News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Generation Kill  ( 9,773 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Generation Kill
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:51:54 AM »
New HBO mini-series from the makers of The Wire. Ed Burns and David Simon wrote and produced it. It's about the Iraq War invasion from the perspective of the first Marines in.

Burns and Simon said in an interview somewhere that they aren't concerned with a political agenda here and that they're only concerned with "getting the story right" from the perspective of those who lived it.

Pretty refreshing actually. The first episode has them at Camp Mathilda on the Kuwaiti/Iraqi border itching and clamoring for battle. They seem to believe that the sledding will be as easy as it was in the first conflict, though they do take precautions for gas attacks that seem odd now knowing what we know of the Iraqi WMD arsenal.

The first episode ended with them rolling into battle. The scenes were shot in South Africa and I think they've done an excellent job of making the battlefield look terrifying. Knowing what we do of the fight ahead, the smoke-filled sky and artillery in the distance sound eerily ominous on a level that few war movies have achieved. Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers spring to mind as films in which the fear and dread of what lies ahead is palpable in the foreshadowing of the first fighting. This exceeds those in my opinion, perhpas because I personally know several Marines who were in that battle. All of them came home a little worse for wear mentally.

Find out when they re-air this and get caught up on the first episode. The second episode airs Sunday night at 8. You communist.   
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Generation Kill
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on July 14, 2008, 09:51:54 AM
New HBO mini-series from the makers of The Wire. Ed Burns and David Simon wrote and produced it. It's about the Iraq War invasion from the perspective of the first Marines in.

Burns and Simon said in an interview somewhere that they aren't concerned with a political agenda here and that they're only concerned with "getting the story right" from the perspective of those who lived it.

Pretty refreshing actually. The first episode has them at Camp Mathilda on the Kuwaiti/Iraqi border itching and clamoring for battle. They seem to believe that the sledding will be as easy as it was in the first conflict, though they do take precautions for gas attacks that seem odd now knowing what we know of the Iraqi WMD arsenal.

The first episode ended with them rolling into battle. The scenes were shot in South Africa and I think they've done an excellent job of making the battlefield look terrifying. Knowing what we do of the fight ahead, the smoke-filled sky and artillery in the distance sound eerily ominous on a level that few war movies have achieved. Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers spring to mind as films in which the fear and dread of what lies ahead is palpable in the foreshadowing of the first fighting. This exceeds those in my opinion, perhpas because I personally know several Marines who were in that battle. All of them came home a little worse for wear mentally.

Find out when they re-air this and get caught up on the first episode. The second episode airs Sunday night at 8. You communist.   

I'm glad you posted this.  I have it saved on my DVR.  The promos were steak sauce.  I can't wait to watch it.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »
I thought it was really good.  Can't wait for the next six.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:02:30 PM »
First episode is On Demand now. 

Watch it.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

cubbiebluestew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »
I am reminded about HBO's series "Band of Brothers".  I thought that was a great series.  The first episode involving David Schwimmer, who loses his chance to command the "Band" in combat, wasn't much.   As soon as they get into combat it became riveting, especially the episode where a handful of them are pinned down in foxholes by artillery fire.
Life is too short to be a Cub fan

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:01:33 PM »
Quote from: cubbiebluestew on July 15, 2008, 05:42:34 PM
I am reminded about HBO's series "Band of Brothers".  I thought that was a great series.  The first episode involving David Schwimmer, who loses his chance to command the "Band" in combat, wasn't much.   As soon as they get into combat it became riveting, especially the episode where a handful of them are pinned down in foxholes by artillery fire.

Tremendous show.  I remember that scene too; one of the best...

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:13:43 AM »

I just started watching that series again the other night.  I actually liked the first episode with "HI-YO, SILVER!" Schwimmer.

I think the episode you're talking about with the foxholes is "Bastogne," which is probably my favorite, too.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:14:20 AM »
Quote from: Kerm on July 16, 2008, 10:13:43 AM

I just started watching that series again the other night.  I actually liked the first episode with "HI-YO, SILVER!" Schwimmer.

I think the episode you're talking about with the foxholes is "Bastogne," which is probably my favorite, too.

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen "Band of Brothers."  I think that I really need to get someone to get that for me for Christmas.  Or just because.

On that note, I finished Part 1 last night.  They created or recreated some pretty awesome characters.  I can't wait to see the combat scenes.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 08:24:53 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on July 17, 2008, 08:14:20 AM

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen "Band of Brothers."  I think that I really need to get someone to get that for me for Christmas.  Or just because.

Don't be ashamed.  I haven't seen it, either. 
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 08:45:14 AM »
Quote from: JD on July 17, 2008, 08:24:53 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on July 17, 2008, 08:14:20 AM

Don't be ashamed.  I haven't seen it, either. 

JD is approaching TDubbs status.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »
Episode Two: Titballs made of real tits.

One problem with the show, if any. Too many characters and I'm having difficulty telling them apart. So if one or two get fragged, I'll have a harder time feeling for that character the way I ought to. In a seven part series, character development will be difficult.

Other than that the entire thing reeks of awesomeness. Get some.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 10:27:44 AM »
Quote from: ~Apex on July 20, 2008, 10:01:20 PM

One problem with the show, if any. Too many characters and I'm having difficulty telling them apart. So if one or two get fragged, I'll have a harder time feeling for that character the way I ought to. In a seven part series, character development will be difficult.

I haven't seen Part II yet.  But, I find myself liking that guy I can't understand.  The one who said something about the corners of the moustaches...that guy is a real dick.

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:49 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on July 21, 2008, 10:27:44 AM

I haven't seen Part II yet.  But, I find myself liking that guy I can't understand.  The one who said something about the corners of the moustaches...that guy is a real dick.

I could be wrong, but I think he's the guy who played the ghey son of the chief (proper terminology?) in Rescue Me.  If not, he looks like him.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »
Quote from: J Rod on July 21, 2008, 10:57:49 AM

I could be wrong, but I think he's the guy who played the ghey son of the chief (proper terminology?) in Rescue Me.  If not, he looks like him.

They ALL look the same to you, don't they? You gheycist.

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 11:32:02 AM »
Quote from: RV on July 21, 2008, 11:21:52 AM
Quote from: J Rod on July 21, 2008, 10:57:49 AM

They ALL look the same to you, don't they? You gheycist.

Well played.

Looks like the same dude, if imdb is right:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428925/