News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Jason Hammel Defenestration Thread  ( 3,314 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Jason Hammel Defenestration Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 14, 2015, 12:32:52 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 14, 2015, 11:45:59 AM
Quote from: Tonker on October 14, 2015, 11:07:47 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 14, 2015, 11:04:09 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 14, 2015, 10:57:29 AM
But really, what happened to him? Was he just extraordinarily lucky to start this year and it was all a mirage? I assume that they would have been able to pinpoint and fix a mechanical issue by this point, especially with all of the time off he's had. Maybe he truly isn't able to throw more than 100 or so good innings in a year before he wears down.

Like others have said, I'd almost feel better with Haren starting and giving them a decent 4-5 innings before handing it over to the bullpen.

I'm waiting for the season to end and the Cubs to reveal finally that he actually tore his hammy in July and has been playing with it ever since. Either way I hope they sign at least one reliable innings-eating Mike Leake type fellow along with whatever TOR starter they sign/trade for this offseason because I don't trust Hammel to even repeat this season's effort next year.

Can Theo and Billy Beans not come to some arrangement whereby the Cubs get Hammel for the first half of every season, after which the A's hand over a couple of top prospects to rent him for the second half?

According to this guy, that's not how things work:

https://twitter.com/chrisskreager/status/654035054843273216

What an incredible tweet. Eli is starting to reap the joy of bad and sincere replies.

No joke. I've learned recently that Twitter does not have an entrance exam and they'll let just anyone tweet. What a world.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 01:09:13 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 14, 2015, 12:41:26 PM
But really, what happened to him? Was he just extraordinarily lucky to start this year and it was all a mirage? I assume that they would have been able to pinpoint and fix a mechanical issue by this point, especially with all of the time off he's had. Maybe he truly isn't able to throw more than 100 or so good innings in a year before he wears down.

Like others have said, I'd almost feel better with Haren starting and giving them a decent 4-5 innings before handing it over to the bullpen.

I'm waiting for the season to end and the Cubs to reveal finally that he actually tore his hammy in July and has been playing with it ever since. Either way I hope they sign at least one reliable innings-eating Mike Leake type fellow along with whatever TOR starter they sign/trade for this offseason because I don't trust Hammel to even repeat this season's effort next year.

Can Theo and Billy Beans not come to some arrangement whereby the Cubs get Hammel for the first half of every season, after which the A's hand over a couple of top prospects to rent him for the second half?

What an incredible tweet. Eli is starting to reap the joy of bad and sincere replies.

No joke. I've learned recently that Twitter does not have an entrance exam and they'll let just anyone tweet. What a world.

Did you learn that in Regression Therapy?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 14, 2015, 01:09:13 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 14, 2015, 12:41:26 PM

Did you learn that in Regression Therapy?

That may have been a component.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 06:16:03 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 19, 2015, 12:06:50 PM
Quote from: PANK! on September 19, 2015, 11:53:12 AM
Quote from: Tonker on September 19, 2015, 11:47:59 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 19, 2015, 11:32:51 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on September 19, 2015, 11:09:27 AM
Quote from: flannj on September 19, 2015, 11:03:42 AM
Quote from: Tonker on September 19, 2015, 10:44:54 AM
I had a brief look back through this thread to check which of you flip-flopping motherfuckers was now choking down Starlin's dong having previously been thoroughly unkind about him.  I'm pleased to report back that, basically, we were all pulling for the guy and can all unashamedly enjoy his resurgence.

Except for Internet Chuck, of course, but even he was consistent about being a dick.

I love watching how the whole team seems to go out of their way to support each other. The way the dugout has reacted to Castro throughout all of this really shows how solid they are as teammates. I'm really happy for the kid.

Despite all the stupid bitching we do here is there really anyone on this team that is all that unlikable?
Maybe I'm just too caught up in all this but God what a fuckload of fun this ride is.

Just the starting pitchers whose last names begin with the letter "H." They are incredibly stressful to watch, especially in significant games against division rivals.

