News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Mark Prior - Someone else's problem  ( 59,293 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Mark Prior - Someone else's problem
« Reply #300 on: December 12, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 12, 2013, 08:27:27 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 12, 2013, 12:52:34 PM
Mark Prior, just an employee.

Mark Prior
Director of Towel Operations

No, Malory.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #301 on: December 12, 2013, 08:33:49 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 12, 2013, 08:31:34 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 12, 2013, 08:27:27 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 12, 2013, 12:52:34 PM
Mark Prior, just an employee.

Mark Prior
Director of Towel Operations

No, Malory.

That's Sterling Malory to you.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »
Saw this on si.com this afternoon.

http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2016/08/03/mark-prior-chicago-cubs-no-regrets

Don't really have anything to say about it, but thought some of you guys might be interested.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »
Quote from: J Rod on August 04, 2016, 03:41:20 PM

Don't really have anything to say about it, but thought some of you guys might be interested.

Mark, I will never not hate Dusty Baker or Marcus Giles.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #306 on: August 04, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »

It's a good article and I'm glad he's happy and the entire thing is sad as hell, but him saying "don't blame Dusty Baker" doesn't change shit about my opinion. Players always want to stay in the game. Players always want to win, so him saying "I never asked to come out, etc" doesn't move the needle at all. Managers have to save players from themselves and take a longer view of things. He even specifically says "people blaming Dusty for my arm troubles forget the Giles collision", but Dusty left him in the game after that collision!

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2016, 04:11:20 PM

It's a good article and I'm glad he's happy and the entire thing is sad as hell, but him saying "don't blame Dusty Baker" doesn't change shit about my opinion. Players always want to stay in the game. Players always want to win, so him saying "I never asked to come out, etc" doesn't move the needle at all. Managers have to save players from themselves and take a longer view of things. He even specifically says "people blaming Dusty for my arm troubles forget the Giles collision", but Dusty left him in the game after that collision!

I'd say what you are describing here is the job of a General Manager.  Whatever you think of Dusty, his job is (was) to win as many games as possible in the current season, and if it means pitching the hell out of his best pitchers, well that's what he's going to do.  If pitch counts or steps need to be taken, that's for the GM to dictate to the manager, who is his employee.

I will agree the Giles thing was dumb, but for some reason the trainer didn't insist that Prior come out of that game and he eventually took the fall for it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2016, 10:22:06 AM »
Quote from: CT III on August 05, 2016, 10:13:49 AM

I'd say what you are describing here is the job of a General Manager.  Whatever you think of Dusty, his job is (was) to win as many games as possible in the current season, and if it means pitching the hell out of his best pitchers, well that's what he's going to do.  If pitch counts or steps need to be taken, that's for the GM to dictate to the manager, who is his employee.

I will agree the Giles thing was dumb, but for some reason the trainer didn't insist that Prior come out of that game and he eventually took the fall for it.

Ehhh...there are still times when the pitcher abuse isn't even justifiable with that excuse. I mean look at game 2 of the NLCS when he sent Prior out there for the 7th with a nine run lead. The "trying to win as many games as possible" argument there is to pull him and save his bullets for his next start in the series.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2016, 10:27:10 AM »
Quote from: CT III on August 05, 2016, 10:13:49 AM

I still remember screaming at the radio for Dusty to take Prior out of Game 2 after the 5th inning. Fucking idiot.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club