News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bulls are insignificant right now.  ( 310,723 )

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Bulls are insignificant right now.
« Reply #675 on: February 18, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 18, 2010, 11:26:50 AM
QuoteThe Charlotte Bobcats are close to acquiring Chicago Bulls forward Tyrus Thomas for Acie Law, Flip Murray and a future first-round pick, sources said.

The expirings won't really matter in terms of cap space, since they were just going to renounce Tyrus' rights this summer.  But getting a first-round pick out of the deal is pretty impressive for whoever actually runs the Bulls' front office these days.  Two good moves in two days.

Acie Law, Joe Alexander- lots of lottery pick disappointment coming over to the Bulls.  I think Hakim Warrick is a reasonable replacement for what Tyrus Thomas brings.  Guess that means we won't get to see more of James Johnson this season.  That, my friends, is the real winner in all of this.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #676 on: February 18, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on February 18, 2010, 12:05:06 PM
Quote from: Eli on February 18, 2010, 11:26:50 AM
QuoteThe Charlotte Bobcats are close to acquiring Chicago Bulls forward Tyrus Thomas for Acie Law, Flip Murray and a future first-round pick, sources said.

The expirings won't really matter in terms of cap space, since they were just going to renounce Tyrus' rights this summer.  But getting a first-round pick out of the deal is pretty impressive for whoever actually runs the Bulls' front office these days.  Two good moves in two days.

Acie Law, Joe Alexander- lots of lottery pick disappointment coming over to the Bulls.  I think Hakim Warrick is a reasonable replacement for what Tyrus Thomas brings.  Guess that means we won't get to see more of James Johnson this season.  That, my friends, is the real winner in all of this.

JJ can head back to the buffet line.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #677 on: February 18, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »
I'm genuinely curious to see what comes of Tyrus now.  I'm wondering if he goes the Cedric Benson route and becomes a star because he realizes he has to get his shit together, or the Tyson Chandler route, where he shows glimpses in perfect situations for him but ultimately is not missed.  Or maybe the Eddy Curry route and does the second-worst thing an NBA center has ever done to his driver.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #678 on: February 21, 2010, 10:25:36 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on January 27, 2010, 09:11:01 AM
Quote from: Eli on January 27, 2010, 08:47:10 AM
Quote from: R-V on January 27, 2010, 08:35:33 AM
As much as I'd like for it to hai, I just don't see Lebron, Wade or Bosh coming here. Dumb question: would it be possible for the Bulls to get two free agents this offseason? How about Boozer and Joe Johnson

To get two max or near-max guys, I think they'd have to move both Kirk and Deng.  There might be other ways, but that's the quickest way for them to create cap room.

One of my biggest wishes is that they'd find someone to take Luol. I don't see it happening but it'd be huuuuuuuuuuge.

Joe Johnson is my guy. I want to see him wearing a Bulls jersey next year. That's mainly because I have no delusions that they'll end up getting one of the big 3.

So now that the deadline is passed and Hinrich and Deng are still here, should my realistic expecation for this offseason be a Joe Johnson signing and nothing else? Because that would be about as exciting as a dedicated Purdue basketball thread.

Would it be possible to sign Johnson, and pull off a sign and trade for a guy like Bosh or Boozer? I don't even really know how sign & trades work. I just thought I'd bring it up to sound informed.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #679 on: February 21, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
Quote from: R-V on February 21, 2010, 10:25:36 AM
So now that the deadline is passed and Hinrich and Deng are still here, should my realistic expecation for this offseason be a Joe Johnson signing and nothing else? Because that would be about as exciting as a dedicated Purdue basketball thread.

The Bulls -- in theory -- can sign anyone this summer, since they have enough cap room for a max contract.  So you can hope for LeBron, Wade or Bosh, but who knows how realistic it is. 

For what it's worth, teams with room to offer a max contract:

Knicks (can offer two max contracts)
Miami (can re-sign Wade and still offer a max contract to someone else)
Nets
Kings
Clippers
Wizards
Wolves
Bulls

The Cavs and Raptors have room to keep LeBron and Bosh, but it depends if they want to stay.

I don't know why a max-type player would want to sign with the Nets, Kings, Wizards or Wolves, because they are going to suck regardless.  The Knicks still might suck, even with two max guys.  The Clippers could be attractive since they have a few good young guys and are in a major market. 

I think the Bulls have to be one of the more attractive destinations for max guys.  Not quite as much cap room as other teams, but they have a better nucleus than maybe all of the others.  So, feel free to hope for Dwayne Wade or Chris Bosh (or hell, why not LeBron?) until your hopes are crushed.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #680 on: February 21, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 21, 2010, 10:39:22 AM
Quote from: R-V on February 21, 2010, 10:25:36 AM

The Bulls -- in theory -- can sign anyone this summer, since they have enough cap room for a max contract.  So you can hope for LeBron, Wade or Bosh, but who knows how realistic it is. 

