News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 550,269 )

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #975 on: May 01, 2008, 08:27:21 AM »
Quote from: HST Redux on May 01, 2008, 07:40:11 AM
"I mean, we can't even get the stinkin' pitcher out, we're in trouble," he said. "My goodness, a two-run lead and we can't even get out of the stinkin' inning. That's unacceptable, and it won't happen again."

Owings isn't really a typical pitcher.  Cooper's probably too dumb to know this though.

The guy has a 1.044 OPS in 79 career at bats.  If he got Tommy John Disease or something and couldn't pitch anymore, he'd be able to make it as a hitter.

Taylor2

• Taylor2. Now with more sarcastic venom.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #976 on: May 01, 2008, 08:28:16 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=745900

QuoteTurnbow (15.63 ERA) put a capper on the ugly evening for the Brewers, surrendering six runs on four hits and four walks while recording only two outs.

Yost said the previous day that he couldn't trust Turnbow to pitch in a tight game. But the inability to even finish off a rout is the kind of thing that can get a pitcher shipped out.

If the Brewers do get rid of him the Cardinals should pick him up. The man needs to be on some opposing team in the NL Central.
01/20/2013

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #977 on: May 01, 2008, 08:33:47 AM »
Quote from: Slaky+ on May 01, 2008, 08:16:18 AM
Too bad Micah Owings batting stats don't count in our fantasy league. His 6th inning pinch-hit home run helped to defeat the Astros last night.

Astros manager Cecil Cooper called it "by far, by far" the worst loss of the season.

"I mean, we can't even get the stinkin' pitcher out, we're in trouble," he said. "My goodness, a two-run lead and we can't even get out of the stinkin' inning. That's unacceptable, and it won't happen again."

Yes, Cecil, it will happen again.

Why do you say that?  Cecil made a promise that his team will never lose a lead after the sixth inning ever again.  He made it clear that losing such a lead would not be acceptable.  I think "unacceptable" is the word that he used.  Personally, I find it refreshing that a manager would make such a guarantee.  If only Lou would come to his good senses and give us cubs fans the peace of mind the Astros fans have. 

Quote from: EG on May 01, 2008, 08:27:21 AM
Owings isn't really a typical pitcher.  Cooper's probably too dumb to know this though.

He is black.  Is that what you're saying, EG?
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #978 on: May 01, 2008, 08:36:55 AM »
Suppan and Turnbow combined to give up 17 runs last night.  In 4 1/3 innings.  Just awesome.

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #979 on: May 01, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on May 01, 2008, 08:33:47 AM
Quote from: Slaky+ on May 01, 2008, 08:16:18 AM
Too bad Micah Owings batting stats don't count in our fantasy league. His 6th inning pinch-hit home run helped to defeat the Astros last night.

Astros manager Cecil Cooper called it "by far, by far" the worst loss of the season.

Yes, Cecil, it will happen again.

Why do you say that?  Cecil made a promise that his team will never lose a lead after the sixth inning ever again.  He made it clear that losing such a lead would not be acceptable.  I think "unacceptable" is the word that he used.  Personally, I find it refreshing that a manager would make such a guarantee.  If only Lou would come to his good senses and give us cubs fans the peace of mind the Astros fans have. 

He is black.  Is that what you're saying, EG?

Nobody with glasses that big can be dumb.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #980 on: May 01, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »
This thread is named after the guy. It's only fitting that he's the reason we're all here today.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #981 on: May 01, 2008, 08:44:12 AM »

turdThrow needs to be on the cover of this year's Cub yearbook as well.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Taylor2

• Taylor2. Now with more sarcastic venom.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #982 on: May 01, 2008, 09:03:21 AM »
QuoteSheets said his arm "didn't feel good" against the Cubs but indicated there was no pain, which he said was a big difference.

"I just didn't feel comfortable out there," he said. "We'll see what happens next. I'll try to get back in the swing."

Sheets said his major goal was to rediscover the effective arm slot he had before the triceps soreness occurred.

"Hopefully, I can get it back," he said. "I don't think I was that far off. I had pretty good break (on the curveball). Things just didn't feel real good for me out there. I think I'll find it again."

