News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 549,339 )

SD

• Victim Of The Cubs Crack/Quack Medical Staff
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2007, 10:53:39 PM »
After the Cubs game, besides listening to the Brewers @ Cardinals game like I mentioned, I also got to watch Marlins @ Giants on MLB.TV, and I listened to Tigers @ Angels on LA radio (preparing for a Slak joke!).  Each of these broadcasts went out of their way to talk about the situation in the NL Central, and how the Cubs were barnstorming the scene.  The Angels booth even mentioned the Jay Payton rumors (shudder).  That gives some perspective though, when a division-leading team from outside your league takes notice.  Also with the Giants talking about it amidst The Travelling Barry Bonds Circus.  We're not just pipe dreaming here, the rest of the league knows -- the Cubs are for serious/serial/cereal.

Here's what I think:

I think the Cubs are going to play their best baseball in August and September.

I think the Brewers are gonna fold like a seven deuce off-suit.

I think the Cardinals...  ...I could give a shit about the Cardinals.

I will warn everyone right here and right now, though.  BC and I had this same exact identical exchange back in 2004.  We know how that season ended.  Damn you, BC!  
Alpha And Omega.  The Beginning And The End.  The First And The Last.

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2007, 10:57:30 PM »
So, last night, the Cardinals were at 53 losses and the team with the fewest losses in their division had 48 losses.  Today, the Cards are at 53 losses and the team with the fewest losses in their division has 48 losses.

Where's the problem?

Yes, I fear Walt Jockety's ability to positive a team far more than I fear Jim Hendry's same ability.  And 5 games is a might closer than I'd prefer.

But without Carpenter and not much in the minors, how good can St. Louis really get?

Even *I* am happy right now.

StewiesBandwagon

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »
Quote from: Chuckosan on July 29, 2007, 10:57:30 PM
So, last night, the Cardinals were at 53 losses and the team with the fewest losses in their division had 48 losses.  Today, the Cards are at 53 losses and the team with the fewest losses in their division has 48 losses.

Where's the problem?

Yes, I fear Walt Jockety's ability to positive a team far more than I fear Jim Hendry's same ability.  And 5 games is a might closer than I'd prefer.

But without Carpenter and not much in the minors, how good can St. Louis really get?

We'd be crazy if we weren't waiting for the other shoe to drop; we're Cub fans after all.

That being said, there are a lot of things working in the Cubs favor that weren't the case in recent memory:

A rotation that's far better than the Cardinals.
A bullpen that's finally the equal of the Cardinals.
More offense than the Cardinals.
A better third baseman.
A couple of David Eckstein clones on the infield.
Quiet confidence.
A manager that doesn't build his lineup around Jose Macias and Neifi Perez.
Scrappiness in the late innings (see Friday night as an example)--this team never gives up.

GreatWhiteHope7

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2007, 01:14:40 AM »
I only caught the postgame interview with DeRosa today, but from the way he talked, it sounds like this is a team that expects to go out and win every game. The whole "quiet confidence" thing is what strikes me as the biggest difference between this year's team and past teams.
"Can you die from lyme disease?"

"No, you can't die from lyme disease, well, unless you have lyme disease and you get hit by a car."

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2007, 01:27:10 AM »
Quote from: StewiesBandwagon on July 29, 2007, 11:41:20 PM

Where's the problem?

We'd be crazy if we weren't waiting for the other shoe to drop; we're Cub fans after all.

That being said, there are a lot of things working in the Cubs favor that weren't the case in recent memory:

A better third baseman.
Quiet confidence.
Scrappiness in the late innings (see Friday night as an example)--this team never gives up.

Plus, with DeRosa...more fat chicks.

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2007, 05:21:43 AM »
Quote from: RockTheIvy on July 30, 2007, 01:27:10 AM
Quote from: StewiesBandwagon on July 29, 2007, 11:41:20 PM

Where's the problem?

A better third baseman.
Quiet confidence.

