News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: September 9th is circled on this Ogden's calendar...  ( 7,584 )

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: September 9th is circled on this Ogden's calendar...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 03:51:27 AM »
Spector may deserve angel wings for sifting through the Let It Be tapes, but he's right back down into hell for nearly destroying All Things Must Pass with that horrific production.

On its own, the album is a giant. The best solo Beatle album. But to overcome Spector's knob(s)? Legendary.

Yah mo B there!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 07:23:29 AM »
Quote from: KD on April 09, 2009, 03:51:27 AM
Spector may deserve angel wings for sifting through the Let It Be tapes, but he's right back down into hell for nearly destroying All Things Must Pass with that horrific production.

On its own, the album is a giant. The best solo Beatle album. But to overcome Spector's knob(s)? Legendary.

Guess it depends on taste. "Wah-Wah" is a chaotic mess, but I kind of dig it. And his bulding orchestration of "What Is Life" never ceases to amaze me, esp. the strings playing the guitar riff near the end.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 09:58:24 AM »
Quote from: butthead on April 08, 2009, 05:39:55 PM
Quote from: Fork on April 08, 2009, 05:10:20 PM
Quote from: BH on April 08, 2009, 03:17:59 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 08, 2009, 02:48:10 PM
Quote from: BH on April 08, 2009, 01:45:12 PM
I prefer the beatles like this. I hate the "wall of sound" crap.

They sound better simplified in my opinion.

THIS.

Well, the part I understand at least, being not very musically inclined.
This seems like a ploy to sell more albums more than it sounds like a big improvement on the original product.

I think the "original" product is without all the horns and crap.. the guitars sounded like guitars, you could just hear the bass, the drums and the guitars..
and the vocals.. this is how i typically prefer music..

[start Rant]
I like listening to a record and thinking how live it sounds, no studio tricks, no overdubs or major edits..
old recordings are the best, they used tape to record albums.. it was hard to change the takes.
no pro-tools bs.. I like hearing mistakes bands make when they play, adds character.
My main issue with "new" rock or country is that it's too polished.. for example, they have voice tools now where TDubbs could sing and he'd sound just like John Mayer, even though everyone knows his voice sounds like Joey Lauren Adams in real life.

I've been in major recording studios watching big time bands record and literally a guitar player will play 10 sec of a song 50+ times, then they'll spend the next 6 hrs cutting seconds from one to the other to pick the perfect 10 sec to add to the song.. it's crazy.

Screw fall out boy and bands like that.
[end rant]

A great old-school producer, like Phil Spector, Norman Whitfield or Brian Wilson, could make great records that could never translate live. But there wasn't really much trickery they could do, the technology wasn't there.

But, yeah, there are a lot of people making a lot of money (Jennifer Lopez and Ashlee Simpson are the best example) who can't perform live, simply because they can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Fork's right. There' a difference between cheating or hiding mistakes/lack of talent, and the creative use of the studio to make music that couldn't or doesn't need to be played live. But I get what you're saying BH.

May I present the great Nigel Godrich for consideration amongst the great producers of our time.  I think you'll all know with whom he has worked the most.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 10:27:35 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 09, 2009, 09:58:24 AM
May I present the great Nigel Godrich for consideration amongst the great producers of our time.  I think you'll all know with whom he has worked the most.

You referring to Big Country's 1993 album Buffalo Skinners or Natalie Imbruglia's Left of the Middle album?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »
Quote from: BH on April 09, 2009, 10:27:35 AM
Quote from: Oleg on April 09, 2009, 09:58:24 AM

You referring to Big Country's 1993 album Buffalo Skinners or Natalie Imbruglia's Left of the Middle album?

Yes.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
bump.

Still undecided between mono and stereo. Anyone hear either Beatles' remasters yet?

Why couldn't they simply remaster the ones that were mono as mono, the stereo ones as stereo, and leave it at that?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 10, 2009, 11:01:39 AM
bump.

Still undecided between mono and stereo. Anyone hear either Beatles' remasters yet?

Why couldn't they simply remaster the ones that were mono as mono, the stereo ones as stereo, and leave it at that?

Because completists have money, and it would be a sin not to take it from them.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 01:32:45 PM »

The way to go, it turns out, is to buy the mono box, and then just buy the stereo remasters of Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be - the only 3 Beatles' albums with original masters in stereo.

TIME TO POST!

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
http://whitewhine.tumblr.com/post/190998067/complaint-504

QuoteComplaint #504

OMG - Does Pitchfork have to review EVERY Beatles album re-issue separately?

-Whine by Nate
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 10:39:39 PM »

LFork got me the Mono set for Jebus' B-day.

Ho. Lee. Shit - this is the fucking goods.
TIME TO POST!