News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,790 )

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #615 on: December 05, 2009, 01:45:35 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 05, 2009, 12:46:21 PM
Quote from: Weebs on December 05, 2009, 12:09:53 PM
Quote from: BH on December 04, 2009, 01:11:47 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on December 04, 2009, 01:08:15 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on December 04, 2009, 10:18:20 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/12/ex-cubs-outfielder-jacque-jones-wants-back-in.html

Don't look now, but the free agent outfield pool has become much, much stronger.

Starting in right field for your Cincinnati Reds, Jacque Jones!

CF has to be fast and lead off. Willy Tavaras is faster than Jock.

Is Mike Cameron still fast?

QuoteMike Cameron is the Cubs' top option to play center field, reports Gordon Wittenmeyer of the Chicago Sun-Times.
The only thing standing between the Cubs and Cameron is Milton Bradley, argues Wittenmeyer. If and when Bradley is moved, it sounds as if Cameron will immediately be inked, who has manager Lou Pinella's approval. The 37-year old remains an excellent fielder and is also remarkably consistent with the bat, having averaged 22 home runs and 75 RBI over the past 11 seasons with little fluctuation. The right-hander would be a great complementary player on the South Side and would come without a long-term contract attached. Things can always change, but this is one rumor that makes all the sense in the world. Marlon Byrd was also mentioned as a person of interest to the club.

I can't wait to see him patrolling CF at U.S. Wrigular Field.

Apparently there's some other rumor about the Cubs getting both Granderson and Cabrera in a trade with the Tigers.  I heard it from a friend who knows a girl who's sleeping with Andrew Cashner.

Mike Cameron would be a valuable asset to have. He's not a phenomenal player but he's pretty good. He does K a lot (I'm sure the Wrigley idiots will love that) and doesn't have a high BA but he does get on base at a decent clip (.340 lifetime, league average last year was .333). I've been saying that *if* the Cubs feel that they have to trade Bradley, I wanted to see a bullpen arm or some young guys for him, move Fukkake to RF and sign Cameron for CF. He, along with Polanco, were  the ones I wanted. Polanco's gone, so Cameron's the one I'll pine for. Give him a one year deal.

On the flip side, Bill James' projections only have him at a .328 OBP, .756 OPS, and a .330 wOBA. Projections aren't perfect, but, hey, it's something

This ends with Mike Cameron getting 3 years, a no trade clause, way too many millions of dollars, and a newborn baby's soul to sign with the Cubs.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #616 on: December 05, 2009, 01:49:10 PM »
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/12/ex-cubs-outfielder-jacque-jones-wants-back-in.html

Don't look now, but the free agent outfield pool has become much, much stronger.

QuoteMike Cameron is the Cubs' top option to play center field, reports Gordon Wittenmeyer of the Chicago Sun-Times.
The only thing standing between the Cubs and Cameron is Milton Bradley, argues Wittenmeyer. If and when Bradley is moved, it sounds as if Cameron will immediately be inked, who has manager Lou Pinella's approval. The 37-year old remains an excellent fielder and is also remarkably consistent with the bat, having averaged 22 home runs and 75 RBI over the past 11 seasons with little fluctuation. The right-hander would be a great complementary player on the South Side and would come without a long-term contract attached. Things can always change, but this is one rumor that makes all the sense in the world. Marlon Byrd was also mentioned as a person of interest to the club.

Apparently there's some other rumor about the Cubs getting both Granderson and Cabrera in a trade with the Tigers.  I heard it from a friend who knows a girl who's sleeping with Andrew Cashner.

Mike Cameron would be a valuable asset to have. He's not a phenomenal player but he's pretty good. He does K a lot (I'm sure the Wrigley idiots will love that) and doesn't have a high BA but he does get on base at a decent clip (.340 lifetime, league average last year was .333). I've been saying that *if* the Cubs feel that they have to trade Bradley, I wanted to see a bullpen arm or some young guys for him, move Fukkake to RF and sign Cameron for CF. He, along with Polanco, were  the ones I wanted. Polanco's gone, so Cameron's the one I'll pine for. Give him a one year deal.

On the flip side, Bill James' projections only have him at a .328 OBP, .756 OPS, and a .330 wOBA. Projections aren't perfect, but, hey, it's something

I approve of this SABRYeti post. They could do a lot worse than Cameron in CF for a year or two. The only downside with him is if he finally realizes he's 59 years old.

As for Polanco, he would've been a nice stopgap as well, but he's 34. If Hendry would've signed him to that 3 year deal he got, my rectum would be even more chapped than usual. Orlando Hudson anyone?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #617 on: December 05, 2009, 02:31:18 PM »
Yea. The contract Polanco got was at least a year too long. Like Pen had said afterwards, 2/12 would have been fine, not 3/18 with an option for the 4th (not sure who the option is for though: club, player, or mutual).

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #618 on: December 05, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 05, 2009, 02:31:18 PM
Yea. The contract Polanco got was at least a year too long. Like Pen had said afterwards, 2/12 would have been fine, not 3/18 with an option for the 4th (not sure who the option is for though: club, player, or mutual).

