News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Generation Kill  ( 9,774 )

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Generation Kill
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
Quote from: J Rod on July 21, 2008, 11:32:02 AM
Quote from: RV on July 21, 2008, 11:21:52 AM
Quote from: J Rod on July 21, 2008, 10:57:49 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on July 21, 2008, 10:27:44 AM
Quote from: ~Apex on July 20, 2008, 10:01:20 PM
Episode Two: Titballs made of real tits.

One problem with the show, if any. Too many characters and I'm having difficulty telling them apart. So if one or two get fragged, I'll have a harder time feeling for that character the way I ought to. In a seven part series, character development will be difficult.

Other than that the entire thing reeks of awesomeness. Get some.

I haven't seen Part II yet.  But, I find myself liking that guy I can't understand.  The one who said something about the corners of the moustaches...that guy is a real dick.

I could be wrong, but I think he's the guy who played the ghey son of the chief (proper terminology?) in Rescue Me.  If not, he looks like him.

They ALL look the same to you, don't they? You gheycist.

Well played.

Looks like the same dude, if imdb is right:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428925/

IRONY ALERT!  He plays a part in this year's newest hit film "Heterosexuals."  Money.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 08:29:12 AM »
If you guys like the show, I'd check out HBO's website for it.  It's pretty impressive.  It looks like the entire series is based on a book penned by the Rolling Stone writer that is tagging along with Bravo company.  The writer, Evan Wright, has written up blog style entries related to every show in the series, giving a little background information on what was going on.  The website even has a map that shows the route taken by Bravo, broken down by episode.

From reading his entries, I found it interesting that Wright was against having an actor play himself in the show - not wanting it to be about himself at all.  And he makes every attempt to make it clear that there was competent leadership within the division Bravo company was a part of - just that Bravo ended up with "Captain America" and "Encino Man".  Wright said that he and Simon "shoehorned" the captain of Alpha company into the story to show that there were good leaders within the division.

And I found out that Marine Sgt. Rudy Reyes (the big dude they rag on for being ghey) is playing himself in the show.  Impressive.

Oh, and they also have some sort of drive set up where HBO, or the makers of the products, will send 1 item of your choosing for providing them with a valid email address.  Under "Troop Drive".

http://www.hbo.com/generationkill/

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 11:58:57 AM »
Thanks for the heads up J-Rod.

HBO OnDemand has several short features with the actors and the Marines they portray among other stuff like Bootcamp scenes and etc...

I'm watching it right now!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 10:11:21 PM »
"Well, sir, it's just that you're incompetent."

Badass.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 09:11:26 AM »
Finally got around to watching this. Hopefully my contribution to this thread can be as profound as IAN's:

QuoteI'm glad you posted this.  I have it saved on my DVR.  The promos were steak sauce.  I can't wait to watch it.

QuoteI'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen "Band of Brothers."  I think that I really need to get someone to get that for me for Christmas.

QuoteI haven't seen Part II yet.  But, I find myself liking that guy I can't understand.

Anyway, I'm 3 episodes in, and this is great stuff. I feel like I'm watching The Wire again...smart, selfless, courageous dudes waging a battle not only against their poorly-defined enemy, but against institutional incompetence, dumbass superiors and apathetic peers. All while trying to deal with a ridiculous lack of resources.

Ziggy from Season 2 of The Wire is perfectly cast as the motormouth driver of the lead Humvee. Can't wait to watch the rest, and check out the supplemental stuff J Rod linked to.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 11:41:15 AM »
Quote from: RV on December 29, 2008, 09:11:26 AM
Finally got around to watching this. Hopefully my contribution to this thread can be as profound as IAN's:

QuoteI'm glad you posted this.  I have it saved on my DVR.  The promos were steak sauce.  I can't wait to watch it.

QuoteI'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen "Band of Brothers."  I think that I really need to get someone to get that for me for Christmas.

QuoteI haven't seen Part II yet.  But, I find myself liking that guy I can't understand.

