News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,615 )

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #540 on: December 02, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 02, 2009, 10:13:14 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 02, 2009, 10:07:29 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 01, 2009, 07:14:22 PM
In doing a quick wikipedia search of mostly white Cubs players, Sam Fuld's is by far the sploogiest. What a shitfest of a fanbase

I hate these fucking fans.

Well, I'm not sure if Wiki polices changes but I made a small change to Fuld's site last night and by the morning, it was gone. Either it's Wiki or the crazy Sam Fuld Fan Club

I don't think you understand how wikis work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sam_Fuld&diff=329166782&oldid=329158323
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #541 on: December 02, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on December 02, 2009, 10:35:16 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 02, 2009, 10:13:14 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 02, 2009, 10:07:29 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 01, 2009, 07:14:22 PM
In doing a quick wikipedia search of mostly white Cubs players, Sam Fuld's is by far the sploogiest. What a shitfest of a fanbase

I hate these fucking fans.

Well, I'm not sure if Wiki polices changes but I made a small change to Fuld's site last night and by the morning, it was gone. Either it's Wiki or the crazy Sam Fuld Fan Club

I don't think you understand how wikis work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sam_Fuld&diff=329166782&oldid=329158323

No, I really don't. I should probably get a log-in someday.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #542 on: December 02, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
Samuel Babson Fuld?  I want to punch him right in his blood sugar meter.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #543 on: December 02, 2009, 11:48:20 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on December 02, 2009, 07:49:35 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 01, 2009, 05:22:32 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on December 01, 2009, 05:09:46 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 01, 2009, 04:33:09 PM
Well, since the Cubs fucked up that Harden thing, maybe they can hang onto Milton? Probably not. I know I'm probably one of 5 Cub fans who actually want him retained, but I would think it would make more money sense to hang on to him for $10 million than to pick up, say, Burrell, for $15 million or so (His contract plus a good chunk of Milton's). Burrell is shitty and Milton is not. Worn out his welcome in Chicago? Who gives a shit? The fans will probably hate him. They won't stop coming to the park. If someone boycotts them, there will be another schmoe ready to take his/her seats. Clubhouse shit? Fuck that, too. Read this that MB21 of ACB wrote on Kaplan's blog a while back. It's pretty dead on:

QuoteAlso, chemistry probably has more to do with winning and losing. Players have more fun winning and it will create an exciting environment for all the players. Losing sucks and it will bring out the worst in people.

I don't know how much value chemistry has, but I do know that most managers and general managers have said that it doesn't matter. I also find it hard to believe that Player A is performing worse because Player B is an ass. That's actually something we could verify and I might actually look into it if you were to provide me with 20 or 30 players who are supposedly clubhouse cancers. If people say who they are we can find out if they have any impact on performance.

Think about it, Dave. If you could tell your boss that your performance was lacking because Joe was an ass, what do you think he would say? People can't do that. That's not what happens in real life. We all deal with asses nearly every day of our lives. If you work in a company that has more than a few employees you're working with someone who would be considered a clubhouse cancer. I'm assuming that you couldn't go tell your boss that your poor performance was Joe's fault. As people we have learned how to perform being around those types of people. We've had to. We could not function if we didn't have that ability.

Why are these guys different? Why are athletes so different from carpenters or accountants? They all work with people they'd rather not and they cannot excuse their performance by blaming another.

I do believe that a positive work environment is best, but that's just an opinion. It very well could be the exact opposite of what people think today. It's very possible that 25 guys as friends and buddies perform worse than 25 guys who hate each other's guts. I would not think that would be the case, but I don't know.

I know that many things that were considered common knowledge about baseball have been found untrue. Because of that, I cannot accept as fact that chemistry affects performance. I certainly have an opinion about it. If Joe is having problems performing because of Jack then I'm firing Joe. We have to perform under pressure in our lives and part of that is dealing with these types of people. If you cannot do that, you are the one that should be fired. That's my opinion. I have no idea whether any of it is true or if that's the best thing to do or not. I don't know either way and until someone proves it or disproves it I am going to assume that chemistry is of minimal to no value.

So fuck that stupid myth about team chemistry. Fuck it with the power of the 9 year decade.

Milton Bradley sucks at baseball.  Bottom line.  Who gives a fuck about how big of a morgan he is?  Get him the shit out of town.  Give it up Yeti, you're wrong.

So, who do you want? Sam Fuld? Reed Johnson?

Raul Ibanez

I also wanted that mauer kid over that flaming vag from southern cal.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #544 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »
Quote from: BBM on December 02, 2009, 11:48:20 AM
Well, since the Cubs fucked up that Harden thing, maybe they can hang onto Milton? Probably not. I know I'm probably one of 5 Cub fans who actually want him retained, but I would think it would make more money sense to hang on to him for $10 million than to pick up, say, Burrell, for $15 million or so (His contract plus a good chunk of Milton's). Burrell is shitty and Milton is not. Worn out his welcome in Chicago? Who gives a shit? The fans will probably hate him. They won't stop coming to the park. If someone boycotts them, there will be another schmoe ready to take his/her seats. Clubhouse shit? Fuck that, too. Read this that MB21 of ACB wrote on Kaplan's blog a while back. It's pretty dead on:

QuoteAlso, chemistry probably has more to do with winning and losing. Players have more fun winning and it will create an exciting environment for all the players. Losing sucks and it will bring out the worst in people.

I don't know how much value chemistry has, but I do know that most managers and general managers have said that it doesn't matter. I also find it hard to believe that Player A is performing worse because Player B is an ass. That's actually something we could verify and I might actually look into it if you were to provide me with 20 or 30 players who are supposedly clubhouse cancers. If people say who they are we can find out if they have any impact on performance.

