News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 549,649 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #780 on: March 21, 2008, 05:50:16 PM »
Quote from: Mike D on March 21, 2008, 11:59:06 AM
Quote from: butthead on March 21, 2008, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: Dave B on March 21, 2008, 10:17:24 AM
From Crazy Rumor Guy:

"According to Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers are targeting Cubs reliever Mike Wuertz.  He notes that the Cubs like Marcus Thames and Brandon Inge.  Thames' inability to play center and Inge's contract could be issues though, in my opinion. 

Wuertz, 29, is an underrated reliever with a nasty slider.  Given the state of Detroit's bullpen, he could see save chances if acquired. This was his first year of arbitration eligibility, and he settled at $860K.  Wuertz is pretty far down in the Cubs' bullpen pecking order, for some reason."

Thames: Maybe. Inge: Nah.

Why would we want either of these guys?

Quote from: Mike D on March 21, 2008, 10:28:45 AM
I had honestly forgotten all about Michael Wuertz. 

I thought you remembered everything.

I remember drinking with Dolan at Kitty O'Shea's at the 2005 Cubs Convention and seeing Wuertz get carded by the bartender, but somehow failed to remember he was still on this team.  I'm slipping, I guess.

I saw him pitch on TV last Sunday against the Angels' taxi squad. Typical Mike. Filthy.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #781 on: March 21, 2008, 07:03:08 PM »
They shower after, Peck.  After.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #782 on: March 22, 2008, 12:45:01 AM »
Quote from: BC on July 28, 2007, 06:06:55 PM
You guys don't get to see them nearly as much as I do living in Central Illinois. There was a game in '04 where they looked awful against the A's for eight innings but thanks to an error on a relatively easy play by Oakland they were able to score three in the ninth and won. They then went something like 26-10 after that game... The lesson is to never count those bastards out. I would rather take the short-term hit and have the Brewers win the game tonight and tomorrow just because I have seen the Cardinals get one lucky bounce or one lucky play and turn it into a huge winning streak...

This thread shall outlive us all. Thank Christ.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Taylor2

• Taylor2. Now with more sarcastic venom.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #783 on: March 25, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
MLB Trade Rumors:

QuoteAccording to Tom Haudricourt, the Brewers have released 29 year-old starter Claudio Vargas.  It's a very surprising move.  He's already cleared waivers; Haudricourt isn't sure how much the Brewers will save of his $3.6MM salary.  Just like that, the Brewers' starting pitching surplus is pretty much gone.

Even if the ERAs haven't been there, you have to credit Vargas for good peripheral stats (6.43 K/9, 3.48 BB/9 for his career).  To me he's an affordable #4 starter with the chance to post 175 innings of 4.50 ball.  All sorts of pitching-starved clubs should be vying for his services.
01/20/2013

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #784 on: March 25, 2008, 04:12:48 PM »
Quote from: Taylor2 on March 25, 2008, 02:56:46 PM
MLB Trade Rumors:

QuoteAccording to Tom Haudricourt, the Brewers have released 29 year-old starter Claudio Vargas.  It's a very surprising move.  He's already cleared waivers; Haudricourt isn't sure how much the Brewers will save of his $3.6MM salary.  Just like that, the Brewers' starting pitching surplus is pretty much gone.

Even if the ERAs haven't been there, you have to credit Vargas for good peripheral stats (6.43 K/9, 3.48 BB/9 for his career).  To me he's an affordable #4 starter with the chance to post 175 innings of 4.50 ball.  All sorts of pitching-starved clubs should be vying for his services.

Strangely, one of the pitching-starved clubs who could use someone like him is the Milwaukee Brewers.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #785 on: March 31, 2008, 08:00:55 PM »
Favorite bit from SI's baseball preview...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2008/previews/cardinals.html

QuoteSt. Louis thinks Carpenter's return will provide the team with a shot in the arm in July—"When we add him," says Mozeliak, "it'll be like making a trade for a top starter."

2008 is really shaping up to be a year for turnabout-is-fair-play.

Runner up, from the Reds' "Consider This" file...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2008/previews/reds.html

QuoteThe pairing of veteran-friendly manager Dusty Baker with a roster of high-ceiling rookies, like the Reds', is a curious one, but there can be no doubt here: Cincinnati should start the season with Jay Bruce as its everyday centerfielder and Joey Votto as the regular first baseman... Every day these two players spend out of the Reds' lineup—or in the minors—jeopardizes an intriguing team's chances to play in October.
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #786 on: March 31, 2008, 08:26:42 PM »
Quote from: Thrillho on March 31, 2008, 08:00:55 PM
Favorite bit from SI's baseball preview...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2008/previews/cardinals.html

QuoteSt. Louis thinks Carpenter's return will provide the team with a shot in the armbutt in July—"When we add himYou know the Genius," says Mozeliak, "it'll be like making a trade for a top starterhe likes his players on the juice."

2008 is really shaping up to be a year for turnabout-is-fair-play.

strike'd and bold'd and fix'd
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

Taylor2

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #787 on: March 31, 2008, 08:49:23 PM »
QuoteAccording to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Braves have signed Scott Spiezio to a minor league deal.  Spiezio, 35, hit .269/.354/.386 in 223 ABs for the Cardinals last year.

Spiezio was released by the Cards in February when they learned of his arrest warrant related to a drunk-driving incident in December.  The Cardinals paid him $2.4MM to go away.

It doesn't mention what color he's going to dye is ball warmer.
01/20/2013

Wampa

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #788 on: March 31, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Quote from: Taylor2 on March 31, 2008, 08:49:23 PM
QuoteAccording to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Braves have signed Scott Spiezio to a minor league deal.  Spiezio, 35, hit .269/.354/.386 in 223 ABs for the Cardinals last year.

Spiezio was released by the Cards in February when they learned of his arrest warrant related to a drunk-driving incident in December.  The Cardinals paid him $2.4MM to go away.

It doesn't mention what color he's going to dye is ball warmer.

Are you talking about Edmonds?  He's in SD now..but he likes to go with the ghay blonde highlights....

CP

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #789 on: April 05, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
um... paul bako wins a game for the reds
did i miss where this got brought up?

Taylor2

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #790 on: April 06, 2008, 09:25:44 PM »
Quote from: CP on April 05, 2008, 11:13:56 PM
um... paul bako wins a game for the reds
did i miss where this got brought up?

The sun even shines on a dog's ass occasionally.
01/20/2013

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #791 on: April 07, 2008, 11:49:28 AM »
Phil Rogers ranks the Satanic Fowl #7 in his first "Power Rankings" poll. He's all excited over their 5-1 start. What he doesn't mention is that it was done at home against the Rockies (2-1) and a sweep over the Nationals (and the back of their shitty rotation). Washington is god-awful, but they may be better than the SF Giants.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #792 on: April 07, 2008, 11:55:46 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on April 07, 2008, 11:49:28 AM
Phil Rogers ranks the Satanic Fowl #7 in his first "Power Rankings" poll. He's all excited over their 5-1 start. What he doesn't mention is that it was done at home against the Rockies (2-1) and a sweep over the Nationals (and the back of their shitty rotation). Washington is god-awful, but they may be better than the SF Giants.

I don't have the stomach to read his crap...so I'll go ahead and assume that he has Detroit 30th.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #793 on: April 07, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »
Nope, 31st (behind the Orioles, but ahead of the Giants).
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #794 on: April 07, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!