For what it's worth, teams with room to offer a max contract:

Knicks (can offer two max contracts)
Miami (can re-sign Wade and still offer a max contract to someone else)
Nets
Kings
Clippers
Wizards
Wolves
Bulls

The Cavs and Raptors have room to keep LeBron and Bosh, but it depends if they want to stay.

I don't know why a max-type player would want to sign with the Nets, Kings, Wizards or Wolves, because they are going to suck regardless.  The Knicks still might suck, even with two max guys.  The Clippers could be attractive since they have a few good young guys and are in a major market. 

I think the Bulls have to be one of the more attractive destinations for max guys.  Not quite as much cap room as other teams, but they have a better nucleus than maybe all of the others.  So, feel free to hope for Dwayne Wade or Chris Bosh (or hell, why not LeBron?) until your hopes are crushed.

Thanks, that's some positive I can get behind. More on the sign & trade stuff (iamsasquatch? Is Yeti moonlighting at yet another blog?):

http://www.blogabull.com/2010/2/19/1317970/why-not-trading-hinrich-before-the

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #681 on: February 26, 2010, 11:59:08 AM »
More free agent statfaggotry. Ginobli and Tyrus better signings than Amare? Uh, whatever you say, nerd.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=945

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #682 on: February 27, 2010, 05:41:08 AM »
Quote from: R-V on February 26, 2010, 11:59:08 AM
More free agent statfaggotry. Ginobli and Tyrus better signings than Amare? Uh, whatever you say, nerd.

Kevin Pelton probably predicts things more accurately than just about any scribe I can mention. Haven't read the piece, yet, but this is someone to trust. Hoops-wise. Not with your girl. Because he'll close that.

Yah mo B there!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #683 on: February 27, 2010, 08:30:43 AM »
Quote from: KD on February 27, 2010, 05:41:08 AM
Quote from: R-V on February 26, 2010, 11:59:08 AM

Kevin Pelton probably predicts things more accurately than just about any scribe I can mention. Haven't read the piece, yet, but this is someone to trust. Hoops-wise. Not with your girl. Because he'll close that.

Doubtful.

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #684 on: February 28, 2010, 03:08:08 AM »
That's kind of the joke, but, yea; thanks for making it more broad than it has to be. That's really what I'm after.

Yah mo B there!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #685 on: February 28, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »
Quote from: KD on February 28, 2010, 03:08:08 AMThat's kind of the joke, but, yea; thanks for making it more broad than it has to be. That's really what I'm after.

That didn't seem very sincere.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #686 on: March 04, 2010, 09:49:26 AM »
The Bulls may be insignificant, but they sure are profitable!

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-bulls-confidential/2010/03/2000-2009-chicago-bulls-a-dynasty-of-profits.html

Profits, 2000-2009
Bulls, $474 million
Lakers, $373 million
Suns, $275 million
Pistons, $263 million
Rockets, $199 million

QuoteJust comparing to NBA teams wouldn't put the Bulls in proper context though.  Over the past decade, the Bulls have made more profits than any NHL team, any MLB team, and every NFL team save the Washington Redskins. ... That's right, the Chicago Bulls are the second most profitable franchise in US sports.

QuoteWith 2010 free agency looming, the Bulls decided to restrict future spending in order to attempt to grab a superstar.   That was the right move, and because of it, the Bulls limited spending.   However, after this summer when the money is tied up and the Bulls have their star that excuse is off the table.

QuoteIt will be time for Reinsdorf to finally prove his old quote of being willing to pay for a winner.   The money to pay is there, let's hope he's willing to give it up.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #687 on: March 04, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 04, 2010, 09:49:26 AM
The Bulls may be insignificant, but they sure are profitable!

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-bulls-confidential/2010/03/2000-2009-chicago-bulls-a-dynasty-of-profits.html

Profits, 2000-2009
Bulls, $474 million
Lakers, $373 million
Suns, $275 million
Pistons, $263 million
Rockets, $199 million

QuoteJust comparing to NBA teams wouldn't put the Bulls in proper context though.  Over the past decade, the Bulls have made more profits than any NHL team, any MLB team, and every NFL team save the Washington Redskins. ... That's right, the Chicago Bulls are the second most profitable franchise in US sports.

QuoteWith 2010 free agency looming, the Bulls decided to restrict future spending in order to attempt to grab a superstar.   That was the right move, and because of it, the Bulls limited spending.   However, after this summer when the money is tied up and the Bulls have their star that excuse is off the table.

QuoteIt will be time for Reinsdorf to finally prove his old quote of being willing to pay for a winner.   The money to pay is there, let's hope he's willing to give it up.

Reinsdorf has always been willing to pay for a winner - if it's on the south side playing baseball.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #688 on: March 04, 2010, 10:51:03 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 04, 2010, 09:49:26 AM

While the Bulls have, without a doubt, been very profitable, trying to use those Forbes numbers is
idiocy.  They are at their best an informed guess and in most cases they have about as much
validity as the numbers from a high school chemistry lab report.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club