News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Josh Vitters is, um, like, awesome  ( 32,207 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Josh Vitters is, um, like, awesome
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2009, 02:32:52 PM »
Quote from: Fork on June 01, 2009, 02:29:33 PM
Quote from: Eli on June 01, 2009, 02:26:10 PM
Quote from: Fork on June 01, 2009, 02:10:32 PM
29 K in 177 ABs? Not bad at all.

Anyone follow the Cubs' farm closely enough to know if there are any plans to move him up to AA or Iowa at the halfway mark?

Peoria is still low-A ball, so the next step would be high-A Daytona for him.  I imagine that's as far as he'll get this season.  Since he's only 19, there's really no reason to rush it.

I'd say if you're sending him to high-A, let him see what the world looks like from the other corner of the infield.

Perfect, another big hitting, no-fielding 1B.
That's working out so well right now.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 01, 2009, 02:32:52 PM

Anyone follow the Cubs' farm closely enough to know if there are any plans to move him up to AA or Iowa at the halfway mark?

Peoria is still low-A ball, so the next step would be high-A Daytona for him.  I imagine that's as far as he'll get this season.  Since he's only 19, there's really no reason to rush it.

I'd say if you're sending him to high-A, let him see what the world looks like from the other corner of the infield.

If he moves anywhere, it'd probably be to left field, like Ryan Braun.  Only less douchey.

Edit: I've heard his defense is improving though, so he should be able to stick at 3B.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 01, 2009, 02:41:53 PM

Peoria is still low-A ball, so the next step would be high-A Daytona for him.  I imagine that's as far as he'll get this season.  Since he's only 19, there's really no reason to rush it.

If he moves anywhere, it'd probably be to left field, like Ryan Braun.  Only less douchey Jewy.

Edited to apply Casual Racism.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2009, 03:07:22 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 01, 2009, 02:41:53 PM

If he moves anywhere, it'd probably be to left field, like Ryan Braun.  Only less douchey.

Edit: I've heard his defense is improving though, so he should be able to stick at 3B.

As you said, the Cubs can afford to let him develop...good 3Bs are a lot more rare then good 1Bs are.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »

Peoria is still low-A ball, so the next step would be high-A Daytona for him.  I imagine that's as far as he'll get this season.  Since he's only 19, there's really no reason to rush it.  If he does well, he could start next season in AA and probably see a full season there.

I wouldn't put much stock into his defense as a 19 year old.

Also, if I remember correctly, high-A ball is generally for those who are almost-prospects or 21 year olds out of college.  If he shows he has nothing left to prove in Peoria, move him to Tennessee and see what happens.  There's no reason he shouldn't get a September call-up next year (starting the year at AA), with 2011 as a sticking year.  If the kid can hit, let him hit.

Pitchers in high-A can't throw a breaking ball and their fastballs are straight.  He doesn't need that shit.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2009, 03:39:58 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 01, 2009, 03:11:54 PM

Peoria is still low-A ball, so the next step would be high-A Daytona for him.  I imagine that's as far as he'll get this season.  Since he's only 19, there's really no reason to rush it.  If he does well, he could start next season in AA and probably see a full season there.

Also, if I remember correctly, high-A ball is generally for those who are almost-prospects or 21 year olds out of college.  If he shows he has nothing left to prove in Peoria, move him to Tennessee and see what happens.  There's no reason he shouldn't get a September call-up next year (starting the year at AA), with 2011 as a sticking year.  If the kid can hit, let him hit.

Pitcher is high-A can't throw a breaking ball and their fastballs are straight.  He doesn't need that shit.

Possibly.  I've heard somewhere that the model for Vitters' development might be like David Wright's.  He spent his age-19 season in low-A ball, then his next full season at high-A ball, then he split his age-21 season between AA, AAA and the bigs.  I'm not sure Vitters is quite that kind of talent, but he hasn't given an indication so far he isn't. 

I agree that he should stick in 2011, if all goes well.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2009, 03:43:07 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 01, 2009, 03:39:58 PM

Peoria is still low-A ball, so the next step would be high-A Daytona for him.  I imagine that's as far as he'll get this season.  Since he's only 19, there's really no reason to rush it.  If he does well, he could start next season in AA and probably see a full season there.

Also, if I remember correctly, high-A ball is generally for those who are almost-prospects or 21 year olds out of college.  If he shows he has nothing left to prove in Peoria, move him to Tennessee and see what happens.  There's no reason he shouldn't get a September call-up next year (starting the year at AA), with 2011 as a sticking year.  If the kid can hit, let him hit.

Pitcher is high-A can't throw a breaking ball and their fastballs are straight.  He doesn't need that shit.

Possibly.  I've heard somewhere that the model for Vitters' development might be like David Wright's.  He spent his age-19 season in low-A ball, then his next full season at high-A ball, then he split his age-21 season between AA, AAA and the bigs.  I'm not sure Vitters is quite that kind of talent, but he hasn't given an indication so far he isn't. 

The FSL is about as strong of a pitcher's league as you can find.  These guys have great stuff and it's a real challenge for hitters to put up halfway decent numbers (12 guys hitting over .300).  (Both due to the talent, and the size of these ML-caliber spring training parks.)  I'm thinking Vitters will get a midseason promotion to Daytona Beach at the All-Star Break since that's how most teams treat their affiliates here.  If he gets promoted to Daytona I'll let you know how he looks in person.  After I see him 100 times, that is.

Please don't ask me where I work.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »
Quote from: PiniellaTailOnTheDonkey on June 01, 2009, 03:43:07 PM
Please don't ask me where I work.

NASCAR?  USTA Florida?  Suntrust Bank?  Halifax Health?  The LPGA?  Publix?

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2009, 04:07:05 PM »
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 01, 2009, 03:39:58 PM

Peoria is still low-A ball, so the next step would be high-A Daytona for him.  I imagine that's as far as he'll get this season.  Since he's only 19, there's really no reason to rush it.  If he does well, he could start next season in AA and probably see a full season there.

And how did THAT work out for the Mets, smart guy?
Hire Jim Essian!

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2009, 05:22:20 PM »
His defense at third is allegedy good, and Baseball Prospectus projects that in two years E-ramis goes to the other side of the infield, not Josh.

The BCB guys are freaking out that he's not taking walks (only five walks, but also only 29 K's in 177 at bats), his on base average is .392, so there's no reason to freak out about that yet. 

The Cubs had planned to have him spend most of the year in the MW league, then go to the Florida State league at the end of the year, start there next year and see how he did and see if he could get to AA before the end of next season.  But he's kind of forcing their hand to move him to Daytona sooner than that.

Realistically, there's no reason to fast track him because 3B is not a long-term need.  I always liked the way the Brewers handled their young position players.  The young ones (like Prince) spent more time in the MW league than in high-A and some of their college boys skipped the MW league altogether.

The whole goal would be to have him get to AA at some point next season, because then all of a sudden a call up at the end of the 2010 big league season is a realistic possibility.

Plus, he's only 19.  Pujols went from the MW league to the Carolina League to AA in one season then opened the next year in St. Louis (and even he didn't put up the kind of numbers in the MW league that Vitters is) but he was 30 years old when he did it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2009, 10:15:28 PM »
I sweep the stadium and clean the bathrooms.  Just wanted to sound important.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2009, 10:33:30 PM »
Quote from: PiniellaTailOnTheDonkey on June 01, 2009, 10:15:28 PM
I sweep the stadium and clean the bathrooms.  Just wanted to sound important.

That's very important. I hate messy stadiums and bathrooms.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »
If I new somebody was going to sweep up after me, I wouldn't even bother to get up and go to the bathroom.