News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,715 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #255 on: September 30, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »
Update on Weeb's Hendry target. Why didn't they consider this 4 months ago?

"Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News reports that Jose Reyes may require surgery on his injured right hamstring.
This news comes after Reyes felt discomfort trying to run on Tuesday. He was expected to be reexamined Wednesday afternoon, so there should be more word forthcoming on his status soon. Either way, it looks like just about an absolute certainty that we won't be seeing him back on the field for the Mets until next season. Sep. 30 - 2:49 pm et
Source: New York Daily News "

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »
Well done, morans. But you should really think twice about visiting that cesspool of stupid, lest you go batshit insane.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2009, 10:21:06 AM »
Crazy Rumor Guy.

"Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune and Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times discuss the Cubs' offseason plans in new articles today.

* Both writers agree that unloading right fielder Milton Bradley (owed $21MM) is at the top of GM Jim Hendry's to-do list.  Wittenmyer's sources suggest the Cubs might be able to move Bradley without eating 80% of his contract.  Sullivan believes the Cubs could kill two birds with one stone by trading Bradley for their desired "RBI guy," one who carries an equally poor contract.  Magglio Ordonez and Jose Guillen come to mind for me.  However, the Tigers would have no motivation to make the swap and the Royals are not interested (it's a poor match on money and handedness anyway).
    * Sullivan says lefty reliever John Grabow wants a three-year deal, and the Cubs "are likely to give it to him."  That'd be overpaying, based on last year's market for lefty relievers.
    * Sullivan believes Jake Fox and Mike Fontenot are trade candidates.  Fox might be a good fit with an American League club.
    * Will the Cubs opt for a cheap backup outfielder in Sam Fuld, or will they re-sign Reed Johnson?
    * Neither writer expects the Cubs to trade Carlos Zambrano."

I can't wait to see what kind of haul we get back for Fontenot.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »
Quote from: BH on October 06, 2009, 10:21:06 AM
Crazy Rumor Guy.

"Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune and Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times discuss the Cubs' offseason plans in new articles today.

* Both writers agree that unloading right fielder Milton Bradley (owed $21MM) is at the top of GM Jim Hendry's to-do list.  Wittenmyer's sources suggest the Cubs might be able to move Bradley without eating 80% of his contract.  Sullivan believes the Cubs could kill two birds with one stone by trading Bradley for their desired "RBI guy," one who carries an equally poor contract.  Magglio Ordonez and Jose Guillen come to mind for me.  However, the Tigers would have no motivation to make the swap and the Royals are not interested (it's a poor match on money and handedness anyway).
    * Sullivan says lefty reliever John Grabow wants a three-year deal, and the Cubs "are likely to give it to him."  That'd be overpaying, based on last year's market for lefty relievers.
    * Sullivan believes Jake Fox and Mike Fontenot are trade candidates.  Fox might be a good fit with an American League club.
    * Will the Cubs opt for a cheap backup outfielder in Sam Fuld, or will they re-sign Reed Johnson?

The jockey casually mentioned that Grabow has bone chips in his elbow that the Cubs are likely to ignore when they hand him a 3-year deal. Yay?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2009, 10:25:08 AM »

Fontenot back to the Orioles for Pie.

Maybe the O's throw in Roberts to sweeten the pot.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Quote from: Mickey Nine: The Dream Weaver on October 06, 2009, 10:24:25 AM
The jockey casually mentioned that Grabow has bone chips in his elbow that the Cubs are likely to ignore when they hand him a 3-year deal. Yay?

You can't ignore the success Hendry has had in signing aging middle relievers to long contracts.  I trust him completely.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: October 06, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2009, 10:27:00 AM

You can't ignore the success Hendry has had in signing aging middle relievers to long contracts.  I trust him completely.

Larry's towels weren't happy with their lack of use last year.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: October 06, 2009, 10:41:30 AM »
Quote from: BH on October 06, 2009, 10:28:49 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2009, 10:27:00 AM

Larry's towels weren't happy with their lack of use last year.

Why not?  The towel drill is done all the time by healthy pitchers, too.

Take that, attempted BH joke.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »

No worries.  Hendry never overpays or over commits to the length of contract.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: October 06, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
Crazy Rumor Guy.

* Both writers agree that unloading right fielder Milton Bradley (owed $21MM) is at the top of GM Jim Hendry's to-do list.  Wittenmyer's sources suggest the Cubs might be able to move Bradley without eating 80% of his contract.  Sullivan believes the Cubs could kill two birds with one stone by trading Bradley for their desired "RBI guy," one who carries an equally poor contract.  Magglio Ordonez and Jose Guillen come to mind for me.  However, the Tigers would have no motivation to make the swap and the Royals are not interested (it's a poor match on money and handedness anyway).
   * Sullivan says lefty reliever John Grabow wants a three-year deal, and the Cubs "are likely to give it to him."  That'd be overpaying, based on last year's market for lefty relievers.
   * Sullivan believes Jake Fox and Mike Fontenot are trade candidates.  Fox might be a good fit with an American League club.

This is basically why I say "Fuck these fucking gutless fucking assholes."  I don't understand three years for Grabow and trading Jake Fox.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: October 06, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 06, 2009, 10:43:13 AM
This is basically why I say "Fuck these fucking gutless fucking assholes."  I don't understand three years for Grabow and trading Jake Fox.

You don't understand why they'd trade Jake Fox?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: October 06, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2009, 10:56:28 AM

He also doesn't understand why come them lights in the sky are movin' sometimes. Maw says it could be a flyin' machine but I just ain't never heard of none of that.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: October 06, 2009, 11:09:55 AM »
This is basically why I say "Fuck these fucking gutless fucking assholes."  I don't understand three years for Grabow and trading Jake Fox.

I'm assuming Hendry feels he needs a RF in return of any Milton Bradley trade.  Couldn't the Cubs take on a contract at another position and play Fox in RF?  Just spitballin'.  Or, maybe the Cubs should move to the American League.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: October 06, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 06, 2009, 11:09:55 AM
I'm assuming Hendry feels he needs a RF in return of any Milton Bradley trade.  Couldn't the Cubs take on a contract at another position and play Fox in RF?  Just spitballin'.
Possibly.  But Fox ion right would make Keith Moreland's time there look like he had a hall of fame glove.

Fox is cheap, not young and sucks at the non-hitting part of baseball.  He screams small market DH.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: October 06, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 06, 2009, 11:09:55 AM

I'm assuming Hendry feels he needs a RF in return of any Milton Bradley trade.  Couldn't the Cubs take on a contract at another position and play Fox in RF?  Just spitballin'.

This is why IAN roots for the Cardinals. They'd keep Fox and play him every day.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015