Anyway, I'm 3 episodes in, and this is great stuff. I feel like I'm watching The Wire again...smart, selfless, courageous dudes waging a battle not only against their poorly-defined enemy, but against institutional incompetence, dumbass superiors and apathetic peers. All while trying to deal with a ridiculous lack of resources.

Ziggy from Season 2 of The Wire is perfectly cast as the motormouth driver of the lead Humvee. Can't wait to watch the rest, and check out the supplemental stuff J Rod linked to.

Hey look, it's that guy who's bemoaning the fact that the Paperback Writer Thread has fewer posts than Mom's Basement, and how that's destroying the intellectual fabric of our country.

Read the fuckin' book, dingleberry. http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=6221.0
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
Quote from: CT II on December 29, 2008, 11:41:15 AM

Hey look, it's that guy who's bemoaning the fact that the Paperback Writer Thread has fewer posts than Mom's Basement, and how that's destroying the intellectual fabric of our country.

Read the fuckin' book, dingleberry. http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=6221.0

Bemoaning is a pretty big word. You learn that in a book or something?

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »
Quote from: RV on December 29, 2008, 11:53:50 AM

Bemoaning is a pretty big word. You learn that in a book or something?

I learned it from reading Peter King.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »

CT's a bit like Doc, except more butt-oriented.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »

Question about that guy:  Was he in Band of Brothers?  (begins search on teh Google and IMDB)

After a quick look, it appears not.  Anyway, Band of Brothers was on teh History Channel this week, and in HD.  B O N E R T I M E.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »
I watched about 5 hours of Generation Kill last night.  I love it.  Brad's rants against Ray's "whiskey tango" lifestyle are priceless.  It definitely has a Band of Brothers feel, especially in the conflict between the incompetent platoon leaders and the more-intelligent grunts.  The writer for Rolling Stone has some brass balls.  If you're thinking of watching this On Demand from Comcast, do it this week.  It looks like it expires on December 7th.
Hire Jim Essian!

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 12:29:47 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 30, 2009, 10:45:02 AM
I watched about 5 hours of Generation Kill last night.  I love it.  Brad's rants against Ray's "whiskey tango" lifestyle are priceless.  It definitely has a Band of Brothers feel, especially in the conflict between the incompetent platoon leaders and the more-intelligent grunts.  The writer for Rolling Stone has some brass balls.  If you're thinking of watching this On Demand from Comcast, do it this week.  It looks like it expires on December 7th.

Kerm, if you thought the series was good, the book is better (well, without all the pretty pictures and explosions and such).  I've actually only seen the first three or four in the HBO series, but the book was amazing.  Also, the phrase "combat jack" is awesome.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 12:48:25 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on December 02, 2009, 12:29:47 PM

Kerm, if you thought the series was good, the book is better (well, without all the pretty pictures and explosions and such).  I've actually only seen the first three or four in the HBO series, but the book was amazing.  Also, the phrase "combat jack" is awesome.

Yeah, the book is outstanding.  I actually wish I had read the book prior to watching the show, as it gives you a lot of background on the guys, whereas the series just tosses you into the deep end.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »

There's only seven in the HBO series.  You should finish what you've started.
Hire Jim Essian!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 02:31:49 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 02, 2009, 01:52:52 PM
I watched about 5 hours of Generation Kill last night.  I love it.  Brad's rants against Ray's "whiskey tango" lifestyle are priceless.  It definitely has a Band of Brothers feel, especially in the conflict between the incompetent platoon leaders and the more-intelligent grunts.  The writer for Rolling Stone has some brass balls.  If you're thinking of watching this On Demand from Comcast, do it this week.  It looks like it expires on December 7th.

Kerm, if you thought the series was good, the book is better (well, without all the pretty pictures and explosions and such).  I've actually only seen the first three or four in the HBO series, but the book was amazing.  Also, the phrase "combat jack" is awesome.

There's only seven in the HBO series.  You should finish what you've started.

Like the list of the greatest Cub-killers of all time.