News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 109,997 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 12, 2009, 11:19:30 AM
The problem with that is you have to get two developers working on the same code simultaneously.  It works for COD because they're working on two completely different games.  A new sports game is simply an updated version of the previous title.  So the problem is you'd have say Visual Concept's MLB 2k8 with "Super Zone Hitting" and whoever the hell made the other version's MLB 2k9 with "Ultra Swing Hitting," and do you go back to "Super Zone Hitting" in 2k10?  The only way it would work correctly is if the two companies were developing with completely different engines.

Couldn't the two groups, you know, TALK to each other?

Never mind.  I just remembered we're talking about programmers.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 12, 2009, 03:27:02 PM
Quote from: Weebs on January 12, 2009, 11:19:30 AM
The problem with that is you have to get two developers working on the same code simultaneously.  It works for COD because they're working on two completely different games.  A new sports game is simply an updated version of the previous title.  So the problem is you'd have say Visual Concept's MLB 2k8 with "Super Zone Hitting" and whoever the hell made the other version's MLB 2k9 with "Ultra Swing Hitting," and do you go back to "Super Zone Hitting" in 2k10?  The only way it would work correctly is if the two companies were developing with completely different engines.

Couldn't the two groups, you know, TALK to each other?

Never mind.  I just remembered we're talking about programmers.

Your conventional wisdom is not welcome here.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 10:02:10 AM »
DPD, but I finally had a look-see at the features list and found this:

Real-time Living World

Anything that happens in a baseball stadium happens in 2K9 in Real Time.
Players will move from the dugout to the batter's box and from the bullpen to the mound.
Players warm up by throwing around the horn, bat swinging practice, etc.
Umpire, ball boys, coaches – All onfield personnel will be moving naturally to and from their positions.
Celebrations – Players will react properly to a regular end-game to walkoff home run, to no-hitter and World Series celebration.
Vendors move in the crowd
Fans react to home runs and foul balls

That's going to be pretty cool, if it's done well.  But, again...I hope this includes some upgrading to the stadiums.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 13, 2009, 10:02:10 AM

Real-time Living World

Players will move from the dugout to the batter's box and from the bullpen to the mound.
Umpire, ball boys, coaches – All onfield personnel will be moving naturally to and from their positions.
Celebrations – Players will react properly to a regular end-game to walkoff home run, to no-hitter and World Series celebration.

That's going to be pretty cool, if it's done well.  But, again...I hope this includes some upgrading to the stadiums.

It's incredible that it took them this long to do the crowd stuff.  Hopefully if you are playing as the Royals, you'll get about 10,000 people in your ballpark every game.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 13, 2009, 10:25:16 AM

Real-time Living World

It's incredible that it took them this long to do the crowd stuff.  Hopefully if you are playing as the Royals, you'll get about 10,000 people in your ballpark every game.

They better not have anyone sitting in Yellon's seat.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 13, 2009, 10:27:49 AM

Real-time Living World

They better not have anyone sitting in Yellon's seat.

They better have Yellon sitting in Yellon's seat.  Authentic my ass!

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 10:41:21 AM »

Real-time Living World

Huh?  Isn't this the first time ANY baseball game has done the crowd stuff like this?  I'm pretty sure all other baseball games have had pre-rendered cutscenes.  This is supposedly going to be like how Visual Concepts did the most recent NBA 2K games with a totally dynamic stadium atmosphere.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 13, 2009, 10:41:21 AM

Real-time Living World

Huh?  Isn't this the first time ANY baseball game has done the crowd stuff like this?  I'm pretty sure all other baseball games have had pre-rendered cutscenes.  This is supposedly going to be like how Visual Concepts did the most recent NBA 2K games with a totally dynamic stadium atmosphere.

I even think 2K had a game recently where the crowds would catch foul balls and homeruns.  It might have been on my PS2, but I distinctly remember watching these.  They were kinda lame, because there were like two or three preprogrammed cutscenes where the guy/gal would catch/drop the ball, but it was still some air of authenticity.

I actually think All Star Baseball or some other franchise did some crowd animations on HRs where most of the fans in the vacinity of the ball would reach in the direction of the ball to catch it.  That little nuance was actually kind of neat.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 13, 2009, 11:08:40 AM

Real-time Living World

I even think 2K had a game recently where the crowds would catch foul balls and homeruns.  It might have been on my PS2, but I distinctly remember watching these.  They were kinda lame, because there were like two or three preprogrammed cutscenes where the guy/gal would catch/drop the ball, but it was still some air of authenticity.

