News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Tonight Show  ( 16,001 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Tonight Show
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »
Anybody watch Conan's debut last night?  I thought the open, with him running across the country was funny (and the detour onto Wrigley Field with him being chased by security was a nice touch), and then I went to bed.

Although that's still the longest I've watched the Tonight Show in years.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Tonight Show
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:42:12 AM »
Needs more Andy.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
And less Will Farrel.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:12:39 AM »
Quote from: CT III on June 02, 2009, 08:36:44 AM
Anybody watch Conan's debut last night?  I thought the open, with him running across the country was funny (and the detour onto Wrigley Field with him being chased by security was a nice touch), and then I went to bed.

Although that's still the longest I've watched the Tonight Show in years.

The cold open was great.  His skit about doing the Universal tour was pretty funny, too.

Here's the video of the open:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/75460/the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-cold-open-of-the-first-show

I was never a big Leno fan, so Conan doesn't have to do much (in my mind) to be better.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:29:03 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 02, 2009, 09:12:39 AM
The cold open was great.  His skit about doing the Universal tour was pretty funny, too.

Here's the video of the open:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/75460/the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-cold-open-of-the-first-show

Nice.

I totally forgot about it and missed the first 5 minutes or so.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:32:41 AM »
I'm trying to record and watch this first week. I regret not having watched more Conan when he was on Late Night.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on June 02, 2009, 10:32:41 AM
I'm trying to record and watch this first week. I regret not having watched more Conan when he was on Late Night.

I like Conan very much.

Without trying to be a contrarian, I'm actually not anti-Leno at all, though he always seemed a little passionless.

But Conan usually has 1-2 legitimately funny moments every show, which is definitely an improvement over Leno (and Fallon still remains almost impossibly awful).

One question though - was Conan running south on Michigan Ave and then through Wrigley Field and then in St. Louis?
That seems like a pretty circuitous route.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2009, 11:15:33 AM

I like Conan very much.

Without trying to be a contrarian, I'm actually not anti-Leno at all, though he always seemed a little passionless.

But Conan usually has 1-2 legitimately funny moments every show, which is definitely an improvement over Leno (and Fallon still remains almost impossibly awful).

One question though - was Conan running south on Michigan Ave and then through Wrigley Field and then in St. Louis?

He went from Phoenix Arizona, all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, L.A.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 11:51:11 AM »

I like Conan very much.

I thought the skits were funny, but Conan seemed really nervous.  I can't imagine that will last long.  Also, Andy was laughing obnoxiously loudly.  And Will Ferrell fucking sucks.  His L.A. suggestions were painfully unfunny, and not even Conan could make Ferrell's entrance less than awkward.  I loved the Universal tour, though.  Particularly him screaming "WHY?!" at the top of his lungs and then buying them all $.99 store items.  Also, "It's way too hot for corduroy!"

I'm quoting you because I agree re: Leno.  I didn't watch him regularly, but I thought he did a decent job when I saw him.  He was certainly worse than both Letterman and Conan, but both of those guys are terrific.

Oh, and I actually thought Fallon would surprise us all and be halfway decent.  He's not.  He's absolutely terrible.  It's an hour of him doing his worst SNL shtick.
Hire Jim Essian!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 02, 2009, 11:51:11 AM

I'm quoting you because I agree re: Leno.  I didn't watch him regularly, but I thought he did a decent job when I saw him.  He was certainly worse than both Letterman and Conan, but both of those guys are terrific.

Oh, and I actually thought Fallon would surprise us all and be halfway decent.  He's not.  He's absolutely terrible.  It's an hour of him doing his worst SNL shtick.

Leno had to water down his act to appeal to his audience. Anything pre-"Tonight" that he did is far superior.

Unfortunately, he'll have to dilute even further for prime time.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 02, 2009, 11:51:11 AM

I like Conan very much.

I thought the skits were funny, but Conan seemed really nervous.  I can't imagine that will last long.  Also, Andy was laughing obnoxiously loudly.  And Will Ferrell fucking sucks.  His L.A. suggestions were painfully unfunny, and not even Conan could make Ferrell's entrance less than awkward.  I loved the Universal tour, though.  Particularly him screaming "WHY?!" at the top of his lungs and then buying them all $.99 store items.  Also, "It's way too hot for corduroy!"

I'll take THIS for $400 Alex.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 04:16:23 PM »
The only bad thing about Conan replacing Leno is that now he and Dave are on at the same time.

Dave got a couple of good jokes in last night.  The first was when he said his mother called him to let him know that, "I see you didn't get the Tonight Show again."  And when he told her that he had Bill Cosby on the show that she said, "Oh, good.  I might switch over from watching Conan."

He also had a reference to Conan in the Top Ten list, the number one surprising fact about Sonia Sotomayor as that she "Demonstrated impeccable judgement by watching Conan."

Of course Dave actually likes Conan.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 04:18:27 PM »
Quote from: Andy on June 02, 2009, 04:16:23 PM
The only bad thing about Conan replacing Leno is that now he and Dave are on at the same time.

Dave got a couple of good jokes in last night.  The first was when he said his mother called him to let him know that, "I see you didn't get the Tonight Show again."  And when he told her that he had Bill Cosby on the show that she said, "Oh, good.  I might switch over from watching Conan."

He also had a reference to Conan in the Top Ten list, the number one surprising fact about Sonia Sotomayor as that she "Demonstrated impeccable judgement by watching Conan."

Of course Dave actually likes Conan.

When Conan said "goodbye" on his last night on Late Night he saved his most effusive thanks/praise for Letterman.

"David Letterman invented this 'Late Night' show, and he is one of the most brilliant broadcasters of the last century and certainly this century and for all time. I have a terrific amount of respect for him and what he did. He set the bar absurdly high for everyone in my generation who does this," O'Brien said. "Living in his shadow has been a burden and an inspiration for me for years, and I think we need to acknowledge that it all started with David Letterman."
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 04:29:15 PM »
He ran south, away from the Tribune Tower and then ended up at Wrigley.  Maybe Conan saw Sam Zell and wanted to check the team before he makes an offer?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 02, 2009, 04:29:15 PM
He ran south, away from the Tribune Tower and then ended up at Wrigley.  Maybe Conan saw Sam Zell and wanted to check the team before he makes an offer?

I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)