Plus, with DeRosa...more fat chicks.

Not as many as the 89 or 98 Cubs. Gracie could pull the heavyweights.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »
Quote from: GreatWhiteHope7 on July 30, 2007, 01:14:40 AM
I only caught the postgame interview with DeRosa today, but from the way he talked, it sounds like this is a team that expects to go out and win every game. The whole "quiet confidence" thing is what strikes me as the biggest difference between this year's team and past teams.

If quiet confidence is the same thing as "not playing baseball like you're got your head up your ass" then I agree.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2007, 08:40:22 AM »
I had to turn down tickets that are NEXT to the Phillies' dugout today because of a final.

I promised my wife I'd take her back to Hawaii if the Cubs made it to the World Series. If they won, she can decide to go anywhere else. There's no way I can afford that.

If the Cubs are on the verge of clinching the division in early September, I'm sure we might lose the emcee of a charity golf outing that I'm involved with.

BC, these are the things you should negative.

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2007, 08:43:27 AM »
Quote from: TJ on July 30, 2007, 08:40:22 AM

If the Cubs are on the verge of clinching the division in early September, I'm sure we might lose the emcee of a charity golf outing that I'm involved with.

If they're on the verge in early September, that means they're 20 games up.

Down In Front

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2007, 09:01:34 AM »
Quote from: Fourk on July 30, 2007, 08:43:27 AM

And the CARDINALS are still in our division.
8/8/07:

Dawn of the NEW Positive

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2007, 10:31:51 AM »

August is a long month.. Should the Cubs go 22-6, the Brewers 6-22, the Cardinals 14-14, the standings would be something like this come the first of September:

GB
Cubs                --
Cardinals          15
Brewers          17 1/2

Of course, BC will moan about how this will give the Cubs nothing to play for in September, ensuring an early exit against the Wild Card Dodgers or D-backs.

Me, I'm going the LaRussa route and pouring myself definitely a few glasses of red wine to savor. Anyone for 2007 Vintage Hendry?

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2007, 10:34:44 AM »
Quote from: TJ on July 30, 2007, 10:31:51 AM

August is a long month.. Should the Cubs go 22-6, the Brewers 6-22, the Cardinals 14-14, the standings would be something like this come the first of September:

GB
Cubs                --
Cardinals          15
Brewers          17 1/2

Of course, BC will moan about how this will give the Cubs nothing to play for in September, ensuring an early exit against the Wild Card Dodgers or D-backs.

Me, I'm going the LaRussa route and pouring myself definitely a few glasses of red wine to savor. Anyone for 2007 Vintage Hendry?

I'd decant it, sure - but it's still not mature enough to drink.

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2007, 10:36:33 AM »
Quote from: Fourk on July 30, 2007, 10:34:44 AM
Quote from: TJ on July 30, 2007, 10:31:51 AM

GB
Cubs                --
Cardinals          15
Brewers          17 1/2

I'd decant it, sure - but it's still not mature enough to drink.

The 2002 vintage (pictured above) is not very tasty. It's fermented sweat of Farns and Hundley. However, you're wasted in no time.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2007, 10:37:18 AM »
I'm not going BC on anybody but I'm not going to think about final standings until late September. Right now, I'm enjoying today, because today is a beautiful thing. I'm not worried about the Cardinals, the Brewers, the D-Bags or anybody.

Theodore Roosevelt Lilly, Ogdens. Just win tonight, baby... 
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2007, 10:38:40 AM »
Quote from: ~Apex on July 30, 2007, 10:37:18 AM
I'm not going BC on anybody but I'm not going to think about final standings until late September. Right now, I'm enjoying today, because today is a beautiful thing. I'm not worried about the Cardinals, the Brewers, the D-Bags or anybody.

Theodore Roosevelt Lilly, Ogdens. Just win tonight, baby... 

I'll drink a giblet of Hendry 2002 to that. Apex, when do you make your grand entrance into Cook County?