News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 550,948 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #2880 on: September 22, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 22, 2017, 01:06:34 PM
Quote from: Brownie on September 22, 2017, 12:15:06 PM
They were my girlfriend. The Cubs were my wife.

Words fail me.

Would you say the Cubs mended your broken heart?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2881 on: September 22, 2017, 02:37:50 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 22, 2017, 02:22:37 PM

Words fail me.

Too many times the Cubs broke my mended heart.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2882 on: September 22, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 22, 2017, 01:48:34 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 22, 2017, 01:42:12 PM
This should be in the "I admit it..." thread, but until 1998, I was a reasonably big Brewers fan. When I was a kid, our antenna on top of our house in Libertyville would pick up Milwaukee stations, including Channel 18, which had exciting AMERICAN LEAGUE baseball action in the early '80s. So, I'd watch the Cubs during the day and put on the Brewers at night.

This continued when we got cable as they included Channel 18 among the basic cable channels. So all of a sudden I had access not only to the Cubs, but the Brewers and the hated Mets and the dull Barves. The Brewers were exciting when they won 13 in a row in 1987 and Molitor had his 39-game hitting streak. I went to a ton of games at County Stadium; I saw Nolan Ryan win #300 there, I liked the early 90s Brewers teams, particularly the 1992 team with Cal Eldred and Yount and Molitor and GREG VAUGHN. I was in high school then, and a trip up to Milwaukee, a $4 bleacher ticket, $6 parking split 4 ways, and cheap ballpark food made for a cheap date.

One summer during college I was in the bleachers for a Sox-Brewers game. I think it was 1995 (could have been 1994), and the place was packed with Sox fans. I embedded myself with the natives, and stuck out a long rain delay that occurred largely before beer sales were cut off. By 1 am as the Brewers completed a comeback, one of my new fast friends told me "It's a good thing all those assholes from Illinois have left."

They were my girlfriend. The Cubs were my wife. When Bud Selig moved the Brewers into the NL, it was like your girlfriend moving in next door to you and your wife, and your girlfriend picking fights with her. The dalliance had to end. So, it did, with the exception of the last weekend of 2003 and then the 2011 National League Championship Series. I attended Game 6 at Miller Park and after exposure to Cardinals fans seated nearby, it was impossible to stay neutral.

But screw them all up there.

I am completely unrepentant in my love for Harvey's Wallbangers, Gorman Thomas in particular.

Non-Cubs teams I liked a lot:

2014-15 Royals
2004 Red Sox
2002 Angels
Zito/Mulder/Hudson Era A's
Lou Piniella Era Mariners
90s Indians.

The 90s/2000s had several teams that should absolutely have won rings (A's/Mariners/Indians) and got cockblocked by that god awful Yankee dynasty.

I tend to follow the Twins because I was in ollege in the Twin Cities when they won the World Series in 87 and the team's in that era were fun to watch.

I was also in college up there in 85 and throughly enjoyed the misery of Vikings fans that year. The McMahon game on Thursday night is one of my favorite NFL games ever.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2883 on: September 22, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »
Hahaha, fuck the Brewers. Next time Javy robs him, I want Braun to finally go all the way and cry.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2884 on: September 22, 2017, 11:08:34 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 22, 2017, 10:47:09 PM
Hahaha, fuck the Brewers. Next time Javy robs him, I want Braun to finally go all the way and cry.

If I live to 120 and have forgotten everything else in my life, I will always have Addison Russell keeping the tag on Eric Sogard and the gnashing of teeth after.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2885 on: September 22, 2017, 11:09:45 PM »
This should be in the "I admit it..." thread, but until 1998, I was a reasonably big Brewers fan. When I was a kid, our antenna on top of our house in Libertyville would pick up Milwaukee stations, including Channel 18, which had exciting AMERICAN LEAGUE baseball action in the early '80s. So, I'd watch the Cubs during the day and put on the Brewers at night.

This continued when we got cable as they included Channel 18 among the basic cable channels. So all of a sudden I had access not only to the Cubs, but the Brewers and the hated Mets and the dull Barves. The Brewers were exciting when they won 13 in a row in 1987 and Molitor had his 39-game hitting streak. I went to a ton of games at County Stadium; I saw Nolan Ryan win #300 there, I liked the early 90s Brewers teams, particularly the 1992 team with Cal Eldred and Yount and Molitor and GREG VAUGHN. I was in high school then, and a trip up to Milwaukee, a $4 bleacher ticket, $6 parking split 4 ways, and cheap ballpark food made for a cheap date.

