News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,694 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #630 on: December 07, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on December 07, 2009, 11:01:07 AM
Quote from: Weebs on December 07, 2009, 10:47:40 AM
QuoteTom Haines of PhillyBurbs.com reports that Rays outfielder-designated hitter Pat Burrell has been traded to the Mets.
Take this report with an extreme grain of salt. According to Haines, Burrell was traded to the Cubs, then swapped to the Mets. Obviously, this could be as part of the rumored three-way deal involving Milton Bradley and Luis Castillo, but this is the only outlet reporting the trade. We're awaiting further confirmation.

I really don't have a problem with Luis Castillo on the team, but godammit I am sick of Theriot at SS.

Don't worry - Starlin Jeter is coming. He won an award for best future player of all time. So just relax.

Starlin is coming.

It doesn't matter when the organization won't let anyone replace The Riot at short.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #631 on: December 07, 2009, 11:06:37 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 07, 2009, 10:58:44 AM
QuoteTom Haines of PhillyBurbs.com reports that Rays outfielder-designated hitter Pat Burrell has been traded to the Mets.
Take this report with an extreme grain of salt. According to Haines, Burrell was traded to the Cubs, then swapped to the Mets. Obviously, this could be as part of the rumored three-way deal involving Milton Bradley and Luis Castillo, but this is the only outlet reporting the trade. We're awaiting further confirmation.

I really don't have a problem with Luis Castillo on the team, but godammit I am sick of Theriot at SS.

Well, he gets on base a lot... Prepping for the Milton Bradley No Longer a Cub ANGER

Shut up you video game fatass.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #632 on: December 07, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on December 07, 2009, 11:04:58 AM
Quote from: Slack-E on December 07, 2009, 11:01:07 AM

Don't worry - Starlin Jeter is coming. He won an award for best future player of all time. So just relax.

Starlin is coming.

It doesn't matter when the organization won't let anyone replace The Riot at short.

I hate this team.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #633 on: December 07, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »

Well, he gets on base a lot... Prepping for the Milton Bradley No Longer a Cub ANGER

Sap y'all, hayseed.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #634 on: December 07, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on December 07, 2009, 11:17:58 AM

Sap y'all, hayseed.

FACE

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #635 on: December 07, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »
Everyone getting excited for the winter meetings?

Quote from: some bad Seattle Times writer
One great winter-meetings story that pops to mind was told to me by Bob Quinn, a long-time baseball executive.
It involves his father, John Quinn, who at the time was GM of the Milwaukee Braves, and Dodgers GM Buzzie
Bavasi, father of former Mariner head man Bill Bavasi. The year was 1953, and Quinn was intent on working out a
trade that would bring outfielder Andy Pafko to Milwaukee. As Bob Quinn told it, the two had haggled for hours
in the lobby when Buzzie told John he was done. He was heading back to his room for the night.

"My dad said, 'Let me come up for 15 minutes, '' Bob Quinn recalled. "Up in the room, Buzzie starts to take off
his clothes, and my dad starts taking off his clothes, too. 'John, what are you doing?' Buzzie asks. My dad said,
'Buzzie, I'm getting into bed with you until we get the deal done.' ''

Pafko was eventually traded to the Braves.

It's like the famous light house shot in Casablanca.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #636 on: December 07, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »
Quote from: Pre on December 07, 2009, 11:59:17 AM
Everyone getting excited for the winter meetings?

Quote from: some bad Seattle Times writer
One great winter-meetings story that pops to mind was told to me by Bob Quinn, a long-time baseball executive.
It involves his father, John Quinn, who at the time was GM of the Milwaukee Braves, and Dodgers GM Buzzie
Bavasi, father of former Mariner head man Bill Bavasi. The year was 1953, and Quinn was intent on working out a
trade that would bring outfielder Andy Pafko to Milwaukee. As Bob Quinn told it, the two had haggled for hours
in the lobby when Buzzie told John he was done. He was heading back to his room for the night.

"My dad said, 'Let me come up for 15 minutes, '' Bob Quinn recalled. "Up in the room, Buzzie starts to take off
his clothes, and my dad starts taking off his clothes, too. 'John, what are you doing?' Buzzie asks. My dad said,
'Buzzie, I'm getting into bed with you until we get the deal done.' ''

Pafko was eventually traded to the Braves.

It's like the famous light house shot in Casablanca.

Wow, the 50's were gay. By gay I mean happy.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #637 on: December 07, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
QuoteINDIANAPOLIS -- Chicago Cubs and Kansas City Royals personnel got together on Sunday night and had peripheral conversations about possible trade scenarios that could work for the two clubs.

Milton Bradley would be the type of run producer Kansas City would be interested in, while Royals pitcher Gil Meche is someone they would consider trading.

K.C. is looking for a run-producing outfielder and Bradley could fit nicely with the small-market Royals.

I think Meche is owed like $12.5 million for each of the next two seasons, so this would probably be the best possible deal so far in the Milton saga.  I'd have no problem with Meche as a 5th starter on the team.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #638 on: December 07, 2009, 03:13:29 PM »
My heart breaks.

QuoteOutfielder Matt Murton was released by the Rockies in a move designed to allow Murton to sign with a Japanese team. Murton figured in the Rockies' plans as a backup right-handed-hitting outfielder in case they dealt Ryan Spilborghs.

When the opportunity arose in Japan, however, the Rockies agreed to allow Murton to go because of the salary he can command in that country.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #639 on: December 07, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 07, 2009, 03:13:29 PM
My heart breaks.

QuoteOutfielder Matt Murton was released by the Rockies in a move designed to allow Murton to sign with a Japanese team. Murton figured in the Rockies' plans as a backup right-handed-hitting outfielder in case they dealt Ryan Spilborghs.

When the opportunity arose in Japan, however, the Rockies agreed to allow Murton to go because of the salary he can command in that country.

Now we can finally see how amazing Murton can be if he gets regular playing time.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #640 on: December 07, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »
Do they have unicorns in Japan?
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #641 on: December 07, 2009, 04:22:17 PM »
Ryno to manage I-Cubs in 2010.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #642 on: December 07, 2009, 04:55:13 PM »
Let's hope he stays there for 2011.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #643 on: December 07, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on December 07, 2009, 04:22:17 PM

Damn.  I was really hoping Notre Dame would make him an offer.
Hire Jim Essian!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #644 on: December 07, 2009, 05:03:09 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 07, 2009, 04:56:24 PM
Quote from: Dave B on December 07, 2009, 04:22:17 PM

Damn.  I was really hoping Notre Dame would make him an offer.

South Bend is too boring, even for Sandberg.