News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twatheads Twittering  ( 213,561 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Twatheads Twittering
« Reply #1110 on: January 27, 2016, 12:56:44 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 13, 2016, 04:44:42 PM
This fucker again https://twitter.com/MATrueblood/status/687379837174939648

This really should go in "Totally Unreadable" but since it's on topic to the above.

Basically, Theo has done such a good job, that essentially anyone can take it from here and it would be impossible to screw up.

It's like this person has never followed the Cubs (or any sports) in his whole life.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1111 on: January 27, 2016, 01:30:11 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 27, 2016, 12:56:44 PM

This really should go in "Totally Unreadable" but since it's on topic to the above.

Basically, Theo has done such a good job, that essentially anyone can take it from here and it would be impossible to screw up.

It's like this person has never followed the Cubs (or any sports) in his whole life.

Yeah the last time the Cubs had a coherent farm system that was quite regularly churning out quality young prospects was the Dallas Green Era in the late 1980's.

It may not have matched the overall depth and quality of today's organizational talent but it was clearly one of the best in baseball during its time. The Cubs had the runner-up for the Rookie of the Year 3 straight years in '88 (Grace) '89 (Dwight Smith) and '90 (Mike Harkey) while having the winner in Jerome Walton finishing ahead of Smith in '89.  Additionally, they produced solid major league pitchers in Greg Maddux and Jamie Moyer (not to mention briefly-successful arms like Frank Castillo and Les Lancaster) as well as the following position players who either had varying degrees of major-league success and/or in excess of 2,000 plate appearances in the bigs: Shawon Dunston, Rafael Palmeiro, Damon Berryhill, Derrick May, Rick Wilkins, and Joe Girardi.  That was in only 6 years as the General Manager of a club that needed a complete overhaul when he arrived.

And it only took fewer then 4 years for Jim Frey to turn the whole damn thing into dust.

Someones need to handcuff this idiot to a radiator so as to keep him from typing any more idiotic nonsense.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1112 on: January 27, 2016, 01:33:06 PM »
I forgot to include Davey Martinez (1983 amateur draft) as another solid big-leaguer who enjoyed a pretty long career.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1113 on: January 27, 2016, 01:34:17 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 27, 2016, 01:30:11 PM

Yeah the last time the Cubs had a coherent farm system that was quite regularly churning out quality young prospects was the Dallas Green Era in the late 1980's.

It may not have matched the overall depth and quality of today's organizational talent but it was clearly one of the best in baseball during its time. The Cubs had the runner-up for the Rookie of the Year 3 straight years in '88 (Grace) '89 (Dwight Smith) and '90 (Mike Harkey) while having the winner in Jerome Walton finishing ahead of Smith in '89.  Additionally, they produced solid major league pitchers in Greg Maddux and Jamie Moyer (not to mention briefly-successful arms like Frank Castillo and Les Lancaster) as well as the following position players who either had varying degrees of major-league success and/or in excess of 2,000 plate appearances in the bigs: Shawon Dunston, Rafael Palmeiro, Damon Berryhill, Derrick May, Rick Wilkins, and Joe Girardi.  That was in only 6 years as the General Manager of a club that needed a complete overhaul when he arrived.

And it only took fewer then 4 years for Jim Frey to turn the whole damn thing into dust.

Someones need to handcuff this idiot to a radiator so as to keep him from typing any more idiotic nonsense.

If you really want to weep, read the comments.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1114 on: January 27, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 27, 2016, 01:34:17 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 27, 2016, 01:30:11 PM

If you really want to weep, read the comments.

I did, briefly.  They're fawning over the piece simply because the kid managed to be logical in his thought process.  Those people must have pretty low standards.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1115 on: January 27, 2016, 02:39:06 PM »
I agree with Pank that Greg Maddux was a solid big league pitcher.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1116 on: January 27, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 27, 2016, 02:39:06 PM

The contrarian idiot savant who works at BP is probably trying to craft the argument, as we speak, that Maddux wasn't even solid.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1117 on: January 27, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 27, 2016, 03:03:47 PM

The contrarian idiot savant who works at BP is probably trying to craft the argument, as we speak, that Maddux wasn't even solid.

The best way to let talent reach their full potential is to get rid of really talented people in front of them.
Hence, Maddux had to go so that Mike Morgan would have his moment in the sun.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1118 on: January 27, 2016, 03:23:25 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 27, 2016, 03:09:02 PM

The best way to let talent reach their full potential is to get rid of really talented people in front of them.

Fuck. Pen made me LOL.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1119 on: January 27, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 27, 2016, 03:23:25 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 27, 2016, 03:09:02 PM

Fuck. Pen made me LOL.

Might as well end it now. 

You've had a good run, Jon.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1120 on: January 27, 2016, 06:25:05 PM »

Do any of you business types know anything about this DARPA thing to which this bozo is referring?  I feel like he's somehow misrepresenting or not applying it correctly.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1121 on: January 27, 2016, 06:39:16 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 27, 2016, 06:25:05 PM

Do any of you business types know anything about this DARPA thing to which this bozo is referring?  I feel like he's somehow misrepresenting or not applying it correctly.

DARPA is a agency of the Defense Department (the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency) that sort of specializes in 'blue sky' projects.  Their predecessor, ARPA came up with the Arpanet, which became the Internet, which is kind of cool.  They are know for scientific contests and the like (autonomous cars was a recent one).

They are know for set projects to make leaps in technology in a small area.  To my knowledge It has basically nothing to do with running an organization for a long time successfully.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1122 on: January 27, 2016, 06:42:29 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 27, 2016, 03:30:13 PM

That's a damn lie and you know it.

Yeah, DARPA is essentially crazy R&D for the defense industry, which means they have a high budget and an expected high failure rate, but occasionally come up with super crazy shit. I once did clinical trial data management for a DARPA trial on magnetic helmets as an attempt to help pilots be able to fly for several days without rest. Not a fucking thing to do with running a major league ball club.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1123 on: January 27, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »

The corollary to that argument is that said savant is a better tactician than Maddux. The Professor? Please. Trueblood is the Dean.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1124 on: January 27, 2016, 07:39:22 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 27, 2016, 06:42:29 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 27, 2016, 03:30:13 PM

That's a damn lie and you know it.

Yeah, DARPA is essentially crazy R&D for the defense industry, which means they have a high budget and an expected high failure rate, but occasionally come up with super crazy shit. I once did clinical trial data management for a DARPA trial on magnetic helmets as an attempt to help pilots be able to fly for several days without rest. Not a fucking thing to do with running a major league ball club.

Yeah, the writers of the DARPA article worked there and then ended up in the ATAP group of Motorola Mobility which is now owned by Google. So something they seem to gloss over here is that the organizations they're talking about have virtually unlimited funds for R&D.

And his article makes some weird damn leaps:

"It's just that the Cubs have a chance to be more than a great team. They have a chance to change baseball for the better, in many ways. Opening up the organization to an entirely new perspective, perhaps even from someone in another field of endeavor altogether, could foment that possibility."

If Epstein leaves, my guess is that the Ricketts are not bringing in someone from "another field of endeavor" to run the team.  Also, no one uses that expression.