News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Pollyellon banned me  ( 370,186 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Pollyellon banned me
« Reply #1995 on: April 21, 2014, 04:30:20 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 21, 2014, 10:34:41 AM
I'm aware of all that. But I'd hoped that the guys advertised as the best minds as baseball could come up with a market inefficiency better than "gotta lose now so we don't lose later."

Goddammit, Theo! Make a new inefficiency in the market already!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1996 on: April 21, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 21, 2014, 04:30:20 PM
I'm aware of all that. But I'd hoped that the guys advertised as the best minds as baseball could come up with a market inefficiency better than "gotta lose now so we don't lose later."

In which Eli gets unmercifully owned by Internet Chuck in front of God and everybody.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1997 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 21, 2014, 04:33:41 PM

In which Eli gets unmercifully owned by Internet Chuck in front of God and everybody.

Maybe I should have said "strategy" instead of "market inefficiency" so it couldn't be so narrowly interpreted. I still stand by my overall point.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1998 on: April 21, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 21, 2014, 04:46:17 PM

Maybe I should have said "strategy" instead of "market inefficiency" so it couldn't be so narrowly interpreted. I still stand by my overall point.
Goddammit, Theo! Come up with a better strategy than what current rules allow already!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1999 on: April 21, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »

Or what we can do is hope that "best minds baseball can come up with" means more in terms of talent evaluation and development than market strategy, now that everybody is pretty much hip to what was going on. The rich teams can now spend out the dick on the best and brightest scouts and stat analysts and arm them with the tools and resources they need to be successful. And the Big Papi's won't fall out of the sky but rather sprout up from the dirt, which they've cultivated during a long, arduous, buttpounding process that takes longer than anyone here wanted to spend.

This is our hope, dude. This is where we're at with this shit.  
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2000 on: April 21, 2014, 05:40:28 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 21, 2014, 04:55:10 PM

Or what we can do is hope that "best minds baseball can come up with" means more in terms of talent evaluation and development than market strategy, now that everybody is pretty much hip to what was going on. The rich teams can now spend out the dick on the best and brightest scouts and stat analysts and arm them with the tools and resources they need to be successful. And the Big Papi's won't fall out of the sky but rather sprout up from the dirt, which they've cultivated during a long, arduous, buttpounding process that takes longer than anyone here wanted to spend.

It's a low bar, but this is probably my favorite thing you've posted in a long time.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2001 on: April 21, 2014, 06:40:09 PM »

(dries eyes) That was beautiful.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2002 on: April 21, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »

This is all true. We can definitely hope all of that.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2003 on: April 22, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 21, 2014, 09:38:46 PM

This is all true. We can definitely hope all of that.

I was reading yesterday that Baez and Bryant (our own Killer Bs! THE BEEG!) are projected to be 12 WAR players combined when they're finally up for good.

If my math isn't failing me, that means the addition of those two over replacement level alternatives, of which there are many (some worse than that), means the Cubs go from a 70 win team to an 82 win team. They're instantly a .500 team and that means with a few breaks they're contenders. With a couple savvy additions or the panning out of any 1 or 2 other prospects they're going for the division.

Does that help? that's my positive for the day. Because the idea of sitting through a Cubs game in which Travis Wood does all the pitching and hitting makes me want to throw up and die.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2004 on: April 22, 2014, 08:46:08 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 22, 2014, 08:35:32 AM
I was reading yesterday that Baez and Bryant (our own Killer Bs! THE BEEG!) are projected to be 12 WAR players combined when they're finally up for good.

If my math isn't failing me, that means the addition of those two over replacement level alternatives, of which there are many (some worse than that), means the Cubs go from a 70 win team to an 82 win team. They're instantly a .500 team and that means with a few breaks they're contenders. With a couple savvy additions or the panning out of any 1 or 2 other prospects they're going for the division.

Does that help? that's my positive for the day. Because the idea of sitting through a Cubs game in which Travis Wood does all the pitching and hitting makes me want to throw up and die.

Interesting. Got a link? That'd certainly be grounds for much joyful positive if it happened, since there were only 12 hitters with 6 WAR or better last year (sorted list here*). Adding two superstars would obviously go a long way toward making the Cubs contenders.

