News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired  ( 163,389 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired
« Reply #270 on: December 15, 2010, 10:16:53 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 15, 2010, 10:13:06 AM
Quote from: Bort on December 15, 2010, 10:11:36 AM
Quote from: BH on December 15, 2010, 09:52:58 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 15, 2010, 09:43:01 AM
Quote from: Yeti on December 15, 2010, 09:40:32 AM
Not really new as I bought this cd probably 6-8 years ago, but did anyone else get into Five For Fighting? Or was I the only one who loved their pussy rock? I'm listening to the CD again and enjoying it. I'm also going to play my Tantric CD today. I haven't heard that in a while and I loved the shit out of when I was 18

No.

No

No.

No.

EW...er, I mean no.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2011, 10:40:52 AM »
There's a band called Yuck. It's a terrible name but they are apparently as fond of the 90s as I am. And that's what they sound like.

Check them out.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: February 17, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 17, 2011, 10:40:52 AM
There's a band called Yuck. It's a terrible name but they are apparently as fond of the 90s as I am. And that's what they sound like.

Check them out.

Speaking of terrible names, some band named "Red" was on Conan a few days ago. What a shitty name for a band. If bands can just pick a color and think that's good enough for a name than the music industry is dead.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »
Quote from: Tony on February 17, 2011, 03:27:23 PM

Check them out.

Speaking of terrible names, some band named "Red" was on Conan a few days ago. What a shitty name for a band. If bands can just pick a color and think that's good enough for a name than the music industry is dead.

Saw that - and they were all caps. I didn't make it to their part of the show. Were they good?

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: February 17, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 17, 2011, 03:28:07 PM
Quote from: Tony on February 17, 2011, 03:27:23 PM

Check them out.

Saw that - and they were all caps. I didn't make it to their part of the show. Were they good?

No.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2011, 05:52:59 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 15, 2010, 10:16:53 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 15, 2010, 10:13:06 AM
Quote from: Bort on December 15, 2010, 10:11:36 AM
Quote from: BH on December 15, 2010, 09:52:58 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 15, 2010, 09:43:01 AM
Quote from: Yeti on December 15, 2010, 09:40:32 AM
Not really new as I bought this cd probably 6-8 years ago, but did anyone else get into Five For Fighting? Or was I the only one who loved their pussy rock? I'm listening to the CD again and enjoying it. I'm also going to play my Tantric CD today. I haven't heard that in a while and I loved the shit out of when I was 18

No.

No

No.

No.

EW...er, I mean no.

Am I too late for this?  No.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »
A few groups I have bought and listened to over the last couple of months. Thom Yorke Dong Chugger has validated 1.5 of these bands:

Mumford & Sons - I really like this album. Call me a sucker for whiney folkie music, but I like it. It's really good. Even my stepdad, who is a music snob of anything before 1990 (I'm just estimating the year), enjoyed them.

The Black Keys - I bought the Brothers album. It's really good. I like their feel. Tighten Up is a fun little song, along with Howlin' For You. I believe Apex say them recently (Forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly). Anyone have any other album suggestions?

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - I believe I mentioned this previously, and I seem to believe Slaky gave kind of a lukewarm "meh" towards them. I'm too lazy to go back and look. I do have to say I enjoy the album. It sounds like it wasn't recorded in a studio that was expensive, and it seems to add to it for me. Gives it an "authentic" feel? I dunno.

Florence & The Machine - This group is really good. I don't typically like rock bands with chick lead singers, but I really enjoy this chick's voice. She can belt it. I would recommend this one, definitely.

Manchester Orchestra - This one I'm kind of lukewarm to. I like the I've Got Friends song but nothing else on this album seems to stand out to me.

Muse - Definitely my favorite right now. I bought the Black Holes & Revelations and the Resistance albums. Really interesting mixture of sounds they do. On Resistance they use a lot of orchestral instruments in much of it.

Neon Trees - This gave me about the same feeling as Manc. Orch. Maybe I need to listed a couple more times, but I'm mainly liking the Animals and 1983 songs.

Temper Trap - I just bought this last night and gave it a couple listen throughs this morning while work. Damn good. Very enjoyable album. The lead singer has a high voice and sounds like he's probably a pussy but it's pretty good. Drum Song is the final track and it is just what it says it is. It's a 3.25 minute track of mainly drums playing. I am kind of a fan of the drums. I love drum solos. The drum playing is one of my favorite things about Russian Circles.

Has anyone listened to Airborne Toxic Event's album with "Just a Little After Midnight". I really like that song, but a friend has given me kind of a crappy review of it. Just wondering what other's opinions were if they've heard it.

I'm sure some will think all of these suck, but there is a lot of music I listen to. I can go from Russian Circles to Toby Keith to Rammstein to Muse to The Kinks to Zac Brown Band to Carl Orff (Represent Nazis!). So my musical taste is just about anything usually.

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2011, 05:00:43 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 24, 2011, 04:31:39 PM
A bunch of bands.

I'm with you on Mumford and Edward Sharpe and some Florence.  I soured on Muse after Absolution and never got into much of the Black Keys or Temper Trap.

[shameless self-promotion]  I started a dumb little website this year with my favorites from 2010 that you can stream and/or download along with my liner notes (mostly written in a late-night, red wine-induced stupor - so there's that).  I'm also updating it as I come across new things in 2011.  It leans toward the poppier side of things with some electronic music dribs and drabs but it's free and might interest some of you - www.cdsplaylist.com [/shameless self-promotion]

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »
New Trail of Dead album is great, especially the 16 minute closer.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »
Julie Christmas - The Bad Wife.

Don't let the name fool you. She's nothing like Christmas.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2011, 09:38:41 PM »
Quote from: Bort on February 25, 2011, 09:20:59 PM

Oh fuck. Not what I expected. Yay.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »
Quote from: MidgetSellingWater on February 24, 2011, 05:00:43 PM
[shameless self-promotion]www.cdsplaylist.com [/shameless self-promotion]

Thanks. This is relevant to my interests.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 25, 2011, 09:38:41 PM

Is this a good "yay" or a bad "yay?"
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
Quote from: Bort on February 26, 2011, 10:42:00 AM

It's a good yay. But it reminded me of a band (not because they're that similar) with a singer named Beth. It's NOT the Gossip. I can't fucking remember the band for the life of me.

EDIT: I remember now. Forget Cassettes.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2011, 12:43:03 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 26, 2011, 12:35:20 PM
Quote from: Bort on February 26, 2011, 10:42:00 AM

It's a good yay. But it reminded me of a band (not because they're that similar) with a singer named Beth. It's NOT the Gossip. I can't fucking remember the band for the life of me.

EDIT: I remember now. Forget Cassettes.

Gotcha. Julie Christmas is from Made Out of Babies and Battle of Mice. Two bands I also love.