News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  ( 46,276 )

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2010, 12:16:53 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 19, 2010, 12:13:28 PM
I've played three or four missions, and it's pretty awesome so far.  It definitely has that "Grand Theft Auto in the Wild West" feeling to it, but there are plenty of things that make it really unique.  I also like that there seem to be a few RPG elements, like how your horse can become more loyal, which then increases it's stamina.

Does your guy still control like a tank, a la GTAIV?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 19, 2010, 12:16:53 PM
I've played three or four missions, and it's pretty awesome so far.  It definitely has that "Grand Theft Auto in the Wild West" feeling to it, but there are plenty of things that make it really unique.  I also like that there seem to be a few RPG elements, like how your horse can become more loyal, which then increases it's stamina.

The controls really aren't much different when on-foot.  It's REALISTIC, but does make for some annoying moments.  I'd say the horseback controls might even be a bit worse than the driving from GTA IV.  Not that there's any way for a horse to turn on a dime, but the third mission of the game is a race that I died at several times in the exact same spot because my horse decided to jump off a cliff.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 19, 2010, 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 19, 2010, 12:16:53 PM

The controls really aren't much different when on-foot.  It's REALISTIC, but does make for some annoying moments.  I'd say the horseback controls might even be a bit worse than the driving from GTA IV.  Not that there's any way for a horse to turn on a dime, but the third mission of the game is a race that I died at several times in the exact same spot because my horse decided to jump off a cliff.

But you're still alive in real life?
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2010, 08:22:43 PM »
I've heard that Free Roam is worth the price of admission by itself.  Anyone take this game online yet?  I'm wanting to hear some multiplayer feedback before investing.
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2010, 12:19:12 PM »
The lack of conversation about this game is as confusing to me as a Kurt Evans post explaining why there isn't enough conversation about Community.  This game is awesome.  There's a dude in the hills EATING PEOPLE.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 24, 2010, 12:19:12 PM
The lack of conversation about this game is as confusing to me as a Kurt Evans post explaining why there isn't enough conversation about Community.  This game is awesome.  There's a dude in the hills EATING PEOPLE.

All I've done so far is head out with the marshal in Armadillo to round up a bunch of cattle rustlers and take a couple of bounties. Bought a new pad in Armadillo as well. I'm just starting out but hearing this news makes me eager to get out there.

Used any sweet weapons?

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2010, 12:28:45 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 24, 2010, 12:26:31 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 24, 2010, 12:19:12 PM

All I've done so far is head out with the marshal in Armadillo to round up a bunch of cattle rustlers and take a couple of bounties. Bought a new pad in Armadillo as well. I'm just starting out but hearing this news makes me eager to get out there.

Used any sweet weapons?

The only new weapons I've gotten are a Winchester repeater and a lasso.  Lassoing is pretty fun.  When you get a chance, hogtie some bastard.  I find it utterly depressing that this game takes place three years AFTER the Cubs won their last World Series.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »
I just crossed the border to Mexico.  For some reason, I needed an Irish guy to lead me across, despite the fact that I could have pretty much swam across the river and just continued on as if nothing happened.  Regardless, it's incredible.  So far I've killed that dude that eats people, been mauled to death by a giant cougar, and watched as a guy hogtied some woman in front of the Armadillo saloon.  Before I realized I was supposed to save her, he shot her in the back of the head.  It was fantastic.  My only complaint with the game is that with the Dead Aim and auto lock-on, the shooting is a bit too easy.  The weakest gun kills people in two shots, so even without using Dead Aim a lot, it's easy to take out large groups.  Otherwise, the game is unbelievable in pretty much every way.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 24, 2010, 02:25:42 PM
I just crossed the border to Mexico.  For some reason, I needed an Irish guy to lead me across, despite the fact that I could have pretty much swam across the river and just continued on as if nothing happened.  Regardless, it's incredible.  So far I've killed that dude that eats people, been mauled to death by a giant cougar, and watched as a guy hogtied some woman in front of the Armadillo saloon.  Before I realized I was supposed to save her, he shot her in the back of the head.  It was fantastic.  My only complaint with the game is that with the Dead Aim and auto lock-on, the shooting is a bit too easy.  The weakest gun kills people in two shots, so even without using Dead Aim a lot, it's easy to take out large groups.  Otherwise, the game is unbelievable in pretty much every way.

Yeah, Dead Aim makes aiming a lot easier, but it also creates some epic moments, and it makes it possible to kneecap a dude without killing him.  Is auto-aiming defaulted to "off"?  Because I haven't noticed it, and I don't think I changed any settings.  I saw some dude trying to get all rapey with a lady outside of a saloon, so I shot him in the dick.  That'll learn him.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2010, 03:03:43 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 24, 2010, 02:58:24 PM

Yeah, Dead Aim makes aiming a lot easier, but it also creates some epic moments, and it makes it possible to kneecap a dude without killing him.  Is auto-aiming defaulted to "off"?  Because I haven't noticed it, and I don't think I changed any settings.  I saw some dude trying to get all rapey with a lady outside of a saloon, so I shot him in the dick.  That'll learn him.

It's on by default.  It's the same as in GTA IV, where sort of "clicking" the left trigger snaps the aiming reticle to the closest target.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2010, 03:05:33 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 24, 2010, 03:03:43 PM

It's on by default.  It's the same as in GTA IV, where sort of "clicking" the left trigger snaps the aiming reticle to the closest target.

Hmm.  I'll have to check that.  I did a bird-shooting contest against some crazy old man and that "snap to" feature wasn't noticeable.  Maybe because birds aren't enemies.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2010, 03:08:44 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 24, 2010, 03:05:33 PM

Hmm.  I'll have to check that.  I did a bird-shooting contest against some crazy old man and that "snap to" feature wasn't noticeable.  Maybe because birds aren't enemies.

No, it applies to animals, too.  You have to be in the general vicinity with your cursor, let go of it and then pull down again.  It'll lock on to whatever is closest.  I usually use that to lock onto a guy and then shoot him in the leg.  I'm too nice and just bring these rapists and cannibals to jail.  Well except for the cannibal.  I let him get his last meal and then shot him between the eyes.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 24, 2010, 03:08:44 PM

No, it applies to animals, too.  You have to be in the general vicinity with your cursor, let go of it and then pull down again.  It'll lock on to whatever is closest.  I usually use that to lock onto a guy and then shoot him in the leg.  I'm too nice and just bring these rapists and cannibals to jail.  Well except for the cannibal.  I let him get his last meal and then shot him between the eyes.

You let him eat that guy?  You sick son of a bitch.  I captured him.  Incidentally, do you bring those dudes to jail, or just leave them to die?  I know some missions require you to take them to a certain area, but I don't know what to do with these guys sometimes.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 24, 2010, 03:16:45 PM
Quote from: Weebs on May 24, 2010, 03:08:44 PM

You let him eat that guy?  You sick son of a bitch.  I captured him.  Incidentally, do you bring those dudes to jail, or just leave them to die?  I know some missions require you to take them to a certain area, but I don't know what to do with these guys sometimes.

I think you only have to bring them back to a jail if it tells you to.  I know the bounty hunter missions are the ones you always have to.

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2010, 06:27:43 AM »
I'm tryin to trade Skate 3 for this with some shmucks on the craigs list. Yeah, I fuckin bought Skate 3.  What a waste.