QuoteWhat's more, a team built primarily on offense experienced nothing more than a three-game losing streak when it did not hit so well in April.

"Our pitching is good enough, our defense is good enough and our bullpen is good enough to keep that from happening," Yost said. "I'm very pleased with where we're at."

Ned, just stay content for the rest of the year.
01/20/2013

Slaky+

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #983 on: May 01, 2008, 09:47:14 AM »

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #984 on: May 01, 2008, 10:01:59 AM »
Quote from: Slaky+ on May 01, 2008, 09:47:14 AM
An nice random present for Dave B:

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=537497

Here's my present for the Cardinals fans, from Baseball Prospectus:

QuoteJust a hair behind the Cubs in what was expected to be a rebuilding year, the Cardinals are doing it by throwing strikes. No NL pitching staff has walked fewer men than their 74, leading to the third-fewest runs allowed and second-best ERA in the league. Without overpowering stuff—165 strikeouts, a mere 11th in the league—Cards pitchers have been pounding the strike zone and taking their chances.

They're winning this game of chance thanks to a strangely low home-run rate: just 19 allowed, third in the NL, in 243 1/3 innings. That number almost has to go up when you look at the pitchers on the staff.

There's a reason beyond the pitching staff for these figures. Clay Davenport noted last week that the Cards have played the weakest schedule in baseball. It's weak largely because it's been populated by teams that can't hit. The Cards have played seven games against the Giants (.365 SLG, 14th in NL; 14 HR, last); six against the Astros (.410 SLG, seventh in NL); five against the Brewers (.385, 11th; almost all innings pitched by RHPs) and nine others against the Nationals, Rockies, Pirates, and Reds. The Cardinals have played 75 percent of their schedule against teams with below-average slugging percentages. When that changes, they'll allow more home runs, more runs, and slip away from the top of the NL Central.

Slaky+

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #985 on: May 01, 2008, 10:03:44 AM »
Quote from: EG on May 01, 2008, 10:01:59 AM

Here's my present for the Cardinals fans, from Baseball Prospectus:

QuoteJust a hair behind the Cubs in what was expected to be a rebuilding year, the Cardinals are doing it by throwing strikes. No NL pitching staff has walked fewer men than their 74, leading to the third-fewest runs allowed and second-best ERA in the league. Without overpowering stuff—165 strikeouts, a mere 11th in the league—Cards pitchers have been pounding the strike zone and taking their chances.

They're winning this game of chance thanks to a strangely low home-run rate: just 19 allowed, third in the NL, in 243 1/3 innings. That number almost has to go up when you look at the pitchers on the staff.

There's a reason beyond the pitching staff for these figures. Clay Davenport noted last week that the Cards have played the weakest schedule in baseball. It's weak largely because it's been populated by teams that can't hit. The Cards have played seven games against the Giants (.365 SLG, 14th in NL; 14 HR, last); six against the Astros (.410 SLG, seventh in NL); five against the Brewers (.385, 11th; almost all innings pitched by RHPs) and nine others against the Nationals, Rockies, Pirates, and Reds. The Cardinals have played 75 percent of their schedule against teams with below-average slugging percentages. When that changes, they'll allow more home runs, more runs, and slip away from the top of the NL Central.

But the Cubs are the Cubs. 1908! Losers! 100 years! Those overshadow thoughtful analysis any day.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #986 on: May 01, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »

I only skimmed the first several posts and came to the conclusion that St. Louis has the most computers-per-retard in the country.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Slaky+

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #987 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:38 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on May 01, 2008, 10:08:07 AM

I only skimmed the first several posts and came to the conclusion that St. Louis has the most computers-per-retard in the country.

It's an entire thread of people re-wording the same statement. It's awesome.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #988 on: May 01, 2008, 10:16:16 AM »

The guy has a 1.044 OPS in 79 career at bats.  If he got Tommy John Disease or something and couldn't pitch anymore, he'd be able to make it as a hitter.

He's Rick Ankiel without the HGH.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #989 on: May 01, 2008, 10:36:40 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on May 01, 2008, 10:08:07 AM

I think they get web access through the Pantenna.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.