News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Splooge Sploogearama Sploogefest  ( 9,087 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Splooge Sploogearama Sploogefest
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 04:57:44 PM »
Quote from: Slak on July 17, 2009, 04:55:58 PM
Quote from: Indolent Reader on July 17, 2009, 03:41:35 PM
Yes.  I've asked for it before.  I will ask for it again.

I'm nothing if not consistent a dirty meth head.

No hard feelings'd?

IR is Jeremy Mayfield? Did you know that Yeti looks like Casey Mears?

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on July 17, 2009, 02:58:23 PM
A great quote (that I've heard in one form or another from hundreds of convicts):

"We shouldn't have been arrested," Dietzel said. "But that's just the way it goes."

Given what more "convicts" are in jail for than not, I think that the convicts have a pretty damn good point.  Police discretion is absurd and abused on a daily basis.

Being able to charge guys for being too drunk and stupid to provide cops with honest information--which the cops will get one way or another--is probably as excessive as things get.  Of course, cops lie every day to magistrates in warrant requests, in police reports alleging "probable cause" (e.g. whatever shit the cop decided to make up), and under oath at trial about their respect and adherence to constitutional standards in gathering evidence....and there are very few prosecutors or black robes in our judicial system that look to bust cops' balls rather than bending over backwards with a nod and a wink to their running roughshod over the constitution and individual rights/liberties.

But get really sloshed and lie to a cop with no real mens rea--you get charged for that.  Fuck the system, and fuck cops.

I'm with the drunk and retarded 21 year olds on this one...in good part because of my college experience in Pittsburgh.  You might have heard that I spent some time in that city.

Actually, no--my distrust of law enforcement comes from three years in Chicago and my criminal procedure classes.  Seriously, there are cops who are fucked enough to not rat on fellow officers that took live wires attached to a car battery and touched em to black dudes' nuts.  If it weren't for federal civil rights laws, the torturer that ran the show would've walked.  And it's like that everywhere when it comes to police misconduct.  There can be no good apples when none of the apples are willing to out the lemons to prosecutors.

For all the outrage over Guantanamo, the shit that has been--and continues to be--perpetrated by law enforcement in this city, is what should draw the ire, outrage, and protest of the anti-torture, pro-individual rights, fans of civil liberties (on the left and right).  And of our President, for that matter.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
Quote from: BH on July 17, 2009, 04:57:44 PM

No hard feelings'd?

According to one of the customers I encountered at Menards, yes:

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 17, 2009, 05:10:18 PM
A great quote (that I've heard in one form or another from hundreds of convicts):

"We shouldn't have been arrested," Dietzel said. "But that's just the way it goes."

Given what more "convicts" are in jail for than not, I think that the convicts have a pretty damn good point.  Police discretion is absurd and abused on a daily basis.

Being able to charge guys for being too drunk and stupid to provide cops with honest information--which the cops will get one way or another--is probably as excessive as things get.  Of course, cops lie every day to magistrates in warrant requests, in police reports alleging "probable cause" (e.g. whatever shit the cop decided to make up), and under oath at trial about their respect and adherence to constitutional standards in gathering evidence....and there are very few prosecutors or black robes in our judicial system that look to bust cops' balls rather than bending over backwards with a nod and a wink to their running roughshod over the constitution and individual rights/liberties.

But get really sloshed and lie to a cop with no real mens rea--you get charged for that.  Fuck the system, and fuck cops.

I'm with the drunk and retarded 21 year olds on this one...in good part because of my college experience in Pittsburgh.  You might have heard that I spent some time in that city.

Actually, no--my distrust of law enforcement comes from three years in Chicago and my criminal procedure classes.  Seriously, there are cops who are fucked enough to not rat on fellow officers that took live wires attached to a car battery and touched em to black dudes' nuts.  If it weren't for federal civil rights laws, the torturer that ran the show would've walked.  And it's like that everywhere when it comes to police misconduct.  There can be no good apples when none of the apples are willing to out the lemons to prosecutors.

For all the outrage over Guantanamo, the shit that has been--and continues to be--perpetrated by law enforcement in this city, is what should draw the ire, outrage, and protest of the anti-torture, pro-individual rights, fans of civil liberties (on the left and right).  And of our President, for that matter.

If this thread is to celebrate antisplooge, then I think you just won.

Because that sucked to read.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »

You're just trolling at this point, right?

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 06:31:26 PM »

Generalize enough lately?

I won't belabor the point about my family's predilection for choosing careers in the law enforcement field, or our (meaning you and me) shared vocation within the legal community, but by and large, I think stepping out onto the streets with relatively little protecting one from the scum of the earth (several of whom have made it their stated intention to do law enforcement harm), overrides alot of what you mentioned here.

Are there bad cops?  Of course.  But on the whole, they do a job that I guarantee you (and I) would never do.  I think for the shit that they receive, they should get the benefit of the doubt...most times.

And look, I can make a point with qualifiers on my generalities.

BTW, you are quickly making a MikeC post look better than yours...just saying.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »

I'm in law school and I haven't talked about that in 2 hours.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on July 17, 2009, 05:12:00 PM
Quote from: BH on July 17, 2009, 04:57:44 PM

No hard feelings'd?

According to one of the customers I encountered at Menards, yes:

I'm not dirty.

Reuschels_Jowls

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 01:48:06 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on July 17, 2009, 06:31:26 PM

Generalize enough lately?

I won't belabor the point about my family's predilection for choosing careers in the law enforcement field, or our (meaning you and me) shared vocation within the legal community, but by and large, I think stepping out onto the streets with relatively little protecting one from the scum of the earth (several of whom have made it their stated intention to do law enforcement harm), overrides alot of what you mentioned here.

Are there bad cops?  Of course.  But on the whole, they do a job that I guarantee you (and I) would never do.  I think for the shit that they receive, they should get the benefit of the doubt...most times.

And look, I can make a point with qualifiers on my generalities.

BTW, you are quickly making a MikeC post look better than yours...just saying.

Sorry, "doing a tough, shitty job" doesn't mean they have to stand up for their asshole co-workers who beat up a 110-pound female bartender, or who plant evidence on a suspect, or who torture a guy, or who drive drunk and cause fatal accidents. That's a consistently weak, bullshit rationalization that I've heard hundreds of times over the years (including on occasion, from my friends and family in the law enforcement community, and I've changed at least one mind there), and it doesn't get any better with age.

The dude's post above was way, way over the top, but his comment about apples and lemons was spot on. The problem isn't that there's "bad cops." The problem is that the good cops not only don't do anything to get rid of the "bad cops," they actually go to the mat to defend them and all manner of assorted criminal and thug behavior.

CPD has a serious credibility and trust problem with many, many *law-abiding* citizens in this city. They can remain in denial about that fact, and blame the citizenry (making it tougher to do their jobs, and tougher to actually put away the bad guys, since convictions are a lot harder to obtain when juries don't think law enforcement is on the up-and-up), or they can start doing something about it, and start ridding their ranks of the problems.

Yes, it's a hard job. But they knew that going in. "Obeying the law" isn't that difficult of a standard for them to be held to. If that's too onerous, find another line of work.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »
Bump.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »