News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 120,721 )

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #840 on: August 31, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on August 31, 2016, 10:56:39 AM
Quote from: Bort on August 31, 2016, 10:53:12 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 31, 2016, 10:43:56 AM
Quote from: Yeti on August 31, 2016, 10:40:33 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 31, 2016, 10:34:51 AM
Quote from: morpheus on August 31, 2016, 10:24:43 AM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/08/31/report-white-sox-placed-claim-on-yasiel-puig-but-werent-awarded-him/

To be honest any team that didn't put in a claim for Puig is dumb. All of that potential, at that price? The White Sox should probably make a serious effort to get him this offseason if they still aren't going to hit the rebuild button.

Yeah that's fair, I guess I meant "any team in bad enough shape that successfully claiming him on waivers is a realistic possibility. I wouldn't really want the Cubs to claim him since at this point he's basically Soler with an attitude problem, but any team trying to contend soon that doesn't have an abundance of talent should absolutely be trying to make him work.

Any team? meh. The White Sox? Yes, they would have been dumb not to claim him.

I was in Puig's corner in the beginning. Part of it was because he infuriated Cardinal fans. As time goes on, it sounds like he's an actual pain in the ass, so I don't blame certain teams that don't *need* his services for passing on him.

The paternity results are in and Fork...you are the father.

I totally was crafting the same/similar joke in my head when I saw that bungled ForkQuote.

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #841 on: September 28, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/09/28/mlb-managers-hot-seat-robin-ventura-chip-hale/91226072/
The Chicago White Sox have decided to retain manager Robin Ventura and will sign him to new contract providing Ventura wants to return, a high-ranking White Sox official told USA TODAY Sports

Outside of the constant losing, the terrible lineups with Jimmy Rollins batting second, the horrible bullpen management, and the multiple public shitfits the team's ace had regarding the lack of leadership in the organization, you have to admit he's done a bang up job
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #842 on: September 28, 2016, 01:35:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2016, 01:17:38 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/09/28/mlb-managers-hot-seat-robin-ventura-chip-hale/91226072/
The Chicago White Sox have decided to retain manager Robin Ventura and will sign him to new contract providing Ventura wants to return, a high-ranking White Sox official told USA TODAY Sports

Outside of the constant losing, the terrible lineups with Jimmy Rollins batting second, the horrible bullpen management, and the multiple public shitfits the team's ace had regarding the lack of leadership in the organization, you have to admit he's done a bang up job

Good luck with that, White Sox. I had my money on signing Alexei Ramirez as player-manager for life, but you can't win 'em all.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #843 on: September 28, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
Good god the Sox just possess nothing but contempt for their deplorable fanbase.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #844 on: September 28, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on September 28, 2016, 02:31:08 PM
Good god the Sox just possess nothing but contempt for their deplorable fanbase.

The only thing that would make this fall better would be Metheny signing a 10-year extension.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #845 on: September 28, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 28, 2016, 02:51:47 PM

The only thing that would make this fall better would be Metheny signing a 10-year extension.

Not quite 10 years...

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #846 on: September 28, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2016, 02:54:24 PM

Not quite 10 years...

Before we get too schadenfreude-ey on such things, I suppose we should bear in mind that Ned Yost won 2 straight pennants and a World Series, while Joe Maddon has not won any championships (yet).
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #847 on: September 28, 2016, 03:02:51 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on September 28, 2016, 02:57:18 PM
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2016, 02:54:24 PM

Not quite 10 years...

Before we get too schadenfreude-ey on such things, I suppose we should bear in mind that Ned Yost won 2 straight pennants and a World Series, while Joe Maddon has not won any championships (yet).

To be fair to Yost he aggressively deployed his best relievers in ways that Mike "Lost an NLCS Because He Used Michael Wacha in Relief Instead of Rosenthal Because You Can't Use Your Closer in a Tie Game On the Road" Matheny would never have dreamed. It probably wrecked Greg Holland and now maybe Wade Davis but it got them two pennants and a ring. I believe someone actually ran the numbers on all of his aggressive bunting in the 2014 playoffs and determined that they actually did add win expectancy for the most part. He seems to have learned quite a bit since his Milwaukee days, whereas Matheny remains as dumb as ever.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #848 on: November 15, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
Bumped in anticipation of the Sox getting rogered royally in a Sale trade.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #849 on: November 15, 2016, 12:52:21 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 15, 2016, 12:46:31 PM
Bumped in anticipation of the Sox getting Rogers'd royally in a Sale trade.

Since it'll probably be +4'd

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #850 on: November 15, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 15, 2016, 12:46:31 PM
Bumped in anticipation of the Sox getting rogered royally in a Sale trade.

You know I was all set on the whole "the White Sox need to rebuild" train, but then James Feagin The Athletic both wrote good articles about how, basically, Sale/Quintana/Rodon/Eaton/Abreu/Anderson is, while not quite as good as the Cubs, about as strong a core of 5-6 cost-controlled players you could hope to get out of any rebuilding effort. They aren't convinced the White Sox could trade them all away and eventually end up with more good players than what they have right now. The problem, and the difference between the Cubs and Sox as they see it, is that Cubs ownership will spend to supplement their core (Lester/Fowler/Zobrist/Lackey etc) and the Sox won't.

So basically they don't want a rebuild because the odds are the Sox will trade away six players that are worth about 20 WAR to them and eventually, maybe, in a best case scenario get a  similar core and then they won't spend to supplement those guys, and they'll still be stuck in 78-84 win purgatory all over again after a bunch of even worse years.

A good example of this is the Astros. They've tanked and stocked their prospect bins as much as possible and still have a hard time getting past 85-87 wins, and now they're talking about opening up the purse strings to put them over the top.

Long story short, the Sox need to stop being fucking cheap. This year they probably can't spend their way to a pennant, but last year they sure as hell could have. If the Sox had added guys like Fowler, Desmond, Napoli, and even Rich Hill they'd have hardly fucked themselves forever with ridiculous contracts, but they could easily have won that division and who knows what else with Sale/Quintana/Rodon in a short series. Instead they signed Austin Jackson, Jimmy Rollins, and Mat Latos.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #851 on: November 15, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 15, 2016, 12:57:52 PMbut then James Feagin The Athletic both wrote good articles

The whole both James Feagin The Athletic?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #852 on: November 15, 2016, 01:38:56 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 15, 2016, 01:27:45 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 15, 2016, 12:57:52 PMbut then James Feagin The Athletic both wrote good articles

The whole both James Feagin The Athletic?

I was originally gonna say James Feagin of the Athletic and one of the BP Southside dudes both wrote articles, but in remembering I think maybe Feagin basically just wrote the same article on both sites, or something, and then I tried to edit and pank'd everything. Burn it all down, boys.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #853 on: November 29, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »
The Sox had let it be known that they will not talk with the Cubs about Chris Sale.

Because it's always a good idea when holding an auction to lock the bidder with the deepest pockets out.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #854 on: November 29, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 29, 2016, 02:24:59 PM
The Sox had let it be known that they will not talk with the Cubs about Chris Sale.

Because it's always a good idea when holding an auction to lock the bidder with the deepest pockets out.

Yeah, but what if the White Sox end up helping the Cubs break the curse? Think of the fallout.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?