I actually think All Star Baseball or some other franchise did some crowd animations on HRs where most of the fans in the vacinity of the ball would reach in the direction of the ball to catch it.  That little nuance was actually kind of neat.

The last 2k game did that.  It was kind of cool the first time, but then it just looked terrible.  It was the same cutscene over and over, or you'd suddenly see the crappy-looking people in the crowd suddenly blob up together in one section where there was a foul ball.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 13, 2009, 11:10:01 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 13, 2009, 11:08:40 AM

Real-time Living World

The last 2k game did that.  It was kind of cool the first time, but then it just looked terrible.  It was the same cutscene over and over, or you'd suddenly see the crappy-looking people in the crowd suddenly blob up together in one section where there was a foul ball.

They didn't even have fingers.  It was weird.

I'm just nit-picking now, but one other thing that I really hate about the 2K baseball games are the gloves.  The gloves look terrible.

I swear, MLB The Show is enough for me to want to buy a PS3.

Timmy B

• Hank White Fan Club
    • moviemantim@hotmail.com
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »

That was a really nice touch in the Ken Griffey baseball game on the N64, way back when. If the game was a blowout, you'd see people (and by people, I mean dots) leaving the seats and heading for the exits. If you were playing a season and your team was really awful, the stadium would be nearly empty at home games.

Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 12, 2009, 09:57:46 AM
Quote from: Weebs on January 12, 2009, 09:40:48 AM
They had that with the old-gen games.  Somehow, the increase in technology has made that impossible to replicate.

Bullshit.

(Saving the state of the game at any point, then returning to it)

It's entirely possible that it's hard / impossible to do, nowadays. Depending on how much information would need to be contained within the save state (and depending on how bloated 2K's code is), it might not be feasible to do drop-out / drop-in gameplay.

And, yes, High Heat was the tits. Microsoft bought the rights and assets to the game when 3DO went belly-up several years ago, and it was working on a new baseball game based on that engine ... but then Microsoft Game Studios liquidated its sports division, because the games were getting clobbered, sales-wise, by EA and 2K. What could have been...

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 07:41:20 AM »
Quote from: Timmy B on January 18, 2009, 01:46:05 PM

That was a really nice touch in the Ken Griffey baseball game on the N64, way back when. If the game was a blowout, you'd see people (and by people, I mean dots) leaving the seats and heading for the exits. If you were playing a season and your team was really awful, the stadium would be nearly empty at home games.

They had that with the old-gen games.  Somehow, the increase in technology has made that impossible to replicate.

Bullshit.

It's entirely possible that it's hard / impossible to do, nowadays. Depending on how much information would need to be contained within the save state (and depending on how bloated 2K's code is), it might not be feasible to do drop-out / drop-in gameplay.

And, yes, High Heat was the tits. Microsoft bought the rights and assets to the game when 3DO went belly-up several years ago, and it was working on a new baseball game based on that engine ... but then Microsoft Game Studios liquidated its sports division, because the games were getting clobbered, sales-wise, by EA and 2K. What could have been...

But, 2K's baseball games always have the save whenever feature.  I was talking about EA's Madden and NCAA series not having the save whenever feature that makes me want to actually play them less.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 08:08:42 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 19, 2009, 07:41:20 AM

Bullshit.

But, 2K's baseball games always have the save whenever feature.  I was talking about EA's Madden and NCAA series not having the save whenever feature that makes me want to actually play them less.

The old-gen games (at least Madden) had that feature.  I know for sure Madden 06 had it.  I could see it being a whole lot easier to make a save state of a baseball game rather than a football game.  There's a lot less going on at any given time.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 08:45:31 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 19, 2009, 08:08:42 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 19, 2009, 07:41:20 AM

Bullshit.

The old-gen games (at least Madden) had that feature.  I know for sure Madden 06 had it.  I could see it being a whole lot easier to make a save state of a baseball game rather than a football game.  There's a lot less going on at any given time.

How is it any different in a football game, when it's 2nd and 7 with 10:55 left in the third quarter and the score is 17-10 than it is in a baseball game in the 6th inning of a 2-2 game with a 2-1 count on the batter?  I don't know much about code and whatnot, but this shouldn't be very hard.  If they could do it before, they should damn well be able to do it now.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 19, 2009, 08:45:31 AM
I don't know much about code and whatnot, but this shouldn't be very hard.  If they could do it before, they should damn well be able to do it now.

You'll be a lot less confused if you just ignore any comment that sounds authoritative from Weebs.  It's all straight crazy.