News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: September 9th is circled on this Ogden's calendar...  ( 7,585 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
September 9th is circled on this Ogden's calendar...
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:49:59 AM »

First Beatles' Rock Band, now this.

Oh, hell yeah...best thing since the DVD-Audio of "Pet Sounds".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: September 9th is circled on this Ogden's calendar...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:52:45 AM »
I love the Beatles production to begin with, but it would be killer to hear these in real stereo, not "Band in one channel, vocals in the other" or similar such mid-60s silliness.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »
Quote from: Jon on April 08, 2009, 08:52:45 AM
I love the Beatles production to begin with, but it would be killer to hear these in real stereo, not "Band in one channel, vocals in the other" or similar such mid-60s silliness.

I almost feel like inviting Oleg over for a listening of "Abbey Road".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »
Quote from: Fork on April 08, 2009, 08:54:28 AM
Quote from: Jon on April 08, 2009, 08:52:45 AM

I almost feel like inviting Oleg over for a listening of "Abbey Road".

If he brings his magical gnome leaves, I'd invite him myself.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:20:07 AM »
Quote from: Fork on April 08, 2009, 08:49:59 AM

First Beatles' Rock Band, now this.

Oh, hell yeah...best thing since the DVD-Audio of "Pet Sounds".

BEATLETIME!
Hire Jim Essian!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
That thing in my pants?  It's a warm, tinggly feeling.  And not because you jerks are just using me to enhance your pleasure.  Wait, could that have sounded more ghey?

Seriously, this is going to be all sorts of awesome.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »
I prefer the beatles like this. I hate the "wall of sound" crap.

They sound better simplified in my opinion.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:58:20 PM »
Quote from: BH on April 08, 2009, 01:45:12 PM

Spector and the Beatles (Not really Wall of Sound, just heavy orchestration behind the Beatles) was almost as bad a match as Spector and the Ramones. However, he produces Lennon's two best albums (Plastic Ono Band and Imagine), and they sounded great, without Wall of Sound.

WOS can sound amazing...Bruce's "Born To Run" and the aforementioned "Pet Sounds", along with any of Spector's stuff on Philles.

TIME TO POST!

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 02:09:55 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 08, 2009, 01:58:20 PM

Spector and the Beatles (Not really Wall of Sound, just heavy orchestration behind the Beatles) was almost as bad a match as Spector and the Ramones. However, he produces Lennon's two best albums (Plastic Ono Band and Imagine), and they sounded great, without Wall of Sound.

WOS can sound amazing...Bruce's "Born To Run" and the aforementioned "Pet Sounds", along with any of Spector's stuff on Philles.

I thought I heard Spector was MIA for most of "Plastic Ono Band" and Lennon had to put an ad in the paper telling him to get his ass to the studio because nobody could find him.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 02:26:45 PM »
Quote from: butthead on April 08, 2009, 02:09:55 PM
Quote from: Fork on April 08, 2009, 01:58:20 PM

I thought I heard Spector was MIA for most of "Plastic Ono Band" and Lennon had to put an ad in the paper telling him to get his ass to the studio because nobody could find him.

He still did the final mastering, which was all he did on "Let It Be"...those tapes were recorded before "Abbey Road", and nobody (least of all George Martin) wanted to sift through them all.

Spector also did "All Things Must Pass", which might be the best Beatle Solo Album.
TIME TO POST!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 02:48:10 PM »

THIS.

Well, the part I understand at least, being not very musically inclined.
This seems like a ploy to sell more albums more than it sounds like a big improvement on the original product.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 08, 2009, 02:48:10 PM

THIS.

This seems like a ploy to sell more albums more than it sounds like a big improvement on the original product.

I think the "original" product is without all the horns and crap.. the guitars sounded like guitars, you could just hear the bass, the drums and the guitars..
and the vocals.. this is how i typically prefer music..

[start Rant]
I like listening to a record and thinking how live it sounds, no studio tricks, no overdubs or major edits..
old recordings are the best, they used tape to record albums.. it was hard to change the takes.
no pro-tools bs.. I like hearing mistakes bands make when they play, adds character.
My main issue with "new" rock or country is that it's too polished.. for example, they have voice tools now where TDubbs could sing and he'd sound just like John Mayer, even though everyone knows his voice sounds like Joey Lauren Adams in real life.

I've been in major recording studios watching big time bands record and literally a guitar player will play 10 sec of a song 50+ times, then they'll spend the next 6 hrs cutting seconds from one to the other to pick the perfect 10 sec to add to the song.. it's crazy.

Screw fall out boy and bands like that.
[end rant]

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 03:47:57 PM »
Quote from: BH on April 08, 2009, 03:17:59 PM
I've been in major recording studios watching big time bands record

Oh yeah, Hollywood? I bet you've never interviewed Crane Kenney.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »

THIS.

I think the "original" product is without all the horns and crap.. the guitars sounded like guitars, you could just hear the bass, the drums and the guitars..

[start Rant]
I like listening to a record and thinking how live it sounds, no studio tricks, no overdubs or major edits..
old recordings are the best, they used tape to record albums.. it was hard to change the takes.
no pro-tools bs.. I like hearing mistakes bands make when they play, adds character.
My main issue with "new" rock or country is that it's too polished.. for example, they have voice tools now where TDubbs could sing and he'd sound just like John Mayer, even though everyone knows his voice sounds like Joey Lauren Adams in real life.

I've been in major recording studios watching big time bands record and literally a guitar player will play 10 sec of a song 50+ times, then they'll spend the next 6 hrs cutting seconds from one to the other to pick the perfect 10 sec to add to the song.. it's crazy.

[end rant]

A great old-school producer, like Phil Spector, Norman Whitfield or Brian Wilson, could make great records that could never translate live. But there wasn't really much trickery they could do, the technology wasn't there.

But, yeah, there are a lot of people making a lot of money (Jennifer Lopez and Ashlee Simpson are the best example) who can't perform live, simply because they can't carry a tune in a bucket.
TIME TO POST!

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 08, 2009, 05:10:20 PM

THIS.

[start Rant]

[end rant]

A great old-school producer, like Phil Spector, Norman Whitfield or Brian Wilson, could make great records that could never translate live. But there wasn't really much trickery they could do, the technology wasn't there.

But, yeah, there are a lot of people making a lot of money (Jennifer Lopez and Ashlee Simpson are the best example) who can't perform live, simply because they can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Fork's right. There' a difference between cheating or hiding mistakes/lack of talent, and the creative use of the studio to make music that couldn't or doesn't need to be played live. But I get what you're saying BH.