News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,750 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on August 20, 2009, 01:13:01 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 20, 2009, 01:09:01 PM
Man, when you guys smell blood in the water, you're ruthless.

Kerm, I'll put up my blood-smelling abilities against yours, any day, in any body of water.

Smellfag.
Hire Jim Essian!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Jon on August 20, 2009, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on August 20, 2009, 01:10:49 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 20, 2009, 01:09:01 PM
Man, when you guys smell blood in the water, you're ruthless.

I like Dave B., even though his Theriot love is totally bizarre.

You better watch your ass, you Chicago NOW reject.

Who is this Bad Kermit, and why should I trust him?

He's a dirty statophile. 
M'lady.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on August 20, 2009, 01:00:12 PM
Quote from: Dave B on August 20, 2009, 12:50:56 PM
Chuck D, I'll put up my baseball experience/knowledge against yours, any day, anywhere.

And you will fail in an epic, hilarious fashion.

You might beat me in Strat-o-matic, but I've got to warn you: I was playing that game when you actually rolled dice and turned over the orange cards.

And it's funny: I only developed the so-called "Theriot Love" after listening to some numb-nuts focus their ire on him when there were/are far more candidates to bash upon. Prior to the 2008 season, I was fairly indifferent to him. But after reading some of that crazy shit, I took him on as my personal project.

"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Dave B on August 20, 2009, 02:21:43 PM
And it's funny: I only developed the so-called "Theriot Love" after listening to some numb-nuts focus their ire on him when there were/are far more candidates to bash upon. Prior to the 2008 season, I was fairly indifferent to him. But after reading some of that crazy shit, I took him on as my personal project.
Time to write off the sunk costs on that project.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 20, 2009, 02:28:15 PM
Oh god...I agree with Internet Chuck.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
I'm with Dave- Ryan Theriot is a pefectly fine major league second baseman.  I don't see where the argument is.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Ivy6 on August 20, 2009, 02:34:42 PM
I'm with Dave- Ryan Theriot is a pefectly fine major league second baseman.  I don't see where the argument is.

Dusty and Hendry didn't evaluate his use as a 2B properly. They went and signed DeRo and sent this whole shitstorm into motion.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Jon on August 20, 2009, 02:33:01 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 20, 2009, 02:28:15 PM
Oh god...I agree with Internet Chuck.
Hey, in the late summer of 2007, when he was showing flashes of being good and smart you figured he'd get better.  He hasn't.

NEXT!

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Stats don't lie. Take a look at 2007, 2008, and 2009 and show me where he hasn't gotten "better".

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Dave B on August 20, 2009, 02:57:38 PM
Stats don't lie. Take a look at 2007, 2008, and 2009 and show me where he hasn't gotten "better".

Just to name a couple that I can see, since I'm not nearly the STATFAG that these others are, his Ks have increased, his WPA has gone from -.61 (07), to -.23 (08), to -.55 (09).

Also his BaBIP is up to .341. It could be because his FB% is up, but I would have to assume that would negatively effect the BaBIP. His LD% isn't out of the norm of his career, so I'm just going to sum it up and say he's been a lucky hitter. I may be wrong though.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: IrishYeti on August 20, 2009, 03:21:46 PM

Just to name a couple that I can see, since I'm not nearly the STATFAG that these others are, his Ks have increased, his WPA has gone from -.61 (07), to -.23 (08), to -.55 (09).

Also his BaBIP is up to .341. It could be because his FB% is up, but I would have to assume that would negatively effect the BaBIP. His LD% isn't out of the norm of his career, so I'm just going to sum it up and say he's been a lucky hitter. I may be wrong though.

I don't even know you anymore.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club

Is baserunning a stat?

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
And his Bnmj8KHodf is down .231%. For fuck's sake, I'm sure you can pull up any number of these obscure stats to prove whatever point it is you want.

Bottom line: from the beginning, my point with Theriot is that he is a decent enough SS at 500K in this line-up that Cubs' management decided to put on the table. They've paid a shitload of money to the corner outfielders, corner infielders, and and starting rotation. You can't just go to the Shortstop Store and pull a Cal Ripken or Robin Yount off the shelf. And with all of the no-trade contracts and a shortage of bargaining chips at the minor league level, you just can't go out and trade for Hanley Ramirez.

Get on Geo Soto for coming back from his Rookie of the Year fat and stoned. Get on Fukudome and Bradley. Place the blame on injuries that have landed 3/5 of the rotation on the DL for at least 25 days apiece. Get on Soriano. Bitch about the Four Horsemen they've had to play at second base. And get all over the shitfest known as the bullpen. But as John Hart said on WGN Radio last night, Theriot and D-Lee have been the only consistent good things about this offense the whole season.  

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Dave B on August 20, 2009, 03:33:12 PM
Get on Geo Soto for coming back from his Rookie of the Year fat and stoned. Get on Fukudome and Bradley. Place the blame on injuries that have landed 3/5 of the rotation on the DL for at least 25 days apiece. Get on Soriano. Bitch about the Four Horsemen they've had to play at second base. And get all over the shitfest known as the bullpen. But as John Hart said on WGN Radio last night, Theriot and D-Lee have been the only consistent good things about this offense the whole season.  
Fine.  And Theriot hasn't gotten any better, either.

And he's due for a big raise next year.  So much for the $500k saving grace.

And who the fuck is John Hart?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on August 20, 2009, 03:27:45 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on August 20, 2009, 03:21:46 PM

I don't even know you anymore.

Just wait. I'm stealing this from Thrill from the VORP STATHEAD FAGGOTS thread: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/batters-and-babip/
                                  BABIP  xBABIP Diff
2008  Ryan Theriot         .335    .291    .044

Now from what I've read is that if there's a large difference, and .044 is considered large, that just further cements the notion that they're a lucky hitter. Kind of like what he notates about Milty:

Quote2008  Milton Bradley       .375    .334    .041
Perhaps Manny Ramirez and Milton Bradley will disappoint whoever signs them.

So Theriot has remained a lucky hitter for a couple years. According to this article, though, history suggests that will change soon enough. He'll probably be posting a .270/.330/.350/.680 line soon enough.