News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bulls are insignificant right now.  ( 311,616 )

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Bulls are insignificant right now.
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2009, 02:08:08 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 12, 2009, 01:54:14 PM
Simmons' annual Trade Value Column.
I won't spoil it by listing where he puts Rose, but this was too good not to include.

I caught the Bulls in person recently and it's astonishing that they aren't good or even half-decent. Of all the lousy coaching hirings recently (Terry Porter, P.J. Carlesimo, Michael Curry, Sam Vincent, Reggie Theus, Marc Iavaroni), what's funny is Vinny Del Negro was by far the worst. It's even scarier in person when you're sitting behind the Bulls' bench; I know a reader once compared Vinny's coaching to Shooter's taking over Hickory High that first time, but actually, it's more like watching an old person getting ready to go through a metal detector at an airport. Just complete confusion and panic and a lot of stopping and starting and glancing around. I feel bad even making fun of it. Let's just move on.

This seems to be a recurring thing with Simmons, where he has 'figured out' some great truths about a team after watching them IN PERSON (you know, where you can see body language and cool stuff like that) in his high-falutin' courtside seats.

I'll take Kelly Dwyer's every-day-TV-watchin' opinions over Bill's Jimmy-Kimmel-elbow-rubbin' opinions any day of the week.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
Quote from: RV on February 12, 2009, 02:08:08 PM
This seems to be a recurring thing with Simmons, where he has 'figured out' some great truths about a team after watching them IN PERSON (you know, where you can see body language and cool stuff like that) in his high-falutin' courtside seats.

I'll take Kelly Dwyer's every-day-TV-watchin' opinions over Bill's Jimmy-Kimmel-elbow-rubbin' opinions any day of the week.

He bases his entire description of Rose on that same principle.

QuoteSneaks into the top 10 because of his ceiling (spacious), contract (cheap for four or five years) and extraneous circumstances (bad team, bad coach). As I wrote in December, he's like a $300,000 Bentley parked in front of a $100,000 house for this crappy Chicago franchise. But here's my one concern after finally seeing him in person: He's missing that swagger/leadership/vocal component that every great point guard has. Rose carries himself like a ninth grader playing varsity -- never speaks, keeps to himself, doesn't want to ruffle feathers. (I'd chalk this up to the whole rookie thing, but he carried himself that way at Memphis as well. That's just who he is: soft-spoken, humble and mortified by any attention.) Now, Rondo acted the same way as a rookie and struts around two years later like he owns the place, so there's hope ... although the swagger from Allen, KG and Pierce definitely rubbed off on him. Who will rub off on Rose during a revolving door of young guys, panic trades and bad free-agent signings during these next few years? You got me. I just know that I watched Chris Paul as a rookie and he owned his crappy team. Rose never made me feel that way. And so I am nervous. Just a little.

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »
Can somebody teach Gordon how to dribble a fucking basketball? 

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »
Quote from: air2300 on February 12, 2009, 07:51:19 PM
Can somebody teach Gordon how to dribble a fucking basketball? 

Dude drops 34 points on 21 shots and someone comments on his turnover.  Bulls fans are stupid.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2009, 09:11:37 AM »
So, I'm reading Sam Smith's blog today, and he was addressing the reason why Derrick Rose wasn't in the game at the end.

QuoteBut how could Rose not be in the game when an attack at the basket seemed the best option?

My guess is Del Negro simply forgot. He had been taking Rose out for defense and didn't play him as the Bulls came back in the fourth quarter to get within two with Rose on the bench the first seven minutes. And Del Negro had taken Rose out for the bigger Luol Deng with six seconds left with Marion inbounding that first time when Hinrich stole the ball.

Forgot?!?  Seriously, I haven't watched the Bulls much this year, but even I know Rose is at least their 2nd best offensive player.  And Del Negro FORGOT to put him in the game?  Maybe Smith is off his meds, but that doesn't seem like something you just throw out there on a whim.  Especially when the Bulls are paying your salary.

http://blogs.bulls.com/chicago_bulls_blog/2009/02/bulls-lose-and-you-cannot-believe-this-one.html

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2009, 09:18:36 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 13, 2009, 09:11:37 AM
So, I'm reading Sam Smith's blog today, and he was addressing the reason why Derrick Rose wasn't in the game at the end.

