News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired  ( 163,349 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: New Music & Stuff I Recently Acquired
« Reply #585 on: February 11, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 11, 2014, 08:42:54 AM
Quote from: Yeti on February 11, 2014, 08:22:29 AM
Quote from: Bort on February 10, 2014, 10:40:48 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 10, 2014, 10:45:48 AM
Quote from: Slaky on February 10, 2014, 10:29:56 AM
Quote from: Yeti on February 10, 2014, 10:23:29 AM
Quote from: Fork on February 10, 2014, 08:28:04 AM
Quote from: Slaky on February 03, 2014, 03:50:37 PM
new Dum Dum Girls album is great.

Kind of got a BJM/JAMC thing going on

If you're a latte drinker who wishes to stay within the boundaries of the law, Starbucks is offering one of the songs ("Are You Okay?")as their free song of the week. Good song, really nice production.

Nice production? Who honestly thinks about that?

"Well, Jimmy, the song was ok, but that production, Holy Jesus, that's some quality shit!"

Who doesn't think about the production. It's important.

Think of it as cinematography for you ears, Yeti.

This is the most Yeti statement I've heard in a long time.

You'd here more if, you know, you came to the shoutbox

seam

wow

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #586 on: February 12, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »
Speaking of solid production: IceJJFish.

Just a bit of love-making music for your Valentine's Day.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #587 on: February 12, 2014, 09:29:43 PM »
I bought another Black Angels album and then I read that they were influenced by 13th Floor Elevators so I bought their best of compilation. Now I no longer have a face. They done rocked it plumb the fuck off. So I also heard Black Angels draw heavily from Velvet Underground, which always sounded like some loud ass, stinky band Bort would think is cool and buy t-shirts about. But maybe not. Where should I start with them? Any of you guys know?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #588 on: February 12, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 12, 2014, 09:29:43 PM
I bought another Black Angels album and then I read that they were influenced by 13th Floor Elevators so I bought their best of compilation. Now I longer have a face. They done rocked it plumb the fuck off. So I also heard Black Angels draw heavily from Velvet Underground, which always sounded like some loud ass, stinky band Bort would think is cool and buy t-shirts about. But maybe not. Where should I start with them? Any of you guys know?

I've long been partial to the Velvet's post–John Cale self-titled album, but I bet the hipster consensus is "White Light/White Heat".

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #589 on: February 12, 2014, 11:55:39 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 12, 2014, 10:37:25 PM
I bought another Black Angels album and then I read that they were influenced by 13th Floor Elevators so I bought their best of compilation. Now I longer have a face. They done rocked it plumb the fuck off. So I also heard Black Angels draw heavily from Velvet Underground, which always sounded like some loud ass, stinky band Bort would think is cool and buy t-shirts about. But maybe not. Where should I start with them? Any of you guys know?

I've long been partial to the Velvet's post–John Cale self-titled album, but I bet the hipster consensus is "White Light/White Heat".

WL/WH is a good one.

Loaded is a good place to start, maybe? VU and Nico probably also an easy one to pick.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #590 on: February 13, 2014, 12:48:10 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 12, 2014, 10:37:25 PM

That's actually my favorite too. I think White Light is a bit overrated, TBH. I think my order of original releases would be s/t > ...and Nico > WL/WH > Loaded. The title track is legit, though.

EDIT: I totally left out VU and that other rarities comp, because I have that box set they released in the 90s, so all the tracks are spread out, so I forget what's on which, though I know some of my favorite songs are.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #591 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:25 AM »
If you really did enjoy the 13th Floor Elevators, maybe check out Roky Erickson's solo stuff too.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #592 on: February 13, 2014, 08:19:54 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 13, 2014, 01:31:25 AM
If you really did enjoy the 13th Floor Elevators, maybe check out Roky Erickson's solo stuff too.

Will do. Thanks for the info on VU too. I'll just sample a bit of all. I know that rock bands tend to vary greatly from year to year, album to album. I know what I'm doing with rap when it comes to knowing when a group started to suck starfish. With rock I'm like a child who wanders into a movie...
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #593 on: February 13, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 13, 2014, 08:19:54 AM

Will do. Thanks for the info on VU too. I'll just sample a bit of all. I know that rock bands tend to vary greatly from year to year, album to album. I know what I'm doing with rap when it comes to knowing when a group started to suck starfish. With rock I'm like a child who wanders into a movie...

Shut the fuck up Donnie.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #594 on: February 20, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #595 on: February 20, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 13, 2014, 08:19:54 AM

Pick up some Moby Grape too. Not that they have anything to do with any of this other stuff, but Moby Grape was fucking awesome.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #596 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 18, 2011, 07:59:19 PM
David Mayfield Parade: Long Link

He came out with a new album last year that you should give a listen to if you like queer folk/bluegrass shit.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #597 on: March 07, 2014, 03:33:39 PM »
California X kicks ass if you like rock music. Lydia Loveless is a great country singer who writes great country songs. Superchunk's newest album is really solid.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #598 on: March 25, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »
the new hold steady record is outstanding and this is coming from someone who wouldn't say they're intimate with their catalog at all.

Word is it's a return to form - apparently their recent output has been less than satisfactory.

Not sure if my lack of knowledge around their discography hurts or helps my take but listen to this. Super enjoyable.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #599 on: March 29, 2014, 10:14:56 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 25, 2014, 11:03:53 AM
the new hold steady record is outstanding and this is coming from someone who wouldn't say they're intimate with their catalog at all.

Word is it's a return to form - apparently their recent output has been less than satisfactory.

Not sure if my lack of knowledge around their discography hurts or helps my take but listen to this. Super enjoyable.

I'd mostly agree with that, but would probably stop short of calling it outstanding. I loved "Boys and Girls in America" -- probably one of my favorite albums from 2006.

"Stay Positive" and "Heaven is Whenever" while both listenable were fairly forgettable.

I'd say their new record is pretty solid. Somewhere between those last two and "Boys and Girls."