News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,794 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #960 on: January 05, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »
I really had no idea why CFiHP was so passionately defending an inferior player until it dawned on me that Jason Bay used to play for Pittsburgh.  I get it now.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #961 on: January 05, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2010, 06:20:34 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 05, 2010, 06:03:06 PM
Quality of teams has to factor in here--when Bay was with the Pirates, they were so shitty that a replacement LF wasn't going to cost the Pirates games they were already losing.  When he was with the Red Sox, there was enough surrounding talent that Bay's contributions probably didn't influence their winning percentage that strongly.

That's not how it works.

From what I read, WAR calculated the # of wins the player would be expected to contribute above a generic/average replacement.  Maybe I misunderstood, but if that is the case, it'd make sense that a player's team would influence that stat.

As for UZR, it makes sense that an OF's rating would be affected by who plays the neighboring position(s).  It'll be interesting to see if a healthy Beltran affects Bay's rating.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #962 on: January 05, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 05, 2010, 11:02:01 PM
From what I read, WAR calculated the # of wins the player would be expected to contribute above a generic/average replacement.  Maybe I misunderstood, but if that is the case, it'd make sense that a player's team would influence that stat.

Due to a busy schedule, I've outsourced all of my sabermetric explanations to Yeti, so he'll be following up with you shortly. 

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #963 on: January 05, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 05, 2010, 08:17:57 PM
Quote from: Yeti on January 05, 2010, 06:47:48 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on January 05, 2010, 06:21:53 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 05, 2010, 06:09:08 PM
Quote from: Pre on January 05, 2010, 08:53:05 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 05, 2010, 03:38:19 AM
Holliday is two years younger though, and he might be better than Bay, but by "a lot?"  I don't see the wide margin in the numbers.  I'd say that Holliday is a marginal upgrade, if anything.

You would make a great GM.

For the Mets.

WAR for the last 3 years
Bay -      0.0 (not on vacation, just crappy)/2.9/3.5
Holliday - 8.0/6.3/5.7

Quality of teams has to factor in here--when Bay was with the Pirates, they were so shitty that a replacement LF wasn't going to cost the Pirates games they were already losing.  When he was with the Red Sox, there was enough surrounding talent that Bay's contributions probably didn't influence their winning percentage that strongly.

Holliday played for teams that were good enough that his contributions could matter.

And adjust for Coors inflation.

I think that the OPS splits--especially the away ones--are still the most relevant, as they measure individual performance, instead of linking value to the quality of the team for which the player played.

For a self-professed non-stat fag, you sure sound a lot like a stat fag, even if you might have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote from: Terrell Owens
"Like my boy tells me: If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat."

He doesn't know what he's talking about. WAR does not depend upon the team's win totals.

Edit: Eli kind of beat me to it, but to elaborate, you convert from OBP and SLG to some form of an offensive "runs created" vaue and compare it against lg average. Same for defensive contribution. Sum them up to calculate runs above replacement (RAR). Divide by 10. 10 runs per win. The result is WAR.

I think somehow he wanted to say that his shitty team affected his OBP and SLG. Apparently the fact that Nyjer's just a dumb morgan affected the way Bay could hit the fuck out of the ball and get on base. CFiHP, seriously. You can't win this Holliday > Bay on many levels. He's a better hitter, fielder, teammate, cocksucker, and player. Just because they got similar dollar amounts (Bay around $16mil/yr and Holliday $17mil/yr) doesn't mean their equal. Holliday is probably worth that and Bay is overpaid. Good for him, but fuck stop pulling these "SABR" stats of yours out of your lady friend's vagoda.

If you want to look at OPS, look at OPS+ which adjusts for (GASP!) park factors (And the COORS INFLATION). I don't even feel like looking up the differences they have in that, or any other stats. The point remains that Holliday is still better than Bay.

As far as your article about Bay's UZR, it is possible, and it has happened before (Teixera) that UZR misses, but it's still a very good indicator of a player's defensive prowess. That article mentions that Bay was a top player in RF last year. Would we agree that Adam Dunn is a horrible outfielder? Well, take a look at this. Even the shitty Adam Dunn had a good RF year.

Oh yea... Sydney Crosby's a fucking diving nifkin.

To add a BBQ glaze on top of Yeti's roast:

Bay last 3 years: 121 OPS+
Holliday last 3 years: 143 OPS+

It's really not close.

Thanks. I just reread what I wrote. HeyZues, the typing errors.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #964 on: January 05, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark link=topic= 6969.msg201356#msg201356 date=1262736186
Quality of teams has to factor in here--when Bay was with the Pirates, they were so shitty that a replacement LF wasn't going to cost the Pirates games they were already losing.  When he was with the Red Sox, there was enough surrounding talent that Bay's contributions probably didn't influence their winning percentage that strongly.

That's not how it works.

As for UZR, it makes sense that an OF's rating would be affected by who plays the neighboring position(s).  It'll be interesting to see if a healthy Beltran affects Bay's rating.

"No", to the first part. I explained that already.

And "no" to the second as well. Look up how UZR is calculated and you'll understand why: it's zero sum. If a CF gets to a disproportionate amount of balls that fall in one of the 78 zones (the wedges of the outfield for which responsibility is split between the LF and CF), then the LF is receiving credit for fewer balls fielded then what is normally expected. As such, this would cause a negative shift in UZR by way of the RngR component. The CF would need to be fielding fewer, not more, balls in the 78 zones for a LF to show improvement.

Edit: So, technically, yes to what you're asserting: outfielders do affect the UZR of neighboring outfielders, but in the complete opposite manner to which you are arguing.

Edit2: "78 zones" may be a misnomer. I think that's the terminology used by STATS, Inc. I think UZR uses some other data set which may or may not divide the field in the same fashion. But, the general concept stands no matter how responsibility is allocated.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #965 on: January 05, 2010, 11:22:28 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2010, 11:12:43 PM

Due to a busy schedule, I've outsourced all of my sabermetric explanations to Yeti, so he'll be following up with you shortly. 

I'm tired and lazy. CFiHP, if you haven't done so, go here: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/glossary/#winvalues. Let me know if you have questions. I might help. Part 4 has replacement player information that you may find interesting.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #966 on: January 06, 2010, 07:26:25 AM »
This statqueer tomfoolery confuses me, but I have a blind, ignorant faith in it--I know it all makes sense, I just don't care enough to make sense of it.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #967 on: January 06, 2010, 07:39:14 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on January 06, 2010, 07:26:25 AM
This statqueer tomfoolery confuses me, but I have a blind, ignorant faith in it--I know it all makes sense, I just don't care enough to make sense of it.

THI
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #968 on: January 06, 2010, 07:40:48 AM »
Quote from: MAD on January 06, 2010, 07:39:14 AM

THI

Beat me to it Huey.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #969 on: January 06, 2010, 07:45:06 AM »
Quote from: flannj on January 06, 2010, 07:40:48 AM

THI

Beat me to it Huey.

Hell, I still don't get why I'm supposed to JO everytime some morgan gets a walk instead of a hit. I mean HELLO ITS CALLED HITTING. But whatev, the groupthink says go with it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #970 on: January 06, 2010, 07:50:02 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2010, 07:45:06 AM
Quote from: flannj on January 06, 2010, 07:40:48 AM

THI

Beat me to it Huey.

Hell, I still don't get why I'm supposed to JO everytime some morgan gets a walk instead of a hit. I mean HELLO ITS CALLED HITTING. But whatev, the groupthink says go with it.

You show me a statfaggot, and I'll show you a faggot.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #971 on: January 06, 2010, 08:26:17 AM »

That's not how it works.

So what's it like going through life never being wrong about anything?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #972 on: January 06, 2010, 09:45:33 AM »
This is the worst thread on the internet.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #973 on: January 06, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 06, 2010, 09:45:33 AM
This is the worst thread on the internet.
I won't hear it! There's a thread in Eastbourne...
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #974 on: January 06, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 06, 2010, 08:26:17 AM

That's not how it works.

So what's it like going through life never being wrong about anything?

I'm not saying I'm right--I didn't understand the full definition of the stats and why a player's team's quality didn't affect the WAR value of a player and was asking for clarity.

I'm just trying to learn, and focused/pointed questions are usually the best way to get the information you're lacking.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!