News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 133,355 )

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #840 on: October 20, 2016, 01:23:40 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 20, 2016, 12:37:55 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 19, 2016, 11:15:27 PM
I'm waiting for the "Max Seizure uses a corked bat" conspiracy theories.

The sad thing is: I bet you really are waiting for that.

Only if it comes from the Trump campaign...
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #841 on: October 20, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 19, 2016, 10:03:10 PM
Quote from: CT III on October 19, 2016, 09:56:14 PM
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on October 19, 2016, 09:07:34 PM
It's been a while since numerous people were hitting the ball this hard, now save some runs for tomorrow.

No, continue to hit in this game and then hit and hit and hit and hit.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #842 on: October 25, 2016, 08:42:53 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on October 20, 2016, 12:23:49 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 19, 2016, 10:03:10 PM
Quote from: CT III on October 19, 2016, 09:56:14 PM
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on October 19, 2016, 09:07:34 PM
It's been a while since numerous people were hitting the ball this hard, now save some runs for tomorrow.

No, continue to hit in this game and then hit and hit and hit and hit.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #843 on: October 28, 2016, 08:25:24 PM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #844 on: October 28, 2016, 09:37:49 PM »
No seriously, score some damn runs.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #845 on: October 28, 2016, 09:58:46 PM »
Baez has really cooled off.
M'lady.

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #846 on: October 28, 2016, 10:28:34 PM »
This team seriously needs to find their balls. For the 3rd-best scoring offense they get fucking shut down WAY too often.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #847 on: October 29, 2016, 09:11:48 AM »
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on October 28, 2016, 10:28:34 PM
This team seriously needs to find their balls. For the 3rd-best scoring offense they get fucking shut down WAY too often.

They need to hit balls, not find them.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #848 on: October 29, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 29, 2016, 09:11:48 AM

They can start by swinging at actual strikes, not low and a foot outside. The Indians pitched to them the way I used to win Bases Loaded games against the NES.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #849 on: October 30, 2016, 09:20:07 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 29, 2016, 10:02:02 AM

They can start by swinging at actual strikes, not low and a foot outside. The Indians pitched to them the way I used to win Bases Loaded games against the NES.

I know it's kind of a loaded word, but they've choked. I'm not sure what to call it besides that, given how completely uncharacteristic their performance has been:

QuoteAccording to ESPN Stats & Information research, the Cubs chased pitches outside the strike zone a whopping 51 percent of the time in Game 4. That's seven points higher than Game 3, which was bad enough, but only some context can give true meaning to that Game 4 percentage. Chasing outside the zone 51 percent of the time Saturday was the second most of any team in any contest this year.

That includes every second-place to last-place team in baseball: 4,860 regular-season games -- plus all the playoff contests. Only the Arizona Diamondbacks, back in May, swung more percentage-wise outside the strike zone than the Cubs did on Saturday night -- and only by 1 percent.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #850 on: October 30, 2016, 10:05:01 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 30, 2016, 09:20:07 AM

I know it's kind of a loaded word, but they've choked. I'm not sure what to call it besides that, given how completely uncharacteristic their performance has been:

QuoteAccording to ESPN Stats & Information research, the Cubs chased pitches outside the strike zone a whopping 51 percent of the time in Game 4. That's seven points higher than Game 3, which was bad enough, but only some context can give true meaning to that Game 4 percentage. Chasing outside the zone 51 percent of the time Saturday was the second most of any team in any contest this year.

That includes every second-place to last-place team in baseball: 4,860 regular-season games -- plus all the playoff contests. Only the Arizona Diamondbacks, back in May, swung more percentage-wise outside the strike zone than the Cubs did on Saturday night -- and only by 1 percent.

The Indians don't walk anyone and pitch counts are irrelevant because Miller looms in the middle innings. Yet the Cubs go out there and often take hittable pitches to start ABs because they're trying to be patient. Then they offer at garbage bc they fall behind. Zobrist's AB v Kluber in the third is a good example. He took a fastball in the zone because the book on him is that he won't offer at the first pitch. Then he saw nothing but breaking stuff and struck out.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #851 on: October 30, 2016, 10:05:34 AM »

It's really frustrating that they haven't adapted their approach. It seems like two out of three batters get behind by taking a first pitch fastball for a strike. Then they get picked apart with off-speed stuff out of the zone when Cleveland has a few pitches to waste.

Working pitch counts is helpful in the regular season when spreading workloads out over the long run is a priority. But now it's the end of October and everyone gets 4 months off starting next week so nobody should really give a shit about pitch counts or days of rest (all things being equal).

In the very least, being aggressive early might keep Cleveland honest and force them to mix in off-speed earlier in counts.

Edit: FACED

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #852 on: October 30, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
Bauer pitching + no tomorrow had fucking better equal a barrel of runs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

The Big Cheese

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #853 on: October 30, 2016, 02:13:20 PM »
It will.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #854 on: October 30, 2016, 07:15:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2016, 10:05:01 AM

The Indians don't walk anyone and pitch counts are irrelevant because Miller looms in the middle innings. Yet the Cubs go out there and often take hittable pitches to start ABs because they're trying to be patient. Then they offer at garbage bc they fall behind. Zobrist's AB v Kluber in the third is a good example. He took a fastball in the zone because the book on him is that he won't offer at the first pitch. Then he saw nothing but breaking stuff and struck out.

I get what you're saying, but Zobrist is hitting.375 with a .974 OPS in the series. His approach seems to be largely successful.