News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 550,297 )

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #1530 on: August 21, 2008, 10:52:37 AM »
That is so brilliant.

Taylor2

• Taylor2. Now with more sarcastic venom.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1531 on: August 24, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »
More wisdom from Mr. Baker

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/24/ddn082408spredsweb.html

QuoteDENVER — Dusty Baker calls it, "The Cy," and everybody around baseball knows that can only be the Cy Young Award. And the Cincinnati Reds manager entertains long-shot hopes that Edinson Volquez is in the running for the National League Cy Young.

Quote"Bako has been doing a good job with the kids, and especially the way those kids have been throwing to him," Baker said. "And Cueto has been throwing outstanding, too, with Bako, so Bako will get tonight and tomorrow (with Cueto), and we'll give the kid (rookie Ryan Hanigan) a couple in Houston."

QuoteBaker was asked if he liked what he has seen from Hanigan and he said, "Oh, yeah. He gives a good target, he is in the ballgame, he calls a real good game. And he studies, you know?"

Last week, Baker affectionately called him, "A down-and-dude."

Asked if Bako's work with Volquez and Cueto made him a candidate to return next year, Baker said, "Yeah, I think so.

"Whoever our catcher is, especially if it is Hanigan, Bako would be like (Chicago's) Henry Blanco. He's made all the difference in the world helping (rookie) Geovany Soto. That's down the line, so we'll get that when we get there," Baker said.

Gabor is like Hank?

A down-and-dude?

And from Baseball Prospectus. Poor Dusty nothing has gone according to plan.
Quote"It's been a little difficult, to say the least," Baker said. "I've always been used to having stability as a manager, both in San Francisco and Chicago. Obviously, there hasn't been a whole lot of that this season. This team looks nothing like what we thought we had coming out of spring training, and many things have changed. I don't see too many teams who have taken the hits we've taken this year."
01/20/2013

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #1532 on: August 24, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
What the hell is a down-and-dude?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1533 on: August 24, 2008, 10:20:18 PM »
Quote from: Taylor2 on August 24, 2008, 08:27:57 PM
Quote"It's been a little difficult, to say the least," Baker said. "I've always been used to having stability as a manager, both in San Francisco and Chicago. Obviously, there hasn't been a whole lot of that this season. This team looks nothing like what we thought we had coming out of spring training, and many things have changed. I don't see too many teams who have taken the hits we've taken this year."

Some things never change.  What a whiny bitch.

Jim Edmonds

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #1534 on: August 24, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »
Quote from: Mike D on August 21, 2008, 10:48:55 AM
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on August 20, 2008, 01:00:51 PM
Where's the old thread with all the "Dustyisms" in it? I couldn't find it with search.

Another chapter in Chuck Dicken's tireless contributions to baseball analysis.

Edit:  I realize that this was not exactly the droids that PPE was looking for, but I think it's still very apt, considering what Ned is doing.

HAHA RIGHT CLIK SAVE AS MOFO
I tried so hard,And got so far, But in the end It doesn't even matter.

Wampa

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #1535 on: August 25, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 24, 2008, 10:20:18 PM

What the fuck is he even talking about?  The only player that missed time and can be considered good (not so much this year...) is Harang.  And I'm sure pitching him in that extra inning game on one days rest might of had something to do with his injury or poor performance.

Look at this list of guys that had DL stints for the reds this year R. Freel, N. Hopper, D. Weathers, J. Burton, A. Gonzalez, K. Merker, J. Keppinger, J. HAIRSTON JR., D. Ross, J. Cabrera, And J. Fogg.  Boy those are some tough "hits" to get over.

Thank god Dusty's not our problem anymore.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1536 on: August 25, 2008, 05:52:13 AM »
Quote from: Wampa on August 25, 2008, 12:09:47 AM

What the fuck is he even talking about?  The only player that missed time and can be considered good (not so much this year...) is Harang.  And I'm sure pitching him in that extra inning game on one days rest might of had something to do with his injury or poor performance.

Look at this list of guys that had DL stints for the reds this year R. Freel, N. Hopper, D. Weathers, J. Burton, A. Gonzalez, K. Merker, J. Keppinger, J. HAIRSTON JR., D. Ross, J. Cabrera, And J. Fogg.  Boy those are some tough "hits" to get over.

Do you expect to tell him the truth?