QuoteBut how could Rose not be in the game when an attack at the basket seemed the best option?

My guess is Del Negro simply forgot. He had been taking Rose out for defense and didn't play him as the Bulls came back in the fourth quarter to get within two with Rose on the bench the first seven minutes. And Del Negro had taken Rose out for the bigger Luol Deng with six seconds left with Marion inbounding that first time when Hinrich stole the ball.

Forgot?!?  Seriously, I haven't watched the Bulls much this year, but even I know Rose is at least their 2nd best offensive player.  And Del Negro FORGOT to put him in the game?  Maybe Smith is off his meds, but that doesn't seem like something you just throw out there on a whim.  Especially when the Bulls are paying your salary.

http://blogs.bulls.com/chicago_bulls_blog/2009/02/bulls-lose-and-you-cannot-believe-this-one.html

Vinny said this:

Quote"Kirk was loose, he had been playing really well and we just wanted to go that way. It's one of those things where if you execute the play and you make it, it was the right way. That's part of the decision-making process."

Note that he never said why Rose wasn't on the floor in his explanation, which actually gives some credence to Sam's idea.  Also, even if the play had turned out OK, that doesn't mean it was the right decision to keep Rose off the floor.  What a turd.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 13, 2009, 09:18:36 AM

Vinny said this:

Quote"Kirk was loose, he had been playing really well and we just wanted to go that way. It's one of those things where if you execute the play and you make it, it was the right way. That's part of the decision-making process."

Note that he never said why Rose wasn't on the floor in his explanation, which actually gives some credence to Sam's idea.  Also, even if the play had turned out OK, that doesn't mean it was the right decision to keep Rose off the floor.  What a turd.

Rose has to be out on the floor in that situation. For Vinny to forget about Rose or willingly not put him out there should be mindboggling to me, but since Vinny is a terrible coach I'm not surprised here.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2009, 09:44:46 AM »
PaxItIn
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2009, 09:55:57 AM »
Really, really weird timing.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/1429502,vecsey-paxson-resign-021309.article

QuoteVecsey says assistant general manager Gar Foreman could take over as GM for the remainder of the season, and that Doug Collins could be approached at some point and be offered the GM job and/or the head coaching job.

What does this do for the trade deadline?  And Doug Collins?  Again?

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2009, 09:58:08 AM »

Vinny said this:

How about the fact that Thabo, who played a total of I think 5 or 6 minutes in the game, was brought in for the inbounds play at the end, which he promptly threw to Wade? Vinny no make-a no sense-a!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »
Quote from: RV on February 13, 2009, 09:58:08 AM

Vinny said this:

How about the fact that Thabo, who played a total of I think 5 or 6 minutes in the game, was brought in for the inbounds play at the end, which he promptly threw to Wade? Vinny no make-a no sense-a!

You only a-scum a-compare-a to Krusty!

Yes, yes you see how you scum.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 13, 2009, 09:55:57 AM

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/1429502,vecsey-paxson-resign-021309.article

QuoteVecsey says assistant general manager Gar Foreman could take over as GM for the remainder of the season, and that Doug Collins could be approached at some point and be offered the GM job and/or the head coaching job.

I heard he'll stick around until after the deadline so he can fuck something up before he's done for good.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2009, 10:07:01 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on February 13, 2009, 10:01:00 AM

I heard he'll stick around until after the deadline so he can fuck something up before he's done for good.

Peter Vescey is also reporting this morning that Terry Porter is out as Suns coach and that Steve Kerr is going to coach the team (and still be the GM).  Kerr immediately responded and called the report "blatantly false" so let's just take Vescey with a grain of salt for now.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2009, 10:13:17 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 13, 2009, 10:07:01 AM

The Sun-Times apparently confirmed Vescey's report, so there's more than one person reporting on it. 
Peter Vescey is also reporting this morning that Terry Porter is out as Suns coach and that Steve Kerr is going to coach the team (and still be the GM).  Kerr immediately responded and called the report "blatantly false" so let's just take Vescey with a grain of salt for now.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2009, 10:54:48 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 13, 2009, 10:13:17 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 13, 2009, 10:07:01 AM

The Sun-Times apparently confirmed Vescey's report, so there's more than one person reporting on it. 

The Score is reporting that Reinsdorf said this ain't happening, so who knows what to believe. I believe I fixed your quotes though.