News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,871 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2009, 01:43:39 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 06, 2009, 12:29:58 PM
Quote from: CT III on October 06, 2009, 12:26:32 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2009, 11:59:58 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 06, 2009, 11:44:12 AM
That's sort of what I'm saying, too.  I know he's a liability in the field, but he can hit okay.  Hendry will trade him to Kansas City for what?  Tug Hulett?  Alberto Callaspo?  Or, to the Twins for Nick Punto?  Why?  Is it really necessary?

It's not necessary to trade him for the sake of trading him, but if the Cubs can get a more useful player, then they should.  Of course, I don't know if there's a market for Fox after he spent the last four months of the year whiffing at every breaking ball thrown his way.

Mike Fontenot spent his entire career doing that, and there was a market for him as a starting 2nd baseman.  Granted it was a one team market, but really, that's all you need.

The "Jake Fox in RF movement" is almost as awesome as the "Andres Blanco should be the starting SS" movement.

You're still clinging to that extra .068 points of OPS that Theriot gives you over Blanco with FAR worse defense, huh?  I'd obviously rather have someone better than Blanco, but I'd much rather have Blanco than Theriot.
Hire Jim Essian!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: October 06, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 06, 2009, 01:43:39 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 06, 2009, 12:29:58 PM
Quote from: CT III on October 06, 2009, 12:26:32 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2009, 11:59:58 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 06, 2009, 11:44:12 AM
That's sort of what I'm saying, too.  I know he's a liability in the field, but he can hit okay.  Hendry will trade him to Kansas City for what?  Tug Hulett?  Alberto Callaspo?  Or, to the Twins for Nick Punto?  Why?  Is it really necessary?

It's not necessary to trade him for the sake of trading him, but if the Cubs can get a more useful player, then they should.  Of course, I don't know if there's a market for Fox after he spent the last four months of the year whiffing at every breaking ball thrown his way.

Mike Fontenot spent his entire career doing that, and there was a market for him as a starting 2nd baseman.  Granted it was a one team market, but really, that's all you need.

The "Jake Fox in RF movement" is almost as awesome as the "Andres Blanco should be the starting SS" movement.

You're still clinging to that extra .068 points of OPS that Theriot gives you over Blanco with FAR worse defense, huh?  I'd obviously rather have someone better than Blanco, but I'd much rather have Blanco than Theriot.

I wasn't clinging to anything, just that I'd prefer neither Blanco nor Jake Fox starting for a team I root for.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: October 06, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »

Even as the self-declared leader of the "Dave B, you're crazy, Ryan Theriot sucks" bandwagon, I can't support this.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2009, 01:49:43 PM

Even as the self-declared leader of the "Dave B, you're crazy, Ryan Theriot sucks" bandwagon, I can't support this.

Ryan Theriot sucks as a starting shortstop, but would make an above average second baseman.  Is it really his fault that the Cubs are so hell bent on keeping him at short stop?

It is his fault that he continues to try to steal bases even though he's got to be the worse person I've ever seen try to steal a base, and I've seen video of me trying to do it.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: October 06, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
You're still clinging to that extra .068 points of OPS that Theriot gives you over Blanco with FAR worse defense, huh?

The thing is, Theriot is a significantly better hitter than Blanco.  I don't know why we keep
talking OPS around here lately.  Theriot has a career .356 OBP.  Blanco has a career mark of
.295.  We're not talking about a few points of OBP from a few doubles turning into HRs or
something.  And it's not like Blanco got on base in the minors at some point either.

I also don't think Blanco plays far better defense than Theriot.  I mean, he makes the flashy
plays, but he makes more errors.  Most every defensive stat actually grades Theriot as one
of the better SS's in the NL
.  Mostly because he doesn't have a lot of errors.  I'm not saying
that Theriot is an awesome SS that couldn't be shifted to 2B, but I don't think that Blanco is
really that big of a defensive upgrade.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: October 06, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
Quote from: Pre on October 06, 2009, 02:45:42 PM
You're still clinging to that extra .068 points of OPS that Theriot gives you over Blanco with FAR worse defense, huh?

The thing is, Theriot is a significantly better hitter than Blanco.  I don't know why we keep
talking OPS around here lately.  Theriot has a career .356 OBP.  Blanco has a career mark of
.295.  We're not talking about a few points of OBP from a few doubles turning into HRs or
something.  And it's not like Blanco got on base in the minors at some point either.

I also don't think Blanco plays far better defense than Theriot.  I mean, he makes the flashy
plays, but he makes more errors.  Most every defensive stat actually grades Theriot as one
of the better SS's in the NL
.  Mostly because he doesn't have a lot of errors.  I'm not saying
that Theriot is an awesome SS that couldn't be shifted to 2B, but I don't think that Blanco is
really that big of a defensive upgrade.

Dave B is doing some major fist pumping right now.

He's pumped up.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: October 06, 2009, 05:00:45 PM »
You guys forgot to calculate in the fact that I fucking hate Theriot.  I think I'd rather see David Eckstein playing short.
Hire Jim Essian!

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2009, 05:09:44 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 06, 2009, 05:00:45 PM
You guys forgot to calculate in the fact that I fucking hate Theriot.  I think I'd rather see David Eckstein playing short.

Now that's some irrational hatred.

How very Kermit.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: October 06, 2009, 05:22:34 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on October 06, 2009, 05:09:44 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 06, 2009, 05:00:45 PM

Now that's some irrational hatred.

How very Kermit.

I seriously can't help it.  It's to the point that I have to change the station when his voice comes on the radio.
Hire Jim Essian!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: October 07, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »
Crazy Rumor Guy thinks the Brewers are going to use Ricky Weeks as their 2B next year.

Welcome to the next year's KUBBEEZ Felipe Lopez! One of Jimbo's favorites, hopefully we give him a 4 year no trade deal.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: October 08, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »
"Chris De Luca of the Chicago Sun-Times believes the Cubs are pushing the Rays to make a deal for Milton Bradley quickly.
Chicago would certainly like to avoid the Bradley saga dragging out all offseason, impacting their free agency plans and are likely to be aggressive as a result. The Rays were one of Bradley's top suitors last winter and would theoretically still be interested. Tampa opted for Pat Burrell instead at a cheaper price (two years, $16 million as opposed to 3/$30), who had a rough year. A Bradley/Burrell deal makes a lot of sense, but the Cubbies would have to toss in money to make it happen.
Source: Chicago Sun-Times
Related: Pat Burrell"

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: October 08, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
Quote from: BH on October 08, 2009, 03:59:36 PM
"Chris De Luca of the Chicago Sun-Times believes the Cubs are pushing the Rays to make a deal for Milton Bradley quickly.
Chicago would certainly like to avoid the Bradley saga dragging out all offseason, impacting their free agency plans and are likely to be aggressive as a result. The Rays were one of Bradley's top suitors last winter and would theoretically still be interested. Tampa opted for Pat Burrell instead at a cheaper price (two years, $16 million as opposed to 3/$30), who had a rough year. A Bradley/Burrell deal makes a lot of sense, but the Cubbies would have to toss in money to make it happen.

32 years old and a million different kinds of awful last year.  This will end well.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: October 08, 2009, 04:15:41 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 08, 2009, 04:12:29 PM

32 years old and a million different kinds of awful last year.  This will end well.

Shut up Paul, you're a douche.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: October 08, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 08, 2009, 04:12:29 PM

He's a free swinger. Donuts likes guys like this.