News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kerry Wood Sploogefest Thread  ( 56,803 )

smg

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Kerry Wood Sploogefest Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2008, 07:20:28 PM »
I do not approve.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 13, 2008, 07:16:35 PM
I know we all have a sentimental attachment to Wood, but he probably wants $10-12 million a year.  No closer should get that much cash, especially not one with Wood's injury history.  I don't blame Hendry here.

You can't blame Hendry. I'd love to see Wood back, and it sucks that he has to go, but it's the smart choice.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
Also, it's a sad reflection (yet fitting) that many people consider Kerry Wood -- at times brilliant, but ultimately disappointing -- the face of the Cubs.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2008, 08:00:40 PM »
Quote from: smg on November 13, 2008, 07:20:28 PM
I do not approve.

So now that Prior and Wood are gone, do you have to find a new team?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2008, 08:05:33 PM »
I heard Hendry say on Boers and Bernstein today that he considers Kerry Wood a younger "brother." He said that they'll be friends for the rest of their lives. He also said that when Wood retires he'll always have a spot with the team, whether it's as a coach, advisor, consultant, Spring Training instructor, ambassador, whatever he wants. He said that Kerry has the potential to earn money elsewhere that the Cubs are not in a position to pay him right now and he should go do it.

So if you're mad at Hendry for Kerry Wood leaving the Cubs you're a bit off base. Like Moises Alou, you're not paying attention and you deserve to get hosed.

And now, I'm going to bitch and whine because Kerry Wood will be pitching for the Dodgers next year.

FUUUUUUUDFJ;lkasdjfgkl;ajwl;kfgjpq;iojrwfp;ijrwf...

Ok. I feel better now.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 13, 2008, 07:34:15 PM
Also, it's a sad reflection (yet fitting) that many people consider Kerry Wood -- at times brilliant, but ultimately disappointing -- the face of the Cubs.

I was just saying that to my wife earlier tonight.  I used some different words, but the gist was the exact same.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2008, 08:10:11 PM »
Quote from: Andy on November 13, 2008, 06:46:18 PM
Check this out from Pollyellon.

QuoteSigh...

... I'm afraid you're right. The value of Kerry Wood to this franchise, however, transcends his abilities on the field. That's what they are going to miss.

They had better sign Ryan Dempster now, or the inmates are going to be running the asylum like in 2004, and it won't be pretty.

"That's my opinion and if you don't like it, well, I have others." ~ Groucho Marx

by Al on Nov 13, 2008 4:55 PM CST to parent up reply reply   0 recs

Because clearly, this will now cause chaos! 

Kevin Millar to the rescue!

Ryan Dempster?  Kevin Millar?  Al, are you serious?  ...Sigh...

Bring on the broken glass dragging.
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2008, 08:12:26 PM »
Quote from: Simmer on November 13, 2008, 08:10:11 PM
Quote from: Andy on November 13, 2008, 06:46:18 PM
Check this out from Pollyellon.

QuoteSigh...

... I'm afraid you're right. The value of Kerry Wood to this franchise, however, transcends his abilities on the field. That's what they are going to miss.

They had better sign Ryan Dempster now, or the inmates are going to be running the asylum like in 2004, and it won't be pretty.

"That's my opinion and if you don't like it, well, I have others." ~ Groucho Marx

Because clearly, this will now cause chaos! 

Kevin Millar to the rescue!

Ryan Dempster?  Kevin Millar?  Al, are you serious?  ...Sigh...

Bring on the broken glass dragging.

Sigh...

Doing it in jest to mock someone like Al doesn't count Simmer. God!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2008, 08:56:13 PM »

I equate this to John Wetteland leaving the Yankees after they won the Series in 1996.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

smg

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2008, 09:14:02 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on November 13, 2008, 08:00:40 PM
Quote from: smg on November 13, 2008, 07:20:28 PM
I do not approve.

So now that Prior and Wood are gone, do you have to find a new team?

I was never into Prior.

I don't need a new team; I might, however, have to get Extra Innings again, which I was perhaps planning to skip.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2008, 09:19:03 PM »
Hendry claims the only reason he announced that the Cubs would not bring Kerry back was so that Kerry would get full value on the market.  Hendry thought that like last year, if other GMs assumed he was coming back to the Cubs that nobody would make him a serious offer.

He might find that GMs don't make a serious offer to a tough as nails, all-around good guy, not because they don't think highly of him, or because they think he's going back to the Cubs, but because his arm is hanging by a thread.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
QuoteSigh...

Well then let's hear 'em, bologna beard.

Wait, on second thought, no. Let's not hear them.

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
Quote from: Andy on November 13, 2008, 09:19:03 PM
Hendry claims the only reason he announced that the Cubs would not bring Kerry back was so that Kerry would get full value on the market.  Hendry thought that like last year, if other GMs assumed he was coming back to the Cubs that nobody would make him a serious offer.

He might find that GMs don't make a serious offer to a tough as nails, all-around good guy, not because they don't think highly of him, or because they think he's going back to the Cubs, but because his arm is hanging by a thread.

And I guess if Wood goes out and finds the best he can get are incentive-laden two-year deals in places such as Milwaukee, Detroit, Cincinnati and Anaheim, maybe he comes back to Hendry and gives him a Hawk-style contract.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2008, 10:02:01 PM »
Quote from: Mike D on November 13, 2008, 03:14:32 PM
Some of y'all are little bitches.

Thank baby fucking jesus that I checked to see if you thought it was ok for me to be sad about this.

I'll miss his attitude. 

I'll miss watching him pitch.

Baseball's appeal to me is more than just scoring more runs than the other team.

I'm not ignorant of the financial realities of the game, but that's not where I think the soul of the game resides.

There's few places I'd rather be than Wrigley on any given game day. 

It's not because Marmol's 167 ERA+ only cost $430k.

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »
Quote from: PTanner on April 07, 2008, 08:54:50 AM

The Cubs keep trying out walkout music for Wood (Yesterday was "Welcome To The Jungle"). Wood has said he'd just as soon have the organist play.

Wood is bad-ass.

This.