"Look, this hasbeen a tough year, but we really don't have much in the way of pitching, our 'veterans' have turned the corner into being 'old', and the team hired a moron to manage. That adds up to a last-place finish, Ogdens."
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Taylor2

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1537 on: August 25, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »
Quote from: Fork on August 25, 2008, 05:52:13 AM
Quote from: Wampa on August 25, 2008, 12:09:47 AM

Do you expect to tell him the truth?

"Look, this hasbeen a tough year, but we really don't have much in the way of pitching, our 'veterans' have turned the corner into being 'old', and the team hired a moron to manage. That adds up to a last-place finish, Ogdens."

It's not Dusty's fault. It never is. He can't win with all of the hits they've taken even if he has a down-and-dude on the team.
01/20/2013

Taylor2

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1538 on: August 25, 2008, 08:43:14 AM »
DPD.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080824&content_id=3361542&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

QuoteDENVER -- The Reds will spend Monday's scheduled off-day hoping that rookie starting pitcher Johnny Cueto is not seriously injured.
Cueto exited his start vs. the Rockies on Sunday after just three innings because of a sore right triceps tendon. The 22-year-old right-hander returned to Cincinnati aboard the private jet of Reds owner Bob Castellini, who was at the game.

"We just took him out for precautionary reasons," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "He'll go back to see Dr. [Tim] Kremchek. Hopefully, it's nothing."

QuoteCueto has no prior history of arm trouble during a professional career that began in 2004. Nothing indicated before he came out that he had an arm injury. His fastball reached as high as 95 mph on the Coors Field radar screen.

"He warmed up good. You saw his velocity was good," Baker said. "Everything was good. Then he had that high-pitch inning. He went back out and things tightened up on him."

If Cincinnati dumps Dusty I hope he manages mismanages the Cardinals next.
01/20/2013

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1539 on: August 26, 2008, 07:56:44 AM »
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch had an article this morning previewing the two-game set between the Brewers and Cardinals:

"Whether it was Ryan Braun's strut after his game-winning home run in the series finale or the Brewers' celebratory untucking of their jerseys after each win, that series added heat to a percolating rivalry.

"We're not fans of those guys," one Cardinal said."

Check out this post in the comments section:

dave cobler  August 26, 2008 6:34AM CST
The untucking of their shirts after a win does not do well to give the brewers a polished professional appearance, but it does send out a drum roll to the "beat" that vibrates "attitude". That "drum beat" is a war cry message to the Cards and Cubs that says "I want a piece of the action" and to get it we're going to do it by "beating" you. When they win a game, the shirt is untucked sending another drum roll that says we beat you today and you better be ready for battle tomorrow. For the opponent it may appear to be a bit rude, but it is a message and gives the Brewers an identity that puts me in mind of a "gas house gang".
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1540 on: August 26, 2008, 08:26:45 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on August 26, 2008, 07:56:44 AM
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch had an article this morning previewing the two-game set between the Brewers and Cardinals:

"Whether it was Ryan Braun's strut after his game-winning home run in the series finale or the Brewers' celebratory untucking of their jerseys after each win, that series added heat to a percolating rivalry.

The untucking of their shirts after a win does not do well to give the brewers a polished professional appearance, but it does send out a drum roll to the "beat" that vibrates "attitude". That "drum beat" is a war cry message to the Cards and Cubs that says "I want a piece of the action" and to get it we're going to do it by "beating" you. When they win a game, the shirt is untucked sending another drum roll that says we beat you today and you better be ready for battle tomorrow. For the opponent it may appear to be a bit rude, but it is a message and gives the Brewers an identity that puts me in mind of a "gas house gang".

They're pretty bad-assed for a second place team that got pwned by the Cubs in their own building.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1541 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:02 AM »
Quote from: Fork on August 26, 2008, 08:26:45 AM

They're pretty bad-assed for a second place team that got pwned by the Cubs in their own building has the fourth-best record in the Major Leagues.

They still scare me'd.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1542 on: August 26, 2008, 08:54:24 AM »

Funny. I didn't notice them doing that the last time the Cubs were up there.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1543 on: August 26, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »
Me either. Looked like a neat and tidy bunch of whiners who just had their asses handed to them. Gashouse Gang? Pshaw.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1544 on: August 26, 2008, 09:11:36 AM »
I'd think that the numbers on the score board probably do a better job of telling the other team that they were just beaten.  Untucking the shirts just comes off as minor league crap.