Think about it, Dave. If you could tell your boss that your performance was lacking because Joe was an ass, what do you think he would say? People can't do that. That's not what happens in real life. We all deal with asses nearly every day of our lives. If you work in a company that has more than a few employees you're working with someone who would be considered a clubhouse cancer. I'm assuming that you couldn't go tell your boss that your poor performance was Joe's fault. As people we have learned how to perform being around those types of people. We've had to. We could not function if we didn't have that ability.

Why are these guys different? Why are athletes so different from carpenters or accountants? They all work with people they'd rather not and they cannot excuse their performance by blaming another.

I do believe that a positive work environment is best, but that's just an opinion. It very well could be the exact opposite of what people think today. It's very possible that 25 guys as friends and buddies perform worse than 25 guys who hate each other's guts. I would not think that would be the case, but I don't know.

I know that many things that were considered common knowledge about baseball have been found untrue. Because of that, I cannot accept as fact that chemistry affects performance. I certainly have an opinion about it. If Joe is having problems performing because of Jack then I'm firing Joe. We have to perform under pressure in our lives and part of that is dealing with these types of people. If you cannot do that, you are the one that should be fired. That's my opinion. I have no idea whether any of it is true or if that's the best thing to do or not. I don't know either way and until someone proves it or disproves it I am going to assume that chemistry is of minimal to no value.

So fuck that stupid myth about team chemistry. Fuck it with the power of the 9 year decade.

Milton Bradley sucks at baseball.  Bottom line.  Who gives a fuck about how big of a morgan he is?  Get him the shit out of town.  Give it up Yeti, you're wrong.

Raul Ibanez

I also wanted that mauer kid over that flaming vag from southern cal.

If you did you were prescient.  Should have gone to the track that day.

That draft was Prior/Teixera, Teixera/Prior.  Don't kid yourself.  The Twinkies took Mauer because there'd have been no way for them to sign the other 2.  We come here as an escape from self-congratulatory revisionism.  Well, I do at least.  In small part.  Well, maybe not at all but let's stop spreading falsehoods, m'kay?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #545 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
Quote from: BBM on December 02, 2009, 11:48:20 AM

Milton Bradley sucks at baseball.  Bottom line.  Who gives a fuck about how big of a morgan he is?  Get him the shit out of town.  Give it up Yeti, you're wrong.

Raul Ibanez

I also wanted that mauer teixeira kid over that flaming vag from southern cal.

Huey FACE'd.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #546 on: December 02, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »
After reading the last several pages of this thread, I'm depressed about the 2010 Cubs.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #547 on: December 02, 2009, 01:35:51 PM »
Quote from: MAD on December 02, 2009, 12:25:02 PM
That draft was Prior/Teixera, Teixera/Prior.  Don't kid yourself.  The Twinkies took Mauer because there'd have been no way for them to sign the other 2.  We come here as an escape from self-congratulatory revisionism.  Well, I do at least.  In small part.  Well, maybe not at all but let's stop spreading falsehoods, m'kay?

For the Cubs it was Prior-Teixeira, Mauer would have gone to the Rays or Phillies at 3 or 4, if he hadn't gone one.  (They took the immortals Dewon Brazelton and Gavin Floyd).  The Cubs were all over Tex until they flopped so spectacularly at the end of 2000 that they ended up in Prior range.

But Mauer was more than just a hometown hero.  He was a bonafide stud in high school, and the only concern any team had was that he'd signed a football scholarship to play QB at FSU and that he'd charge extra to buy him out of it.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #548 on: December 02, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
Quote from: Andy on December 02, 2009, 01:35:51 PM
Quote from: MAD on December 02, 2009, 12:25:02 PM

For the Cubs it was Prior-Teixeira, Mauer would have gone to the Rays or Phillies at 3 or 4, if he hadn't gone one.  (They took the immortals Dewon Brazelton and Gavin Floyd).  The Cubs were all over Tex until they flopped so spectacularly at the end of 2000 that they ended up in Prior range.

But Mauer was more than just a hometown hero.  He was a bonafide stud in high school, and the only concern any team had was that he'd signed a football scholarship to play QB at FSU and that he'd charge extra to buy him out of it.

Still.  Even if Mauer was rated third through fifth, the fact remains that Prior and Texiera comprised the two-person elite class of that draft.  Perhaps it was a lucky coincidence that Mauer was from St. Paul but if signability wasn't an issue, the Twins would have taken one of the other two.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #549 on: December 02, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »
Isn't there a good possibility that BBM was totally kidding?
Hire Jim Essian!

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #550 on: December 02, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »
No, I'm saying the only team in the top four who was projected to take Tex over Mauer was the Cubs, because they were in a 30 year cycle of having shit third basemen.

Everybody knew Teixiera was good, but Mauer was the 6'5 lefty hitting catching prospect from the gods.  

I think most teams had it:
1. Prior
2. Mauer
3. Tex

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #551 on: December 02, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »
Seriously, this thread sucks.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #552 on: December 02, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »
The Cubs let some guys go, and they'll be able to replace them with guys of equal or greater value for equal or less money with relatively little problem.

And anyone who says they didn't have a boner over Prior from Draft Day 2001 up until at least the end of the 2004 season is a damn liar.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #553 on: December 02, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 02, 2009, 01:55:07 PM

So will the 2010 Cubs.  The thread is perfect.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #554 on: December 02, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 02, 2009, 02:23:24 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 02, 2009, 01:55:07 PM

So will the 2010 Cubs.  The thread is perfect.

I hate the way InternetChuck backs his favorite team.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"