News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 550,848 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #2745 on: June 29, 2016, 02:21:48 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 29, 2016, 02:20:03 PM
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on June 29, 2016, 01:26:56 PM
Eric Show. And Andre didn't even need a bat.

/discussion

I actually know nothing of this Dawson/Show thing except hushed, reverent whispers from your generation. Can Huey give me a full PANK story about it
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2746 on: June 29, 2016, 02:53:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 29, 2016, 02:21:48 PM
Quote from: Slaky on June 29, 2016, 02:20:03 PM
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on June 29, 2016, 01:26:56 PM
Eric Show. And Andre didn't even need a bat.

/discussion

I actually know nothing of this Dawson/Show thing except hushed, reverent whispers from your generation. Can Huey give me a full PANK story about it

July 7th, 1987.  The Cubs (44-38, in 3rd place in the ole' NL East) hosted the Larry Bowa-led Padres (29-55, last in the NL West).  Dawson--after a slightly slow start to his first year as  Cub--had been on a tear and came into the game with 23 home runs.  He hit his 24th in the 1st inning off Show--Dave Martinez also took Show deep in the 1st.

In Dawson's next at-bat, with 1 out in the bottom of the 3rd, Show drilled him in the face.  What followed was a truly bizarre scene as Dawson, bleeding from his face profusely, got up from the ground and began chasing Show around the field.  That's the extent of it but think about how crazy that must've appeared.  Weaselly Eric Show suddenly thrust into a start when Injured, Bleeding Cyborg Dawson rose from the ground seeking him out.  Not that I saw it happening at the time--I was watching "Spaceballs" at Woodfield Mall--the same place from where I was watching "Ghostbusters" when Ryne Sandberg took Bruce Sutter deep twice on June 23rd, 1984.  I'm pretty sure Rick Moranis did not want me to see the Cubs.

Also, if you have a few minutes, this long-form piece on Eric Show is a great read.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Grandmaster Wang

• Hi. I'm Herschel Walker.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2747 on: June 29, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »
Not only that, if memory serves, Bloody Cyborg Andre chased Show into his own dugout, and I'm pretty sure Show retreated all the way down the tunnel to the clubhouse. I mean, fog of war and all, I might be embellishing that a bit for all I know, and I can't find anything on Youtube. But the way I remember it, Andre went Full Hulk, Show knew it immediately, and to this day I don't know if I've ever seen a display of abject fear like Show in that moment. And I don't blame him. Andre might very well have legit murdered him.
Some dude in Cairo just punched a camel in the face on CNN.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2748 on: June 29, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
I saw it .
If Dawson had caught him he would have broken Show in fucking half.
Dawson at that time was about as T-800 model built scary as you could possibly imagine.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2749 on: June 29, 2016, 03:18:17 PM »
Dawson sounds very awesome.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2750 on: June 29, 2016, 03:19:57 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 29, 2016, 03:18:17 PM

The only Cubs jersey I own.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2751 on: June 29, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »
Quote from: flannj on June 29, 2016, 03:19:57 PM

The only Cubs jersey I own.

I have a baseball signed by him, but I have basically no memory of him as a Cub, and I really only remember post-retirement crappy Sandberg, sadly.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2752 on: June 29, 2016, 03:24:50 PM »
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on June 29, 2016, 03:05:08 PM
Not only that, if memory serves, Bloody Cyborg Andre chased Show into his own dugout, and I'm pretty sure Show retreated all the way down the tunnel to the clubhouse. I mean, fog of war and all, I might be embellishing that a bit for all I know, and I can't find anything on Youtube. But the way I remember it, Andre went Full Hulk, Show knew it immediately, and to this day I don't know if I've ever seen a display of abject fear like Show in that moment. And I don't blame him. Andre might very well have legit murdered him.

Go to 12:30.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2753 on: June 29, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »

Favorite Cub ever.

My dad was at the game. The way he told the story to me (I was six) was that the ball took part of Dawson's mustache off and he laid in a heap. Suddenly he just got up like pure, uncut hellfire had possessed his body and decided to destroy Eric Show.

I almost never want to see the clip because I want to keep it in my mind the way it is.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2754 on: June 29, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 29, 2016, 03:35:25 PM

Favorite Cub ever.

My dad was at the game. The way he told the story to me (I was six) was that the ball took part of Dawson's mustache off and he laid in a heap. Suddenly he just got up like pure, uncut hellfire had possessed his body and decided to destroy Eric Show.

I almost never want to see the clip because I want to keep it in my mind the way it is.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.  Dawson slowly rising up and suddenly dashing toward Show still made the hair on my arms stand up, 29 years later.

Grandmaster Wang

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2755 on: June 29, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »

The awesomest.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2756 on: June 29, 2016, 03:42:40 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 29, 2016, 03:24:50 PM

Nice job thanks Huey.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2757 on: June 29, 2016, 03:47:36 PM »

Conveniently cued up

Grandmaster Wang

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2758 on: June 29, 2016, 04:00:49 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 29, 2016, 03:47:36 PM

Conveniently cued up

That fuckin' stance. That fuckin' swing. No Tru Link Fence could contain him.

BigDrinky

• Idiot Savant
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #2759 on: June 29, 2016, 04:07:53 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 29, 2016, 03:47:36 PM

Conveniently cued up

Agreed... the umpire that shooed Show into the dugout might have saved his life.