News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 120,714 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #795 on: June 09, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 09, 2016, 03:19:16 PM
They also signed Justin Morneau and then put him on the DL, hoping he can come back from years of his brain being turned into mush and hit well after they've dropped completely out of contention. This is their equivalent to the Phil Nevin trade.

People point to his decent numbers in very limited action last year but conveniently leave out his splits where he was great at Coors and horrendous away from it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #796 on: June 10, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
They're DFA'ing Rollins and calling up Anderson. I don't think Anderson will really help much (guys that strike out 7 times for every walk in AAA but also don't hit for any power (.105 ISO) always do well in the majors, right?) but I give Rick Hahn credit for trying to stem the tide since it doesn't seem like Jerry will loosen the purse strings.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #797 on: June 10, 2016, 09:25:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 10, 2016, 09:23:20 AM
They're DFA'ing Rollins and calling up Anderson. I don't think Anderson will really help much (guys that strike out 7 times for every walk in AAA but also don't hit for any power (.105 ISO) always do well in the majors, right?) but I give Rick Hahn credit for trying to stem the tide since it doesn't seem like Jerry will loosen the purse strings.

So, let's say Jerry "loosens the purse strings", what does that get them right now?

A 16th ranked payroll in 2016 for the 27th ranked team in attendance in 2015 doesn't sound like a cheap team

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #798 on: June 10, 2016, 09:28:07 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 10, 2016, 09:25:07 AM

So, let's say Jerry "loosens the purse strings", what does that get them right now?

Probably not much given their lack of prospects to deal, but possibly a guy like Braun since his contract seems to be scaring away most suitors. Either way Jerry shouldn't exactly get a pass for not spending money when Dexter Fowler and actual starting pitchers who aren't Mat Latos were available for modest prices the entire offseason.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #799 on: June 10, 2016, 09:35:28 AM »

A 16th ranked payroll in 2016 for the 27th ranked team in attendance in 2015 doesn't sound like a cheap team

If you don't think Jerry Reinsdorf could spend more money on their payroll, you're kidding yourself. The Sox were probably a .500 true talent team that had obvious holes at shortstop and center field and in the rotation with guys like Dexter Fowler, Ian Desmond, and mid tier pitchers like JA Happ or Rich Hill even available on the market, all available on deals that didn't go past their strict three year limit and all reasonably priced.

They went dumpster diving for Jimmy Rollins and Latos and Austin Jackson instead. The "low attendance" is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy when your team doesn't go out and get needed upgrades when they have publicly stated even they think they only have a three year window.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #800 on: June 10, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 10, 2016, 09:35:28 AM

If you don't think Jerry Reinsdorf could spend more money on their payroll, you're kidding yourself. The Sox were probably a .500 true talent team that had obvious holes at shortstop and center field and in the rotation with guys like Dexter Fowler, Ian Desmond, and mid tier pitchers like JA Happ or Rich Hill even available on the market, all available on deals that didn't go past their strict three year limit and all reasonably priced.

They went dumpster diving for Jimmy Rollins and Latos and Austin Jackson instead. The "low attendance" is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy when your team doesn't go out and get needed upgrades when they have publicly stated even they think they only have a three year window.

So much this, so much so that I'm copying this and will drop it on some of my idiot Sox friends, thanks!
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #801 on: June 10, 2016, 10:00:31 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 10, 2016, 09:52:43 AM

So much this, so much so that I'm copying this and will drop it on some of my idiot Sox friends, thanks!

To be fair I am mostly quoting the few smart, sensible Sox fans I do follow on twitter and their litany of gripes for why they hate Reinsdorf beyond the usual Chicago "just blame the owners" approach. There were very specific upgrades they could have made without breaking the bank, Jerry had clearly hit the maximum payroll he was willing to tolerate and wouldn't allow them to go past it. They spoonfed Bruce Levine a bunch of shit about how they were TOTES interested in Heyward/Gordon/Cespedes/Upton but they weren't looking to sign any deals longer than three years, which blew up in their face big time when Fowler and Cespedes both signed for 1 year deals elsewhere and it was painfully obvious they just weren't willing to pay anyone more than basically league minimum.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #802 on: June 10, 2016, 10:12:40 AM »

And there's another baseball team in the same market that is pretty good. It's hard to draw casual fans when the Cubs are everywhere all the time.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #803 on: June 10, 2016, 10:15:26 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 10, 2016, 10:12:40 AM

And there's another baseball team in the same market that is pretty good. It's hard to draw casual fans when the Cubs are everywhere all the time.

Right, you don't get to cry small market because you've intentionally made yourself the little sibling by not even trying to outbid the Cubs for Fowler, a guy you desperately needed that they basically signed as an afterthought. Your fans are right to tell you to fuck off.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #804 on: June 10, 2016, 04:04:24 PM »
Reinsdorf doesn't know whether he's in or out. He could have decided to move Abreu for some decent return in the offseason and have Hahn/Williams shop any player under 27, before waiting to hold someone up for Sale at the deadline. Instead he and Kenny convinced themselves that they could compete in that division and do it on the cheap. I hope Reinsdorf lives to 100 and takes every year like it might be his last one on earth while keeping Kenny Williams employed to spend money idiotically.

The Montreal Chaussettes Blanches will have a nice ring to it, circa 2031.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #805 on: June 10, 2016, 04:14:32 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 10, 2016, 04:04:24 PM
Reinsdorf doesn't know whether he's in or out. He could have decided to move Abreu for some decent return in the offseason and have Hahn/Williams shop any player under 27, before waiting to hold someone up for Sale at the deadline. Instead he and Kenny convinced themselves that they could compete in that division and do it on the cheap. I hope Reinsdorf lives to 100 and takes every year like it might be his last one on earth while keeping Kenny Williams employed to spend money idiotically.

The Montreal Chaussettes Blanches will have a nice ring to it, circa 2031.

He dies, they move. I mean is there really any other outcome?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #806 on: June 10, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 10, 2016, 10:15:26 AM

Right, you don't get to cry small market because you've intentionally made yourself the little sibling by not even trying to outbid the Cubs for Fowler, a guy you desperately needed that they basically signed as an afterthought. Your fans are right to tell you to fuck off.

Seriously, have the Sox been any real competition for the summer sports entertainment dollar at any time in the last 50 years other than when Bill Veeck owned the team?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #807 on: June 10, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 10, 2016, 04:41:23 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 10, 2016, 10:15:26 AM

Seriously, have the Sox been any real competition for the summer sports entertainment dollar at any time in the last 50 years other than when Bill Veeck owned the team?

I seem to remember a lot of empty seats in the Cell late in the 2005 season just before they cancelled the postseason.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #808 on: July 12, 2016, 07:36:29 PM »
lol
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #809 on: July 13, 2016, 01:43:31 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 12, 2016, 07:36:29 PM
lol

Never change, White Sox:

QuoteThe Bryant homer marred an otherwise good outing by Sale, though the White Sox apparently missed that key third pitch.

(The White Sox tweeted Sale's stat line minus the home run, but that tweet has since been deleted.)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?