If there's anybody I'm not enamored with these days it's Hammel, not just for his poor performance which has essentially de-stabilized the rotation, but because said poor performance came on the heels of him being a bit of a red-ass for being pulled early in a couple of games.  All he's done since then is prove his manager correct.  If he wants to justify being an ass about his manager pulling him, then he should go out there and not suck like he has for the past 2 months.

So in HueyWorld, you should be okay with being pulled from your start; or at least, if not, you should at least be able to gaze into the future and be sure that your next half-dozen outings are going to be good ones?

No in HueyWorld if you're going to be a red-ass about being pulled (which is fine...I would rather a guy be pissed than all Matt Clement about it), then you ought to be prepared to back the shit out of being so demonstrative.  It's a disheartening fucking situation right now.

Mate, I'm not saying that Hammel's performances haven't been disheartening, and I'm not feeling particularly enamoured with him, either.  But let's not forget that for the first month or two of the season, Hammel was the de facto ace of the Cubs' rotation*.

*I can't be arsed to look this up.  He was fucking good, in any event.

Even when Hammel was annoying the hell out of me the last 3 months I qualified my vexation with, "Well he really picked up the slack in the 1st half, and was their best or second-best pitcher for over a month so let's not forget..."

In light of the fact that a) the Cubs ran away with the playoff spot, rendering Hammel's first-half contribution nearly negligible and b) he absolutely, with everything on the line, still shat the tub in the 1st inning last night--spectacularly so in fact--I have no problem completely witholding my support for this loser.  Considering what a delusional red-ass he is, he probably blames Maddon for putting him in his funk in the first place when Maddon pulled him early from a game in Milwaukee in late July--which is what prompted his first bout of righteous indignation, and also where you can pretty much pinpoint where this guy stopped contributing anything positive to this team.

Jason Hammel--the one unlikeable Cub on our favorite Cubs team ever. 

No way he's back next year, is he?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 07:24:41 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 22, 2015, 06:16:03 AM
I had a brief look back through this thread to check which of you flip-flopping motherfuckers was now choking down Starlin's dong having previously been thoroughly unkind about him.  I'm pleased to report back that, basically, we were all pulling for the guy and can all unashamedly enjoy his resurgence.

Except for Internet Chuck, of course, but even he was consistent about being a dick.

I love watching how the whole team seems to go out of their way to support each other. The way the dugout has reacted to Castro throughout all of this really shows how solid they are as teammates. I'm really happy for the kid.

Despite all the stupid bitching we do here is there really anyone on this team that is all that unlikable?
Maybe I'm just too caught up in all this but God what a fuckload of fun this ride is.

Just the starting pitchers whose last names begin with the letter "H." They are incredibly stressful to watch, especially in significant games against division rivals.

If there's anybody I'm not enamored with these days it's Hammel, not just for his poor performance which has essentially de-stabilized the rotation, but because said poor performance came on the heels of him being a bit of a red-ass for being pulled early in a couple of games.  All he's done since then is prove his manager correct.  If he wants to justify being an ass about his manager pulling him, then he should go out there and not suck like he has for the past 2 months.

So in HueyWorld, you should be okay with being pulled from your start; or at least, if not, you should at least be able to gaze into the future and be sure that your next half-dozen outings are going to be good ones?

No in HueyWorld if you're going to be a red-ass about being pulled (which is fine...I would rather a guy be pissed than all Matt Clement about it), then you ought to be prepared to back the shit out of being so demonstrative.  It's a disheartening fucking situation right now.

Mate, I'm not saying that Hammel's performances haven't been disheartening, and I'm not feeling particularly enamoured with him, either.  But let's not forget that for the first month or two of the season, Hammel was the de facto ace of the Cubs' rotation*.

*I can't be arsed to look this up.  He was fucking good, in any event.

Even when Hammel was annoying the hell out of me the last 3 months I qualified my vexation with, "Well he really picked up the slack in the 1st half, and was their best or second-best pitcher for over a month so let's not forget..."

