News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Sci-Fi  ( 10,194 )

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Sci-Fi
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 05:45:52 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 01, 2009, 04:47:45 PM
That's exactly how I feel about Anathem so far.  He's taking me on a very lengthy journey between interesting parts.  Snow Crash was much tighter.

Anathem, like the Baroque Trilogy got better towards the end.  I enjoyed both, but agree on the editor.  Crypnomicron could have used with about 100 less pages too.   Diamond Age (Sci Fi) and Zodiac (Eco-Fiction?) are tighter novels and I recommend them both. 

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »
Quote from: Pre on June 01, 2009, 05:45:52 PM
That's exactly how I feel about Anathem so far.  He's taking me on a very lengthy journey between interesting parts.  Snow Crash was much tighter.

Anathem, like the Baroque Trilogy got better towards the end.  I enjoyed both, but agree on the editor.  Crypnomicron could have used with about 100 less pages too.   Diamond Age (Sci Fi) and Zodiac (Eco-Fiction?) are tighter novels and I recommend them both. 
I can second the Zodiac recommendation.

But I didn't mind the bloat of the Baroque Cycle, so there's that.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 09:49:36 PM »
Quote from: Pre on June 01, 2009, 05:45:52 PM

Yeah, I was going to recommend them too. Skip the Tom Clancy-esque books he did with his relative. I consider it an accomplishment that I finished the first book of the Baroque series. I hate verbosity for the sake of verbosity. See Wallace, David Foster. *ducks*
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 12:35:29 PM »
Bumping this thread because I finally read Dune after having it on the book shelf for probably 15 years.

I gotta say, for a book that is supposed to be one of the all-time great Sci-Fi masterpieces, I was a little underwhelmed.

This might be some high-level nerd blasphemy, but I thought it was just "pretty good."

Definitely not an absolutely must-read.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 01:43:06 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 21, 2009, 12:35:29 PM
This might be some high-level nerd blasphemy, but I thought it was just "pretty good."

It's been a long time, but some subset of the novels (first 4?) are solid as a group.

I do think that Dune, like a lot of other older sci-fi, has aged poorly (although it better
than most).  Science fiction is still a genre where an author can have a couple of
interesting science concepts and bang out a book with flat characters and goofy plots
and win a Hugo or Nebula.  It's advanced some in the past 70 years, but on the whole
it's just full of a lot of tripe.  Against a background of garbage like Darwin's Radio, Dune
is an excellent book.

I think that's what makes someone like William Gibson or Ian M Banks stand out so much,
they can write what is legitimately a good book that happens to have a sci-fi theme.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »
Bumping this thread because I finally read Dune after having it on the book shelf for probably 15 years.

I gotta say, for a book that is supposed to be one of the all-time great Sci-Fi masterpieces, I was a little underwhelmed.

I read it last year for the first time, and I came in at "pretty good," too.  I really enjoyed the thought he put into the technology, and his sci-fi vocabulary was easy to understand and never became overwhelming.  I'm glad I read it, but I wasn't blown away, either.
Hire Jim Essian!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 02:54:07 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 21, 2009, 02:22:07 PM

I read it last year for the first time, and I came in at "pretty good," too.  I really enjoyed the thought he put into the technology, and his sci-fi vocabulary was easy to understand and never became overwhelming.  I'm glad I read it, but I wasn't blown away, either.

You two will forever be remembered as wives.

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
I really loved Dune and the rest of the series as a kid, but I re-read Dune a couple years ago and it's just not all that. Some great concepts, interesting characters, and a good plot, but Herbert doesn't have the writing chops to make it great.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Quote from: HST Redux on September 21, 2009, 04:13:13 PM
I really loved Dune and the rest of the series as a kid, but I re-read Dune a couple years ago and it's just not all that. Some great concepts, interesting characters, and a good plot, but Herbert doesn't have the writing chops to make it great.
It was pretty hollow.  Iraq-is is the desert area that has the only material in the universe to enable travel?  A bunch of terrorists live there who defeat the Empire that comes to ensure the material gets out?

Can someone explain this metaphor to me?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 21, 2009, 04:39:00 PM
Quote from: HST Redux on September 21, 2009, 04:13:13 PM
It was pretty hollow.  Iraq-is is the desert area that has the only material in the universe to enable travel?  A bunch of terrorists live there who defeat the Empire that comes to ensure the material gets out?

Can someone explain this metaphor to me?

Wrong thread, Weebs.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 02:58:46 PM »
Replay by Ken Grimwood. Great premise, pretty good book.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 18, 2009, 02:58:46 PM
Replay by Ken Grimwood. Great premise, pretty good book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_(novel)

QuoteKen Grimwood was working on a sequel to Replay when he died from a heart attack in 2003 at the age of 59.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 02:49:41 PM »
Two recommendations:

Spin, by Robert Charles Wilson.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon.

Great books, the both of them.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 03, 2010, 02:49:41 PM

I didn't really like Spin.  I mean, it wasn't bad, I just found it boring.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
Quote from: Pre on February 03, 2010, 03:17:08 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 03, 2010, 02:49:41 PM

I didn't really like Spin.  I mean, it wasn't bad, I just found it boring.

This is my new favorite half-insult qualifier.