One summer during college I was in the bleachers for a Sox-Brewers game. I think it was 1995 (could have been 1994), and the place was packed with Sox fans. I embedded myself with the natives, and stuck out a long rain delay that occurred largely before beer sales were cut off. By 1 am as the Brewers completed a comeback, one of my new fast friends told me "It's a good thing all those assholes from Illinois have left."

They were my girlfriend. The Cubs were my wife. When Bud Selig moved the Brewers into the NL, it was like your girlfriend moving in next door to you and your wife, and your girlfriend picking fights with her. The dalliance had to end. So, it did, with the exception of the last weekend of 2003 and then the 2011 National League Championship Series. I attended Game 6 at Miller Park and after exposure to Cardinals fans seated nearby, it was impossible to stay neutral.

Similar background for me. I grew up in southern Wisconsin and FUCKING loved baseball. I was primarily a Brewers fan (influenced by my dad), but the Cubs were on TV every day (and I FUCKING loved baseball), and the Brewers were on maybe once a week, so I began to tilt to the Cubs. But, man, those Brewers teams were fun as hell. Then in college in Madison, spring day and early fall days could be spent blowing off classes, watching the Cubs on TV, and drinking beer (this was mostly pre-lights at Wrigley), and the transformation was compete.

I still have a soft spot for the Brewers, but I really enjoy the Cubs beating them and seeing all the sads from their fans.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2886 on: September 23, 2017, 01:54:54 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 22, 2017, 11:08:34 PM

If I live to 120 and have forgotten everything else in my life, I will always have Addison Russell keeping the tag on Eric Sogard and the gnashing of teeth after.

That was beautiful. Screw that slapdick little turd. I'm shocked he isn't automatically a Cardinal on appearance alone.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2887 on: September 24, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 23, 2017, 01:54:54 AM
Quote from: Brownie on September 22, 2017, 11:08:34 PM

That was beautiful. Screw that slapdick little turd. I'm shocked he isn't automatically a Cardinal on appearance alone.

He looks like the kid in "Speechless".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2888 on: September 25, 2017, 08:12:05 AM »
That was a great series and it reminded me a lot of the NLDS vs the Giants. Cubs win first two in tight contests, blow a lead then come back then lose game 3 but wear out the opponent in the process, then win Game 4 to snap their necks.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2889 on: September 25, 2017, 10:26:46 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 22, 2017, 02:22:37 PM

Words fail me.

God, I had forgotten about that guy. WTF ever happened to him, I wonder?
M'lady.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2890 on: September 25, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »

I am completely unrepentant in my love for Harvey's Wallbangers, Gorman Thomas in particular.

Goddamn that '82 World Series was fun (I had just immigrated to America and didn't know better).  Harvey's Wallbangers vs a team whose leading HR hitter had 19 that year but had like 6 guys who stole at least 15 or some such shit.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2891 on: September 25, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 25, 2017, 11:14:06 AM

Goddamn that '82 World Series was fun (I had just immigrated to America and didn't know better).  Harvey's Wallbangers vs a team whose leading HR hitter had 19 that year but had like 6 guys who stole at least 15 or some such shit.

Cardinals had just TWO double-digit HR hitters that year. George Hendrick had 19, Darrell Porter had 12. But indeed they had four guys that stole at least 24 bags and 7 in double digits. I'm guessing that team is basically the team of Scrap Gods that basically all of Cardinal Mythology is built around.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2892 on: September 25, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2017, 11:32:08 AM

Cardinals had just TWO double-digit HR hitters that year. George Hendrick had 19, Darrell Porter had 12. But indeed they had four guys that stole at least 24 bags and 7 in double digits. I'm guessing that team is basically the team of Scrap Gods that basically all of Cardinal Mythology is built around.

The only good thing about Whitey Herzog was how accurately you can set your clock by his hair style.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2893 on: September 25, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2017, 11:32:08 AM

Probably started with Brock and the fact that for most if its existence, Busch was a canyon that was hard to hit dingers in, but yeah.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2894 on: September 25, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
This article is old and I'd like to see how if last year's Cubs maybe crack that top 5/10 teams list, but the 10 Weakest World Series Winners since 1946, per Joe Posnanski (based on how that team ranked in MLB in their respective seasons in runs scored and runs allowed):

10- 2010 Giants
9- 1982 Cardinals
8- 1959 Dodgers
7- 1964 Cardinals
6- 1996 Yankees
5- 2003 Marlins
4- 1985 Royals
3- 2000 Yankees
2- 2006 Cardinals
1- 1987 Twins

How very, very Cardinalsy that they have THREE of the ten most mediocre teams to win a world series. Also painful that the 2003 Marlins are on that list. And really annoying that 2 of those 4 Yankee teams were mediocre and just hot as shit in October, denying us something good like a Mariners or Cleveland Championship.