In light of the fact that a) the Cubs ran away with the playoff spot, rendering Hammel's first-half contribution nearly negligible and b) he absolutely, with everything on the line, still shat the tub in the 1st inning last night--spectacularly so in fact--I have no problem completely witholding my support for this loser.  Considering what a delusional red-ass he is, he probably blames Maddon for putting him in his funk in the first place when Maddon pulled him early from a game in Milwaukee in late July--which is what prompted his first bout of righteous indignation, and also where you can pretty much pinpoint where this guy stopped contributing anything positive to this team.

Chris Coghlan feels he's earned the right to be considered one of the two unlikeable Cubs on this roster. In fact he's now going to blame his last month of non-production on you not including him in your list of unlikeable Cubs.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »

You think anybody else wants to pay him 9 mildo next year?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »
I had a brief look back through this thread to check which of you flip-flopping motherfuckers was now choking down Starlin's dong having previously been thoroughly unkind about him.  I'm pleased to report back that, basically, we were all pulling for the guy and can all unashamedly enjoy his resurgence.

If there's anybody I'm not enamored with these days it's Hammel, not just for his poor performance which has essentially de-stabilized the rotation, but because said poor performance came on the heels of him being a bit of a red-ass for being pulled early in a couple of games.  All he's done since then is prove his manager correct.  If he wants to justify being an ass about his manager pulling him, then he should go out there and not suck like he has for the past 2 months.

No in HueyWorld if you're going to be a red-ass about being pulled (which is fine...I would rather a guy be pissed than all Matt Clement about it), then you ought to be prepared to back the shit out of being so demonstrative.  It's a disheartening fucking situation right now.

Mate, I'm not saying that Hammel's performances haven't been disheartening, and I'm not feeling particularly enamoured with him, either.  But let's not forget that for the first month or two of the season, Hammel was the de facto ace of the Cubs' rotation*.

In light of the fact that a) the Cubs ran away with the playoff spot, rendering Hammel's first-half contribution nearly negligible and b) he absolutely, with everything on the line, still shat the tub in the 1st inning last night--spectacularly so in fact--I have no problem completely witholding my support for this loser.  Considering what a delusional red-ass he is, he probably blames Maddon for putting him in his funk in the first place when Maddon pulled him early from a game in Milwaukee in late July--which is what prompted his first bout of righteous indignation, and also where you can pretty much pinpoint where this guy stopped contributing anything positive to this team.

I'm as pissed at Hammel as anybody else but your leap in logic that he's blaming his poor performances all on Maddon is pretty fucking impressive, even for you.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 08:59:45 AM »
Not sure what they showed on TBS, but when Maddon came out to pull Hammel they showed the mound scene on the Jumbotron. It looked like Hammel hesitated for a couple of seconds before giving Maddon the ball, and he had his glove over his mouth at the time as well. I swear to god if this guy was pissing and moaning about being pulled after giving up rocket after rocket in a goddamn ELIMINATION game I want him gone at the very least, and preferably executed.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 09:01:29 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 22, 2015, 08:56:56 AM

I'm as pissed at Hammel as anybody else but your leap in logic that he's blaming his poor performances all on Maddon is pretty fucking impressive, even for you.

I said "probably"...perhaps I should've said "I wouldn't be surprised if..."

Perhaps it was a throwaway line but are you telling me that, considering his track record, it's beyond the realm of possibility?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 09:10:53 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 22, 2015, 09:01:29 AM
Quote from: CT III on October 22, 2015, 08:56:56 AM

I said "probably"...perhaps I should've said "I wouldn't be surprised if..."

Perhaps it was a throwaway line but are you telling me that, considering his track record, it's beyond the realm of possibility?

His track record of being annoyed one time after being pulled early in a game he was actually winning?

Look, he was garbage last night.  But there's nothing here that leads me to believe he's Ian Stewart.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »
The Cubs have to perform an exorcism to rid themselves of the demons that possessed them in the playoffs.  Hammel  should be demon number one to go.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 22, 2015, 01:11:19 PM
The Cubs have to perform an exorcism to rid themselves of the demons that possessed them in the playoffs.  Hammel  should be demon number one to go.

Do you think a plane ticket to St. Louis, a $500 gift card to Shannon's restaurant, a rental car and a suburban hotel would do the trick? I mean, I can start the Kickstarter.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!