ring Lardner's kid wrote the book.  Or was that the screenplay?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2010, 10:36:51 AM »
Quote from: MAD on April 13, 2010, 10:35:33 AM
I thought Ring Lardner's kid wrote the book.  Or was that the screenplay?

Screenplay.  Then Altman basically ad libbed the whole thing on teh set.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »
Either way my point still stands. The "Korea" in M*A*S*H* is clearly supposed to be Vietnam.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »

15. Hurt Locker- I work with a bunch of former EOD techs on a daily basis, so I can say on pretty good authority that the accuracy in this film is shit. I still really like the message though.

Who do you work with?  Maybe I know them.  For realz.  They former Army or some other service?
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2010, 10:20:20 PM »
Quote from: JD on April 13, 2010, 09:15:20 PM

15. Hurt Locker- I work with a bunch of former EOD techs on a daily basis, so I can say on pretty good authority that the accuracy in this film is shit. I still really like the message though.

Who do you work with?  Maybe I know them.  For realz.  They former Army or some other service?

I think they're all former Army. I work for the Ordnance and Explosives section of the Army Corps of Engineers in Rock Island. Technically they're all still EOD, they just go to old defense sites and make sure all of the ordnance has been removed and the land is safe for civilian use. Most of them are in their late 40s-early 60s, though.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 13, 2010, 10:20:20 PM
Quote from: JD on April 13, 2010, 09:15:20 PM

I think they're all former Army. I work for the Ordnance and Explosives section of the Army Corps of Engineers in Rock Island. Technically they're all still EOD, they just go to old defense sites and make sure all of the ordnance has been removed and the land is safe for civilian use. Most of them are in their late 40s-early 60s, though.

Getting IL wages and filing IA taxes? Move to IL and get rid of the complications.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 13, 2010, 07:14:04 PM
Either way my point still stands. The "Korea" in M*A*S*H* is clearly supposed to be Vietnam.

Eisenhower ended the Korean War before the Selective Service System got around to drafting me.  Otherwise I could speak authoritatively about MASH.  However, I don't think that the movie or the TV series is really about the Vietnam War.  The movie and the tv series are both anti-war, but not in the same way that popular culture opposed the Vietnam War.  Anger about Vietnam did get taken out on the people who served in that war.  We didn't recognize heroism because the war was deemed to be wrong.  Shame to say, we didn't believe that there were good guys on our side.   I won't go so far as to say that we believed that they were all Sgt Calleys (sp?).  There was nothing humorous or ennobling about Vietnam in the popular culture. Therefore, when we laughed along with Hawkeye, Radar, Trapper John, et al, it sure didn't make us think about Vietnam.    MASH was the Korean War version of CATCH 22, nothing more.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Having referenced it in the previous post, I will add Catch 22 to my list of favorite war movies.  No where near as good as the book.   But who reads nowadays?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 14, 2010, 04:45:50 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 13, 2010, 07:14:04 PM

Eisenhower ended the Korean War before the Selective Service System got around to drafting me.  Otherwise I could speak authoritatively about MASH.  However, I don't think that the movie or the TV series is really about the Vietnam War.  The movie and the tv series are both anti-war, but not in the same way that popular culture opposed the Vietnam War.  Anger about Vietnam did get taken out on the people who served in that war.  We didn't recognize heroism because the war was deemed to be wrong.  Shame to say, we didn't believe that there were good guys on our side.   I won't go so far as to say that we believed that they were all Sgt Calleys (sp?).  There was nothing humorous or ennobling about Vietnam in the popular culture. Therefore, when we laughed along with Hawkeye, Radar, Trapper John, et al, it sure didn't make us think about Vietnam.    MASH was the Korean War version of CATCH 22, nothing more.
"Though the series was set in Korea, M*A*S*H, both the movie and the series, was initially developed as a critique of the Vietnam War."
http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=mash

Quote"Like the movie, the series was as much an allegory about the Vietnam War (still in progress when the show began) as it was about the Korean War.[3] It took a number of minor creative liberties with the actual facts of the Korean War."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M*A*S*H_%28TV_series%29

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »
I respectfully dissent.