News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Pollyellon banned me  ( 370,068 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Pollyellon banned me
« Reply #1890 on: July 08, 2013, 08:55:25 PM »
Quote from: CT III on July 08, 2013, 08:25:16 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 08, 2013, 07:22:03 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 08, 2013, 07:18:21 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 08, 2013, 06:51:47 PM
No, they shouldn't.

Jeff Francoeur is Not a Prospect, therefore Al wants him.  And he's not talking about rebuilding value for a trade either:

Quote from: AlbertTo me, it's a no-brainer. Try him out. If he's still bad after a few weeks of platooning, just release him. If he can perform well enough in that platoon role, he's just 29 and could be a useful spare part for the next couple of years. There's almost literally no downside to giving him a shot.

"just 29" lol k.  Those are the choices.  Release him if he's worthless, or let him keep a roster spot warm for the next two years (which would require signing him to a new contract) if he isn't.  Andy and Kerm, take over BCB already.

I know it's Al and pointing out flaws in his thinking is a waste of time, but there isn't "literally no downside." There are roster implications, missed opportunities for young guys (Junior Lake, perhaps?) and other things that actually matter. Major League rosters aren't like rec softball leagues where someone can just show up and fill in for a while.

Again, I'm having a one-sided argument with a moron here, so whatever.

Hey now.  He said "ALMOST" literally no downside, which, besides being a wonderfully constructed phrase, is his trademark opening to disclaim this later if convenient.  That's the key to never being wrong about your milquetoast opinions.  Always Be Hedging.  Brett is good at it too, which sometimes requires inserting context retroactively:

Quote from: JBarnes"I don't expect that it will be a top prospect – or even someone in the Nats' top 30..."

"As I'd guessed, the Cubs are getting a prospect that looks to be in the 20 to 30 range in the Nationals' system..."

Hmmm did you guess that?

Quote from: BrettHaste. Sorry. My gut was that I'd originally said "back-end of the top 30 at best."

Fuck.

FUCK.

Jeff Francoeur?  JEFF FRANCOEUR?!?  Of all the washed up shitheads that are on the street for the Cubs to sign so that Al can buy a shirsey with a name on the back that people recognize he wants them to sign JEFF FUCKING FANCOEUR?!?!?!?

I mean fuck.  Even when Francoeur was good he was bad.  And now that he's 29 and in decline (from not being that good to begin with) and he's pretty much the antithesis of the type of player Epstein and Hoyer have said they want to acquire AL FUCKING YELLON who runs THE MOST POPULAR CUBS WEBSITE ON THE GODDAMNED INTERNET wants to sign this asshole?!?  Because he wants to say nice things to Francouer when he's falling down in the leftfield so he can feel good when his friend Jeff takes out the inevitable "THANK YOU CUBBEEZ FANZ" ad in the Chicago Tribune at the end of the season?

Fuck.

I think my favorite part of Al's plan is "If he's still bad after a few weeks of platooning".

You know, because 20 or 30 platoon at bats should be enough to turn Francoeur's 9-year career right around.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1891 on: July 08, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »
I thought Franc was like 35 or some shit.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1892 on: July 08, 2013, 11:14:02 PM »

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1893 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
Quote from: Tony on July 08, 2013, 11:14:02 PM
Maybe Al is on to something... Jeff Francoeur and Yasiel Puig are basically the same player.

WE MISSED OUR SHOT AT FRANCUIG.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/354585344643043328

Quote@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: Francoeur agrees with #SFGiants.

My god. Will someone tell Jepstink to throw a truckload of cash at Grady Sizemore before someone else beats us to him?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1894 on: July 09, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
No, they shouldn't.

Jeff Francoeur is Not a Prospect, therefore Al wants him.  And he's not talking about rebuilding value for a trade either:

Quote from: AlbertTo me, it's a no-brainer. Try him out. If he's still bad after a few weeks of platooning, just release him. If he can perform well enough in that platoon role, he's just 29 and could be a useful spare part for the next couple of years. There's almost literally no downside to giving him a shot.

"just 29" lol k.  Those are the choices.  Release him if he's worthless, or let him keep a roster spot warm for the next two years (which would require signing him to a new contract) if he isn't.  Andy and Kerm, take over BCB already.

I know it's Al and pointing out flaws in his thinking is a waste of time, but there isn't "literally no downside." There are roster implications, missed opportunities for young guys (Junior Lake, perhaps?) and other things that actually matter. Major League rosters aren't like rec softball leagues where someone can just show up and fill in for a while.

Hey now.  He said "ALMOST" literally no downside, which, besides being a wonderfully constructed phrase, is his trademark opening to disclaim this later if convenient.  That's the key to never being wrong about your milquetoast opinions.  Always Be Hedging.  Brett is good at it too, which sometimes requires inserting context retroactively:

Quote from: JBarnes"I don't expect that it will be a top prospect – or even someone in the Nats' top 30..."

"As I'd guessed, the Cubs are getting a prospect that looks to be in the 20 to 30 range in the Nationals' system..."

Hmmm did you guess that?

Quote from: BrettHaste. Sorry. My gut was that I'd originally said "back-end of the top 30 at best."

I'm willing to cut the guy some slack considering he churns out a shit ton of quality Cubs reading on a daily basis.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1895 on: July 09, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 09, 2013, 09:23:35 AM
No, they shouldn't.

Hmmm did you guess that?

I'm willing to cut the guy some slack considering he churns out a shit ton of quality Cubs reading on a daily basis.

Seconded.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1896 on: July 09, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »
Quote from: Bort on July 09, 2013, 09:34:59 AM
Quote from: R-V on July 09, 2013, 09:23:35 AM
No, they shouldn't.

Hmmm did you guess that?

Seconded.

I won't deny that he does a good job of covering all things Cub. I just find his writing style annoying. Like using headlines that start with Fiiiiiiiiiiinally.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1897 on: July 09, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 09, 2013, 12:46:23 PM
I won't deny that he does a good job of covering all things Cub. I just find his writing style annoying. Like using headlines that start with Fiiiiiiiiiiinally.

Ahem.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1898 on: July 09, 2013, 01:39:05 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 09, 2013, 01:24:05 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 09, 2013, 12:46:23 PM

Ahem.

Touché.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1899 on: July 10, 2013, 03:14:30 PM »
Is Morrissey talking about anyone we know?

"And now Garza, who, by the way, has had bone-related elbow injuries the past two seasons and has a screw in his throwing elbow from a childhood injury. Given that these are the hard-luck Cubs, they might want to hurry up on a trade.

The news apparently hasn't gotten through to everyone that this team is a rebuilding project or, better, using our hoarding imagery, that this is a forced garage sale. I'll be kind and call it an estate sale, which sounds classier and evokes a death in the family — the death of the old Cubs."
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1900 on: July 10, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1901 on: July 10, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1902 on: July 11, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 10, 2013, 09:35:01 PM

Sir, you can't leave the country now when we need people like you most!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1903 on: July 11, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »
Further evidence that Kim is a big fan of the Al Yellon experience:

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1904 on: July 13, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »