News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,724 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #420 on: November 12, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 12, 2009, 09:01:17 AM
Quote from: R-V on November 12, 2009, 08:46:50 AM
QuoteFor a Chicago team, he's a unique commodity, as anyone who has spent 15 minutes with him would know. He's the perfect piece to have in place as Derrek Lee sails toward free agency.

Would Curtis move to first base if Derrek leaves?

No.  He would become the token morgan.

And you're our tokin' morgan.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: November 12, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out whether a "Shawon Dunston-type impact" is a good thing or a bad thing.

And that Derek Jeter comment is just fucking weird.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #422 on: November 12, 2009, 10:00:27 AM »
Fontenot gets super 2 status... could this mean we trade him? Jimbo is gonna go nuts for Luis Castillo..

From crazyrumorguy...

"Three players - Mike Fontenot, Adam Jones, and Micah Owings - have exactly two years and 139 days of service time.  According to MLB.com's Rhett Bollinger, only one could be designated a Super Two player, and it will be Fontenot.  It might seem pretty minor, but once you refresh yourself on what Super Two means, check out these ripple effects from the tiebreaker decision...

* Fontenot is arbitration-eligible now, so the Cubs can't just renew him for $430K.  He's coming off a poor season, but he'll still be more expensive in 2010.  The Cubs are tight on payroll, so you have to wonder if they'll now trade or non-tender Fontenot."

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #423 on: November 12, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »
Christ, Detroit's back-loaded contracts are worse than the Cubs:

QuoteDetroit pays Carlos Guillen's desiccated husk $26 million the next two seasons.  Dontrelle Willis had his contract extended before throwing a pitch in spring training, $12 million.  Jeremy Bonderman has never panned out, $12.5 million.  Nate Robertson, not a certainty to make the major league roster, $10 million.

The Tigers allowed Magglio Ordonez to gurantee his $18 million option for next season.  He can conceivably earn himself a $15 million option for 2011 as well.

Dombrowski has committed $65.5 million next year to five players who could be dead weight.  In coming seasons, that could be a sensible payroll for the Tigers.  If you add Miguel Cabrera's $20 million, that is $85.5 million for six players.  That would leave them just $30 million to pay the rest of the team, and that's assuming they maintain the same payroll.  The only recourse is to trade whomever they can to clear money, which happens to be Curtis Granderson.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=27907

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #424 on: November 12, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 12, 2009, 12:27:32 PM

QuoteDetroit pays Carlos Guillen's desiccated husk $26 million the next two seasons.  Dontrelle Willis had his contract extended before throwing a pitch in spring training, $12 million.  Jeremy Bonderman has never panned out, $12.5 million.  Nate Robertson, not a certainty to make the major league roster, $10 million.

The Tigers allowed Magglio Ordonez to gurantee his $18 million option for next season.  He can conceivably earn himself a $15 million option for 2011 as well.

Dombrowski has committed $65.5 million next year to five players who could be dead weight.  In coming seasons, that could be a sensible payroll for the Tigers.  If you add Miguel Cabrera's $20 million, that is $85.5 million for six players.  That would leave them just $30 million to pay the rest of the team, and that's assuming they maintain the same payroll.  The only recourse is to trade whomever they can to clear money, which happens to be Curtis Granderson.

We get it, you want the cubs to trade for Dontrelle Willis.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #425 on: November 12, 2009, 12:37:03 PM »
Quote from: BH on November 12, 2009, 12:30:18 PM
Quote from: CT III on November 12, 2009, 12:27:32 PM

We get it, you want the cubs to trade for Dontrelle Willis.

There are so many wrongs that need to be righted.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #426 on: November 16, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »
Desipio has made the bigtime. Crazy Rumor Guy quotes Andy.

"# Desipio on the Cubs-Curtis Granderson idea: "In the end, this smells like a winter of Brian Roberts and Jake Peavy trade rumors.  One that ends with us talking ourselves into how Marlon Byrd isn't so bad after all." "

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #427 on: November 16, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »
Quote from: BH on November 16, 2009, 04:22:05 PM
Desipio has made the bigtime. Crazy Rumor Guy quotes Andy.

"# Desipio on the Cubs-Curtis Granderson idea: "In the end, this smells like a winter of Brian Roberts and Jake Peavy trade rumors.  One that ends with us talking ourselves into how Marlon Byrd isn't so bad after all." "

Did reading through the instructions open your eyes like it did mine?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #428 on: November 18, 2009, 11:40:47 AM »
Rotoworld predicts we get Felipe Lopez (guh, Cubs - two years, $11 million) and Chone Figgins (Cubs - four years, $48 million).

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #429 on: November 18, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »
Quote from: BH on November 18, 2009, 11:40:47 AM
Rotoworld predicts we get Felipe Lopez (guh, Cubs - two years, $11 million) and Chone Figgins (Cubs - four years, $48 million).

Where does he actually explain why? Because isn't Figgins projected to be the 2B if he signs? Or is this guy pulling it out of his ass? I think he is.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #430 on: November 18, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 18, 2009, 11:44:44 AM

Where does he actually explain why? Because isn't Figgins projected to be the 2B if he signs? Or is this guy pulling it out of his ass? I think he is.

Typically, in the offseason a lot of internet sites try to predict who goes to what team.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #431 on: November 18, 2009, 11:53:58 AM »
Quote from: BH on November 18, 2009, 11:47:24 AM

Typically, in the offseason a lot of internet sites try to predict who goes to what team.

True, but if someone's going to make predictions that are credible then he should at least know that a guy he projects to play the OF hasn't even played the position semi-consistently since 2006. I would think he's done with that and possibly won't sign with some team that forces back out into the OF.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #432 on: November 18, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 18, 2009, 11:53:58 AM

True, but if someone's going to make predictions that are credible then he should at least know that a guy he projects to play the OF hasn't even played the position semi-consistently since 2006. I would think he's done with that and possibly won't sign with some team that forces back out into the OF.

So your projection is that Hendry won't pay top dollar for a 2B to play CF for my KUBBIEZ? If Hendry can get two more 2B this offseason, he's gotta go get them guys. Think about it, we'd have Soriano, Theriot, Figgins and Lopez in our starting roster. No other team starts 4 2B talents. No one. Hendry's dream of having all of the position players played by current/former 2Bs (and the worse hitting position players typically) is that much more complete.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #433 on: November 18, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »
Quote from: BH on November 18, 2009, 12:00:10 PM

So your projection is that Hendry won't pay top dollar for a 2B to play CF for my KUBBIEZ? If Hendry can get two more 2B this offseason, he's gotta go get them guys. Think about it, we'd have Soriano, Theriot, Figgins and Lopez in our starting roster. No other team starts 4 2B talents. No one. Hendry's dream of having all of the position players played by current/former 2B is that much more complete.

BH wins.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #434 on: November 18, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 18, 2009, 12:01:03 PM
Quote from: BH on November 18, 2009, 12:00:10 PM

So your projection is that Hendry won't pay top dollar for a 2B to play CF for my KUBBIEZ? If Hendry can get two more 2B this offseason, he's gotta go get them guys. Think about it, we'd have Soriano, Theriot, Figgins and Lopez in our starting roster. No other team starts 4 2B talents. No one. Hendry's dream of having all of the position players played by current/former 2B is that much more complete.

BH wins.

Yeah, that was a pretty easy to project.