It's not impossible if they hit the upper end of their projections. But even the most optimistic fan probably finds it unlikely that they're both that good immediately upon arrival.

* Stupid Josh Donaldson

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2005 on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:26 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 22, 2014, 08:46:08 AM

Interesting. Got a link? That'd certainly be grounds for much joyful positive if it happened, since there were only 12 hitters with 6 WAR or better last year (sorted list here*). Adding two superstars would obviously go a long way toward making the Cubs contenders.

It's not impossible if they hit the upper end of their projections. But even the most optimistic fan probably finds it unlikely that they're both that good immediately upon arrival.

* Stupid Josh Donaldson

I can find the link. Yeah, and I agree that's asking a lot. For two prospects to top out you'd have to think we'd endured a lifetime of bad baseball or something.

This tweet below has the links:

https://twitter.com/TimBaffoe/status/458606668037636097

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2006 on: April 22, 2014, 10:43:46 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 22, 2014, 08:56:26 AM

* Stupid Josh Donaldson

I can find the link. Yeah, and I agree that's asking a lot. For two prospects to top out you'd have to think we'd endured a lifetime of bad baseball or something.

I'm sure projections for minor leaguers can run on the dicier side as far as prediction goes. But they can still give us all some descriptive boners, right?

Even if the actual numbers spit out are dubiously high in and of themselves (35 HR for Baez if he got 600 MLB PA this season?!), they offer a contextual glimpse at how truly retarded these two have been in the minors thus far.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2007 on: April 22, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »
* Stupid Josh Donaldson

#nicechoicejim
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2008 on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 22, 2014, 10:43:46 AM

* Stupid Josh Donaldson

I'm sure projections for minor leaguers can run on the dicier side as far as prediction goes. But they can still give us all some descriptive boners, right?

Even if the actual numbers spit out are dubiously high in and of themselves (35 HR for Baez if he got 600 MLB PA this season?!), they offer a contextual glimpse at how truly retarded these two have been in the minors thus far.

Yeah so we can at least have a place to store some kind of future give a shit about baseball. In the meantime I don't exaggerate when I say that this whole season feels like a waste of time and I barely ever even look at the standings anymore. Whenever there's a report about a player breaking out from nowhere or a team that is on a crazy run of success that's completely unexpected I get pangs of jealousy. It makes me angry that it just doesn't matter.

The Cubs are 1-4 in one run games. That stat seems to hold a key to that lucky season where contenders come from nowhere.

The Cubs just continue to scuffle aimlessly with sub replacement level players at almost every position. Even Castro, who's looking better is sub 100 on his OPS+. You had some guys who might have gotten off to a hot start - the only guy who did is Neifi Perez 2 and that's already fading fast.

What a joyless bunch of shitheels.

I hate this fucking team.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2009 on: April 22, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 22, 2014, 10:58:19 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 22, 2014, 10:43:46 AM

* Stupid Josh Donaldson

Yeah so we can at least have a place to store some kind of future give a shit about baseball. In the meantime I don't exaggerate when I say that this whole season feels like a waste of time and I barely ever even look at the standings anymore. Whenever there's a report about a player breaking out from nowhere or a team that is on a crazy run of success that's completely unexpected I get pangs of jealousy. It makes me angry that it just doesn't matter.

The Cubs are 1-4 in one run games. That stat seems to hold a key to that lucky season where contenders come from nowhere.

The Cubs just continue to scuffle aimlessly with sub replacement level players at almost every position. Even Castro, who's looking better is sub 100 on his OPS+. You had some guys who might have gotten off to a hot start - the only guy who did is Neifi Perez 2 and that's already fading fast.

What a joyless bunch of shitheels.

I hate this fucking team.

Nah. There's no one hateable left. Not one player on this team is a detriment to them trading for / spending money on a future free agent to help. Nor is anyone blocking anyone else from coming up to a position. The closest to any of this is Castro because: A) It sure seems he's not going to be a perennial all star; and B) there is a potential conflict with Baez viz a viz the short stop position.  But B is mitigated by the possibility of a move to second for one of them and the tradability of both of them.

The worst part about this team is knowing it's not worth watching until either Baez or Bryant comes up (which is a big time saver) and knowing that $14mm is still being wasted on Soriano.