News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 549,589 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #2295 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:23 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on April 07, 2010, 08:09:51 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 07, 2010, 07:24:21 AM
Am I being fair in my knee jerk reaction that the MLBPA is just whining?

Unless you've had a look at the contracts being offered, probably not.

But I am lolling (not actually lol, just internet lol) at the people in those comments chastising the MLBPA for being greedy when it's the MLB owners/execs on the other side of the coin.

What are you talking about?  It's the fans on the other side of that coin.  WE PAY THEIR SALARIES!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2296 on: April 07, 2010, 08:39:03 AM »
Quote from: CT III on April 07, 2010, 08:22:23 AM

But I am lolling (not actually lol, just internet lol) at the people in those comments chastising the MLBPA for being greedy when it's the MLB owners/execs on the other side of the coin.

What are you talking about?  It's the fans on the other side of that coin.  WE PAY THEIR SALARIES!

But the fans are a bunch of self-entitled ninnies.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2297 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:10 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on April 07, 2010, 08:39:03 AM
Quote from: CT III on April 07, 2010, 08:22:23 AM

But the fans are a bunch of self-entitled ninnies.

We're allowed to be because WE PAY THEIR SALARIES!

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2298 on: April 07, 2010, 09:19:55 AM »

You know, if the MLB owners and execs are greedy assholes who have no idea how to run a business (and I'm inclined to think they are as well), why doesn't the union just bail at the end of the next contract and just start a players-owned league? Please advise.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2299 on: April 07, 2010, 09:22:33 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 07, 2010, 09:19:55 AM

You know, if the MLB owners and execs are greedy assholes who have no idea how to run a business (and I'm inclined to think they are as well), why doesn't the union just bail at the end of the next contract and just start a players-owned league? Please advise.

A union of millionaires yelling at owners who are billionaires (or hundred millionaires) just seems petty and dumb to me.

To add on, like SKO said, the economical climate now doesn't warrant for teams to throw away money as much. Some can, but not everyone. (Since I recall he was one of the ones making the accusations....) People didn't want Bonds in part due to the bad press ('roids) and he was an old dude who might still hit, and probably would be worthless in the field, and still command $20 million. Not worth it. Not even to the Yankees.

EDIT #2: It appears that my assumption that he would want $20 million could have been wrong, if you believe his agent

QuoteBorris has revealed he eventually shopped Bonds at the major-league minimum salary – $390,000 – and still drew no interest. Bonds, the career home-run leader, earned more than $15 million in his final season.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2300 on: April 07, 2010, 09:24:15 AM »

Bitching about something rather than actually improving it is the American way.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2301 on: April 07, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »

The players probably lack the necessary local political connections to get taxpayer funded stadiums approved.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2302 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »
I didn't know where to put this so here probably works as well as anyone where else. I'd really like to get you pro-union guys' take on this. Personally, I think considering the fact that it was the middle of the greatest recession since before WWII and everything, the market just dictated that, for most players, the rapidly increasing player salaries that led to players like Jason Marquis and Carlos Silva ending up with huge deals in previous offseasons just couldn't continue to go on that way. I also think that with the world-breaking deals handed to Teixeira and Sabathia and the big contracts that Hendry gave out before the last season, obviously there wasn't some wide-ranging conspiracy to keep player contracts down. Am I being fair in my knee jerk reaction that the MLBPA is just whining?

If there's even a single text message from one owner to another about "Let's keep the bidding down," the MLBPA should sue the shit outta the owners.

That said, I'd think they are whining.

Turning around again, historically, the MLBPA has been excellent and the owners have been morons.  The owners have colluded before.  If today's MLBPA is like the old MLBPA in terms of their intelligence (which, post Don Fehr, I'm not so sure), there could actually be something here.

Let's see how this plays out.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2303 on: April 07, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »
Quote from: CT III on April 07, 2010, 09:37:52 AM

The players probably lack the necessary local political connections to get taxpayer funded stadiums approved.

You think state legislators wouldn't be wowed by a bunch of players coming down to Springfield, bringing some hookers down with them, pouring some drinks for them, telling them stories from the clubhouse?

Or do you think Bud Selig and Jerry Reinsdorf have more appeal?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2304 on: April 07, 2010, 10:56:26 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 07, 2010, 10:50:34 AM

You think state legislators wouldn't be wowed by a bunch of players coming down to Springfield, bringing some hookers down with them, pouring some drinks for them, telling them stories from the clubhouse?

In Marx's day religion was the opiate of the masses. Today it's politics. And hookers.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2305 on: April 07, 2010, 11:00:18 AM »

I think that at the end of the day, Jerry's got roots in Chicago and might actually make a difference in getting a guy elected locally.  The players are nomads, and they don't like to pay for shit.  Other than Curt Schilling, who's going to send in the political donations to grease the wheels?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2306 on: April 07, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »
Quote from: CT III on April 07, 2010, 11:00:18 AM

I think that at the end of the day, Jerry's got roots in Chicago and might actually make a difference in getting a guy elected locally.  The players are nomads, and they don't like to pay for shit.  Other than Curt Schilling, who's going to send in the political donations to grease the wheels?

Ted Lilly will make them an offer they can't refuse.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2307 on: April 07, 2010, 01:45:37 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on April 05, 2010, 10:23:36 AM
http://www.salon.com/life/baseball/index.html?story=/books/feature/2010/03/29/top_of_the_order_neifi_perez

A tribute to Neifi-- the guy to graduate last from medical school...

That argument angers up my angry so much.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2308 on: April 07, 2010, 02:07:21 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on April 07, 2010, 01:45:37 PM
http://www.salon.com/life/baseball/index.html?story=/books/feature/2010/03/29/top_of_the_order_neifi_perez

I don't know about you but I'll take nine Neifis on my softball team any day.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2309 on: April 07, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on April 07, 2010, 02:07:21 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on April 07, 2010, 01:45:37 PM

I don't know about you but I'll take nine Neifis on my softball team any day.

Definitely.  But the fact that he could beat my ass at softball doesn't mean I can't call him a worthless pudfuck on the baseball field.