News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 550,411 )

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #720 on: March 01, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 01, 2008, 05:46:54 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/marquis-to-cubs.html

Marquis: Start me or trade me

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/lou-on-marquis.html

Lou: Fuck you, you can go.

Making my day even better. Fucking A.

Lou can do some things well and sometimes he makes a dumb move, but I love this man.

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #721 on: March 01, 2008, 06:59:50 PM »
Bacon steak sauce party if Marquis takes Dempster with him.
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #722 on: March 01, 2008, 07:35:15 PM »
Quote from: Simmer on March 01, 2008, 06:59:50 PM

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves...small victories.

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #723 on: March 01, 2008, 07:39:21 PM »

Let's never mention bacon and those two in the same sentence.

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #724 on: March 01, 2008, 08:06:57 PM »
QuoteAfter answering a question about Kerry Wood's performance, Piniella stopped in mid-sentence and began talking about Marquis again.

"You know, that galls me about Marquis, it really does," he said. "I'm not pleased with that comment. We've had a good camp over here, everybody's getting an opportunity. Go out and win a spot in the rotation."

Lou's the balls.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #725 on: March 01, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »
Quote from: Mike D on March 01, 2008, 08:06:57 PM
QuoteAfter answering a question about Kerry Wood's performance, Piniella stopped in mid-sentence and began talking about Marquis again.

"You know, that galls me about Marquis, it really does," he said. "I'm not pleased with that comment. We've had a good camp over here, everybody's getting an opportunity. Go out and win a spot in the rotation."

Lou's the balls.

And now Jon Lieber has a jorb.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #726 on: March 01, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »
Quote from: Slaky+ on March 01, 2008, 07:39:21 PM

I think Marquis may be upset if you associate him with bacon (not sure though as he is not good enough to make the pamphlet in any case).   Thank heavens for Lou-- a man who understands what the "earn it business" truly is.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #727 on: March 02, 2008, 09:59:14 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on March 01, 2008, 08:41:13 PM

I think Marquis may be upset if you associate him with bacon (not sure though as he is not good enough to make the pamphlet in any case).   Thank heavens for Lou-- a man who understands what the "earn it business" truly is.

I immediately thought of that quote from Dusty when I heard this. I have a sneaking suspicion that Marquis would have the #3 job on lockdown in a Dusty regime, and Rich would be battling Dempster for the #5 spot.

So who's going to take this pud off our hands?

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #728 on: March 02, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »
Quote from: RV on March 02, 2008, 09:59:14 AM
Quote from: thehawk on March 01, 2008, 08:41:13 PM

I immediately thought of that quote from Dusty when I heard this. I have a sneaking suspicion that Marquis would have the #3 job on lockdown in a Dusty regime, and Rich would be battling Dempster for the #5 spot.

So who's going to take this pud off our hands?

Boston, perchance?  Coco Crisp for Marquis?

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #729 on: March 02, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »
What type of slumpbuster would do this to poor Pie?

"outfielder Felix Pie missed a couple of days early because of a twisted testicle."
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Taylor

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #730 on: March 02, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »
MLB Trade Rumors:

Quote3:28pm: Fielder gets $670K, to be exact.  Doug Melvin was surprised at Prince's public displeasure.

1:46pm: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Prince Fielder is not pleased with his contract renewal, executed this morning.

Rumored to be in the $650,000 range, Fielder's agent, Scott Boras, indicated his client's displeasure. Ryan Howard's $900,000 contract for 2007 was cited as the figure the first baseman hoped to fetch for the season.  Fielder made $415,000 last season.

According to Haudricourt, the Brewers used a formula they go by for players with zero to three years experience, a formula which they also used to renew the 2008 contracts for Ryan Braun and Corey Hart.  While the amount of Hart's renewal is unknown, Braun's contract was renewed at $455,000. Haudricourt goes on to conjecture that this morning's renewal has hurt the Brewers' chance of negotiating a multi-year deal with Fielder before he is arbitration-eligible next winter.

Haudricourt has predicted that Fielder will pull roughly $10MM if his case goes to arbitration, in light of Howard's recent arbitration victory.

Upsetting the youngest player to reach 50 HRs seems like an unwise decision on the Brewers' part.  It would be nice to lock up a player of Fielder's talent long-term, but it seems the Brewers have made that prospect less likely.
"Now I can start to see some of the ways that this team has lost ball games." Lou

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #731 on: March 03, 2008, 05:32:40 AM »
Quote from: Taylor on March 02, 2008, 06:42:49 PM
MLB Trade Rumors:

Quote3:28pm: Fielder gets $670K, to be exact.  Doug Melvin was surprised at Prince's public displeasure.

1:46pm: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Prince Fielder is not pleased with his contract renewal, executed this morning.

Rumored to be in the $650,000 range, Fielder's agent, Scott Boras, indicated his client's displeasure. Ryan Howard's $900,000 contract for 2007 was cited as the figure the first baseman hoped to fetch for the season.  Fielder made $415,000 last season.

According to Haudricourt, the Brewers used a formula they go by for players with zero to three years experience, a formula which they also used to renew the 2008 contracts for Ryan Braun and Corey Hart.  While the amount of Hart's renewal is unknown, Braun's contract was renewed at $455,000. Haudricourt goes on to conjecture that this morning's renewal has hurt the Brewers' chance of negotiating a multi-year deal with Fielder before he is arbitration-eligible next winter.

Haudricourt has predicted that Fielder will pull roughly $10MM if his case goes to arbitration, in light of Howard's recent arbitration victory.

Upsetting the youngest player to reach 50 HRs seems like an unwise decision on the Brewers' part.  It would be nice to lock up a player of Fielder's talent long-term, but it seems the Brewers have made that prospect less likely.

There goes the Milwaukee dynasty.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Taylor

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #732 on: March 03, 2008, 10:45:19 AM »
STLtoday:

QuoteJUPITER, Fla. -- The Cardinals will lend former pitcher Sidney Ponson a place and a mound to throw for scouts Thursday at lunchtime.

Ponson, who made 13 starts for the Cardinals in 2006, is said to have slimmed down to 245 pounds and cranked up his fastball to 91 mph.

Because he'll be on their spring-training campus, the Cardinals will have scouts in attendance, and they are interested is seeing what he has. "Just keep an open mind," manager Tony La Russa said.

The Cards are waiting to see how high he can get his blood alcohol level before they consider signing him.
"Now I can start to see some of the ways that this team has lost ball games." Lou

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #733 on: March 03, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »
Quote from: Taylor on March 03, 2008, 10:45:19 AM
STLtoday:

QuoteJUPITER, Fla. -- The Cardinals will lend former pitcher Sidney Ponson a place and a mound to throw for scouts Thursday at lunchtime.

Ponson, who made 13 starts for the Cardinals in 2006, is said to have slimmed down to 245 pounds and cranked up his fastball to 91 mph.

Because he'll be on their spring-training campus, the Cardinals will have scouts in attendance, and they are interested is seeing what he has. "Just keep an open mind," manager Tony La Russa said.

The Cards are waiting to see how high significant he can get his blood alcohol level before they consider signing him.

Geniused.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #734 on: March 03, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
QuotePonson, who made 13 starts for the Cardinals in 2006, is said to have slimmed down to 245 pounds and cranked up his fastball to 91 mph.

Assuming his listed height of 6'1 is correct, the BMI calculator gives him a score of 32.3. Not to worry guys, Sidney is still safely in the obese zone.

QuoteUnderweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater