News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,624 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 10, 2009, 10:55:46 AM
Quote from: Fork on September 10, 2009, 10:54:14 AM
Quote from: BH on September 08, 2009, 01:48:49 PM
MEP destination possibility. Could burn it down after.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/reo/1360603126.html

Cheaper than Brixen Ivy was.

Better brownies, too.

Probably less sasquatch women around too.
I think I might actually buy the space for my new Joe Jackson museum.
Might be just a place to host the towels the kids threw in the pool.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2009, 10:14:56 PM »
QuoteAnd they're starting to enjoy the taste of champagne.

They give minor leaguers champagne?  Really?
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2009, 08:56:07 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 13, 2009, 10:14:56 PM

Probably not in PITTSBURGH!
Hire Jim Essian!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2009, 09:34:08 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 13, 2009, 10:14:56 PM

That's all the champagne left over from the cancelled 2007 and 2008 MLB playoffs.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2009, 10:51:56 AM »
Sources have informed Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune that the Cubs plan to shop Carlos Zambrano this offseason.
And Big Z seems comfortable with the idea of moving on to another club. "Maybe if I go to a different city next year," he said Monday, "if I get traded, I can do what I want." More than $50 million remains on his current contract and Cubs general manager Jim Hendry is sure to demand a large package of prospects in return, so a deal seems unlikely. Zambrano, 28, is 8-6 this season with a 3.77 ERA and 1.41 WHIP in 24 starts. Sep. 15 - 11:06 am et
Source: Chicago Tribune

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
Quote from: BH on September 15, 2009, 10:51:56 AM
Sources have informed Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune that the Cubs plan to shop Carlos Zambrano this offseason.
And Big Z seems comfortable with the idea of moving on to another club. "Maybe if I go to a different city next year," he said Monday, "if I get traded, I can do what I want." More than $50 million remains on his current contract and Cubs general manager Jim Hendry is sure to demand a large package of prospects in return, so a deal seems unlikely. Zambrano, 28, is 8-6 this season with a 3.77 ERA and 1.41 WHIP in 24 starts. Sep. 15 - 11:06 am et
Source: Chicago Tribune

Steve Stone says there will be a ton of interest and Carlos hasn't ruled out the White Sox. The White Sox apparently have a ton of young talent to give up.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »
I'd be stunned if they actually traded him.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:29 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 15, 2009, 11:08:26 AM

Typically the Cubs like to crush a player's value via the media before trading them. I'm sure stories about Z being a bad teammate, clubhouse CANCER, lazy, no good asshole will be leaked soon. Then we'll trade him for Jeremy Reed, Lance Broadway and Luis Castillo. And pick up 80% of Z's contract.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »
I'll be pissed, but not surprised.  The sale is going to result in massive debt payments.  They need to free up cash flow.  While Z is the most valuable of their high priced guys, he's also the most tradeable.  Trading Z saves $18 million per year.  They couldn't save $18 million next year by unloading all three of Soriano, Fukudome and Bradley.

Quote from: BH on September 15, 2009, 11:12:29 AM
Typically the Cubs like to crush a player's value via the media before trading them. I'm sure stories about Z being a bad teammate, clubhouse CANCER, lazy, no good asshole will be leaked soon. Then we'll trade him for Jeremy Reed, Lance Broadway and Luis Castillo. And pick up 80% of Z's contract.

You mean like this? http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-10-cubs-pirates-chicago-sep10,0,7823245.story

QuoteBut it was the inning that Zambrano didn't work -- the seventh -- that got the Lou and Big Z act into high gear.

They appeared to get into a war of words in the dugout after Piniella decided to lift Zambrano. Piniella said Zambrano tried to talk him into letting him go one more inning, to no avail.

"I told him, 'Let's just build and get you stronger and stronger,' " Piniella said.

Zambrano didn't agree with the decision, so Piniella threw up his hands.

"I told him, 'Next time if you want, I won't warm anybody up and I'll let you pitch nine innings.' I don't think he liked that one," Piniella said.

Zambrano pretended that nothing had happened when he began talking to reporters after the game.

"I wanted to pitch another inning, but it's Lou's decision," he said. "Nothing I can do about it."

But didn't he try to get Piniella to give him another inning?

"I'll bet you asked him the same question, because you saw the replay and everyone thought we were arguing, but we weren't," Zambrano said. "We were just talking normally. But it seems like every time Lou talks, it seems like he's mad -- the way he moves his hands. Everybody thinks he's mad, but he's not.

So what did Piniella say to him?

"He told me 'Don't get angry' in Spanish," Zambrano said. "I said 'I'm not angry. I just want to pitch one more inning. He told me next time I will pitch a complete game and he will let me pitch 200 pitches, no matter what."

Zambrano then laughed.

"Two hundred pitches is tough to do," he said. "But it was kind of funny, the way he told me."

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2009, 11:53:22 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 15, 2009, 11:16:47 AM
I'll be pissed, but not surprised.  The sale is going to result in massive debt payments.  They need to free up cash flow.  While Z is the most valuable of their high priced guys, he's also the most tradeable.  Trading Z saves $18 million per year.  They couldn't save $18 million next year by unloading all three of Soriano, Fukudome and Bradley.

You mean like this? http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-10-cubs-pirates-chicago-sep10,0,7823245.story

QuoteBut it was the inning that Zambrano didn't work -- the seventh -- that got the Lou and Big Z act into high gear.

They appeared to get into a war of words in the dugout after Piniella decided to lift Zambrano. Piniella said Zambrano tried to talk him into letting him go one more inning, to no avail.

"I told him, 'Let's just build and get you stronger and stronger,' " Piniella said.

"I told him, 'Next time if you want, I won't warm anybody up and I'll let you pitch nine innings.' I don't think he liked that one," Piniella said.

Zambrano pretended that nothing had happened when he began talking to reporters after the game.

"I wanted to pitch another inning, but it's Lou's decision," he said. "Nothing I can do about it."

"I'll bet you asked him the same question, because you saw the replay and everyone thought we were arguing, but we weren't," Zambrano said. "We were just talking normally. But it seems like every time Lou talks, it seems like he's mad -- the way he moves his hands. Everybody thinks he's mad, but he's not.

"He told me 'Don't get angry' in Spanish," Zambrano said. "I said 'I'm not angry. I just want to pitch one more inning. He told me next time I will pitch a complete game and he will let me pitch 200 pitches, no matter what."

Zambrano then laughed.

"Two hundred pitches is tough to do," he said. "But it was kind of funny, the way he told me."

Nothing crushes a player's value like a story that says that he wants to pitch more.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »

You spelled Carlos Beltran wrong.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 15, 2009, 11:53:22 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 15, 2009, 11:16:47 AM

Zambrano then laughed.

Nothing crushes a player's value like a story that says that he wants to pitch more.

DUH! It shows he's lazy!

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »
The schedule's out:

Highlights:

Opener 4/5 @ ATL. Home opener 4/12 vs. the Brewers

Possibly brutal stetch in May: Cubs close an 8-game homestand with a M-T series with Colorado, then fly to Philly for 2, then fly to Texas for 3, get Memorial Day off, then host Dodgers and Cards for 3 each.

Host Sox 6/11-6/13. That's the opener of a 9-game homestand (Oakland comes in mid-week, followed by the Los Angeles California Angels of Anaheim) that comes after 3 games @ MIL.

Cubs go to Seattle for 3 after the homestand, then go to Comiskey.

West Coast trip (3 @ AZ, 4 @ Dodgers) precedes ASB (in Anaheim).

After break, 10 game homestand (Philly, Houston, Cards)

Final week of the season features a 4 gamer in San Diego, followed by 3 @ Houston.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 15, 2009, 12:28:30 PM
The schedule's out:

Highlights:

Opener 4/5 @ ATL. Home opener 4/12 vs. the Brewers

Possibly brutal stetch in May: Cubs close an 8-game homestand with a M-T series with Colorado, then fly to Philly for 2, then fly to Texas for 3, get Memorial Day off, then host Dodgers and Cards for 3 each.

Host Sox 6/11-6/13. That's the opener of a 9-game homestand (Oakland comes in mid-week, followed by the Los Angeles California Angels of Anaheim) that comes after 3 games @ MIL.

Cubs go to Seattle for 3 after the homestand, then go to Comiskey.

West Coast trip (3 @ AZ, 4 @ Dodgers) precedes ASB (in Anaheim).

After break, 10 game homestand (Philly, Houston, Cards)

Final week of the season features a 4 gamer in San Diego, followed by 3 @ Houston.

They also don't play in St. Louis until August, and only play them once before the All-Star break.  Could make for some good baseball in August and September, assuming they haven't fallen 15 games out by then.