Eh, I think it's a smart contract.  The Philly's have a crazy good team
and Palanco makes them better for the next year or two at least.  Smart
organizations give the extra year to fill actual needs to try and win the
World Series.  The Cubs give them to Miles and Grabow and Jock and so on.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #619 on: December 05, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »
Quote from: R-V on December 05, 2009, 01:49:10 PM

I approve of this SABRYeti post. They could do a lot worse than Cameron in CF for a year or two. The only downside with him is if he finally realizes he's 59 years old.

Yeah, but you know Hendry's gonna sign him to a 5 year contract.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #620 on: December 06, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
Quote from: JD on December 05, 2009, 09:05:13 PM

Because he has teh leaderships.

QuoteRangers outfielder Marlon Byrd is a possibility, and if Tigers outfielder Curtis Granderson is available, the Cubs will make a move. But some in the organization believe the best fit would be Brewers center fielder Mike Cameron, and not necessarily for his stellar defense or occasional power.

Cameron has been a clubhouse leader almost everywhere he has played and would be the equivalent of Eric Karros in 2003 or Cliff Floyd in '07.

QuoteWhat the Cubs lack most is a clubhouse presence that lightens the mood, takes the pressure off Lee and Theriot to be designated spokesmen and knows how to play for a demanding manager like Piniella.

Every time I visit the Tribune website, I'm reminded why I no longer subscribe.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #621 on: December 06, 2009, 06:40:42 PM »
The Cubs have been on the verge of acquiring Marlon Byrd for at least three years. I hate him already.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #622 on: December 06, 2009, 09:34:15 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on December 06, 2009, 06:40:42 PM
The Cubs have been on the verge of acquiring Marlon Byrd for at least three years. I hate him already.

He and Brian Roberts bat 1-2 in the Cubs' imaginary line-up.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #623 on: December 07, 2009, 08:06:31 AM »
Quote from: R-V on December 06, 2009, 01:03:35 PM
Quote from: JD on December 05, 2009, 09:05:13 PM

Because he has teh leaderships.

QuoteRangers outfielder Marlon Byrd is a possibility, and if Tigers outfielder Curtis Granderson is available, the Cubs will make a move. But some in the organization believe the best fit would be Brewers center fielder Mike Cameron, and not necessarily for his stellar defense or occasional power.

Cameron has been a clubhouse leader almost everywhere he has played and would be the equivalent of Eric Karros in 2003 or Cliff Floyd in '07.

QuoteWhat the Cubs lack most is a clubhouse presence that lightens the mood, takes the pressure off Lee and Theriot to be designated spokesmen and knows how to play for a demanding manager like Piniella.

Every time I visit the Tribune website, I'm reminded why I no longer subscribe.

Just when the Tribune gets more appealing with the loss of Rick Morrissey, it's cancelled out by this kind of Cubs' analysis.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #624 on: December 07, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »

Apparently there's some other rumor about the Cubs getting both Granderson and Cabrera in a trade with the Tigers.  I heard it from a friend who knows a girl who's sleeping with Andrew Cashner.

Mike Cameron would be a valuable asset to have. He's not a phenomenal player but he's pretty good. He does K a lot (I'm sure the Wrigley idiots will love that) and doesn't have a high BA but he does get on base at a decent clip (.340 lifetime, league average last year was .333). I've been saying that *if* the Cubs feel that they have to trade Bradley, I wanted to see a bullpen arm or some young guys for him, move Fukkake to RF and sign Cameron for CF. He, along with Polanco, were  the ones I wanted. Polanco's gone, so Cameron's the one I'll pine for. Give him a one year deal.

As for Polanco, he would've been a nice stopgap as well, but he's 34. If Hendry would've signed him to that 3 year deal he got, my rectum would be even more chapped than usual. Orlando Hudson anyone?

Are you trying to seduce me?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #625 on: December 07, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »
QuoteTom Haines of PhillyBurbs.com reports that Rays outfielder-designated hitter Pat Burrell has been traded to the Mets.
Take this report with an extreme grain of salt. According to Haines, Burrell was traded to the Cubs, then swapped to the Mets. Obviously, this could be as part of the rumored three-way deal involving Milton Bradley and Luis Castillo, but this is the only outlet reporting the trade. We're awaiting further confirmation.

I really don't have a problem with Luis Castillo on the team, but godammit I am sick of Theriot at SS.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #626 on: December 07, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 07, 2009, 10:41:01 AM

Do you want me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #627 on: December 07, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 07, 2009, 10:54:56 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 07, 2009, 10:41:01 AM

Do you want me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

I don't know, are you RV?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #628 on: December 07, 2009, 10:58:44 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 07, 2009, 10:47:40 AM
QuoteTom Haines of PhillyBurbs.com reports that Rays outfielder-designated hitter Pat Burrell has been traded to the Mets.
Take this report with an extreme grain of salt. According to Haines, Burrell was traded to the Cubs, then swapped to the Mets. Obviously, this could be as part of the rumored three-way deal involving Milton Bradley and Luis Castillo, but this is the only outlet reporting the trade. We're awaiting further confirmation.

I really don't have a problem with Luis Castillo on the team, but godammit I am sick of Theriot at SS.

Well, he gets on base a lot... Prepping for the Milton Bradley No Longer a Cub ANGER

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #629 on: December 07, 2009, 11:01:07 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 07, 2009, 10:47:40 AM

Don't worry - Starlin Jeter is coming. He won an award for best future player of all time. So just relax.

Starlin is coming.