News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 550,273 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #2130 on: January 06, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »
Fork is Buster Olney now?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2131 on: January 06, 2010, 05:53:12 PM »
Quote from: Pre on January 06, 2010, 01:30:31 PM
Quote from: BichetteHappens on January 06, 2010, 11:56:48 AM
According to sources (i.e. shit I've read on the internet which probably means its unsubstantiated) Pooholes wants to stay in St. Louis his entire career and has told the Cards to worry about signing players at this point.

Albie will only stay if the Cards threaten to release details on his steroid regime, birth date, and real name.

Look, I hate the sonofabitch too but even I just think he's using and not dealing.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2132 on: January 06, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »

My point was, there is no way the Yankees would sign Holliday to that much money. They'll still get expensive guys, but those luxury suites are sitting there empty now - they're going to get a bit more prudent with their money.

The Cards will regret that contract far longer than they'll enjoy it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2133 on: January 07, 2010, 08:47:51 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 06, 2010, 10:06:03 PM

My point was, there is no way the Yankees would sign Holliday to that much money. They'll still get expensive guys, but those luxury suites are sitting there empty now - they're going to get a bit more prudent with their money.

But isn't the YES network what sets the Yankees apart from everyone else, revenue-wise? I've been unable to find firm revenue numbers on the google machine, but just as a rough starting point I've found $250 million for the stadium and $350 million for the network.

I'm not saying empty luxury suites couldn't have some effect on the payroll, but as long as they've got the TV revenue and Steinbrenner wants to plow money back into the team, the payroll won't go down much.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2134 on: January 07, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »
Quote from: R-V on January 07, 2010, 08:47:51 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 06, 2010, 10:06:03 PM

But isn't the YES network what sets the Yankees apart from everyone else, revenue-wise? I've been unable to find firm revenue numbers on the google machine, but just as a rough starting point I've found $250 million for the stadium and $350 million for the network.

I'm not saying empty luxury suites couldn't have some effect on the payroll, but as long as they've got the TV revenue and Steinbrenner wants to plow money back into the team, the payroll won't go down much.

A lot of teams have a shitload of money coming in from private TV. It's extremely advantageous for a baseball team to have one.

The Yankees were getting some retarded amount like $500MM/year from the MSG Network to broadcast games - even with their bloated payroll, they could have made money playing in Central Park. Unfortunately, that money is revenue for the team, so it winds up being calculated for revenue sharing.

So Steinbernner starts his own network, the YES network. YES pays the Yankees significantly less for broadcast rights. Even though they're both owned by Steinbrenner, they're seperate corporations, so the revenue generated by the YES network is irrelevant to MLB revenue sharing calculations. (The Tribune did the same thing with WGN/Cubs - which is why the Rickettses will eventually start a Cubs network)

But I believe (I've been looking for the right information this morning) the YES network revenue has to remain separate from the Yankees' revenue. Not that it particularly matters, since the Yankees can operate in the red. Both YES revenues and Yankees revenues go to Steinbrenner, but I believe they have to stay separate.

That being said, I'm fairly certain the accounting it would take to channel money from one entity to the other, if necessary, is accounting child's play - maybe one of the accountants can answer that better.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2135 on: January 07, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »
I actually miss the day when Fork just typed bad one liners.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2136 on: January 07, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »
It looks like the Cardinals are about to fill the "slow, shrunken, white" pinch-hitter hole:

QuoteBut he's as excited about another upcoming extravaganza: Mark McGwire's return to baseball, as the St. Louis Cardinals hitting coach and — get this stunning scenario — as a possible pinch-hitting slugger for a postseason run.

"If we're in contention, we'll put him on the roster Aug. 31. It's a nice little dream," said La Russa, who's managed the perennially contending Cardinals since leaving the A's after the 1995 season.

"Is it likely? Probably not. I don't think it's a zero possibility. The point is, you'll see him in spring training. He won't be leaning on the batting cage chatting it up. He'll work his (butt) off, and hitters will be thrilled he's there helping them."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2137 on: January 07, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »
Quote from: BH on January 07, 2010, 09:09:58 AM

Reading paragraphs burns more calories, big guy.
TIME TO POST!

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2138 on: January 07, 2010, 11:23:26 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 07, 2010, 11:20:21 AM

Look what you did, BH.  Look what you did.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2139 on: January 07, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on January 07, 2010, 11:23:26 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 07, 2010, 11:20:21 AM

Look what you did, BH.  Look what you did.

Easy forehead...I was just doing the fat bastard a favor.
TIME TO POST!

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2140 on: January 07, 2010, 11:42:45 AM »
Holy shit, The Genius is a deluded loon.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2141 on: January 07, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »
Quote from: Andy on January 07, 2010, 11:42:45 AM
Holy shit, The Genius is a deluded loon.

Screw that, it's an effort to push back McGuire's HoF window to have a better chance once the the
steroid rage blows over.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2142 on: January 07, 2010, 12:29:23 PM »
This thread needs to die. Every time I click on the "new" posts icon, it goes back a few posts. Then I have to re-read them. Does this happen to anyone else? It's wasting valuable time.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2143 on: January 07, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
Quote from: Tony on January 07, 2010, 12:29:23 PM
This thread needs to die. Every time I click on the "new" posts icon, it goes back a few posts. Then I have to re-read them. Does this happen to anyone else? It's wasting valuable time.

It happens to me, too.  Except for your post.  So, thanks for that.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2144 on: January 07, 2010, 12:30:28 PM »
Quote from: Tony on January 07, 2010, 12:29:23 PM

I have heard that this happens (Yeti, I believe and some corroborated), though it does not happen to me.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.