News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,826 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #1067 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:43 AM »
Chad Tracy?  THE Chad Tracy?  Things are looking up!  The Cubs haven't had this kind of Ginger haired bench god since Murton was taking pitchers deep (to shortstop.)

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1068 on: January 27, 2010, 08:50:57 AM »
Quote from: Andy on January 27, 2010, 08:49:43 AM
Chad Tracy?  THE Chad Tracy?  Things are looking up!  The Cubs haven't had this kind of Ginger haired bench god since Murton was taking pitchers deep (to shortstop.) 150 ft. in the air to second base.

Big Game Murton'd.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1069 on: January 27, 2010, 08:54:49 AM »

Why would the Cubs waste money on an washed up old fart like Chad Tracy when they've got a young up-and-coming prospect like Micah Hoffpauir?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1070 on: January 27, 2010, 09:00:53 AM »
Over on Bruce Miles' blog, our old buddy Sanjay H. (HoopsCubs) was worried that the Cubs have too many good players to choose from when constructing a bench.

Somebody's been on the hooka a little too long.

If they start Lee, Baker, Theriot, E-ramis, Soto, Soriano, Byrd and Kosuke;

Have a rotation of Zambrano, Dempster, Wells, Gorzelanny (ugh) and Silva (ugh, ugh) with Lilly on the DL;

Have a bullpen of Marmol, Grabow, Marshall, Guzman, (and three spots going to some pair of Samardzija, Berg, Caridad, the immortal Jeff Gray, Stevens, Atkins or the Albino)

That leaves five bench spots.  You need a backup catcher so it'll be Koyie.  Nady gets one.  So that leaves three spots from among this assortment of greatness:

Fontenot, Andy White, Hoffpauir, Chad Tracy, something named Bryan LaHair, something named Brad Snyder, Bobby Scales and Darwin Barney.  Oooh, however will Lou choose?

At this point, worrying about cutting a guy who can play doesn't seem like much of an option.

Oh, and Evans, when you go to make your hilarious Darwin Barney: Origin of the Utility Infielder Photoshop...just don't.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1071 on: January 27, 2010, 09:16:32 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 27, 2010, 08:54:49 AM

Why would the Cubs waste money on an washed up old fart like Chad Tracy when they've got a young up-and-coming prospect like Micah Hoffpauir?

I know you're making a joke, but I heard someone make this exact complaint yesterday. 

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1072 on: January 27, 2010, 09:26:02 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 27, 2010, 09:16:32 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 27, 2010, 08:54:49 AM

I know you're making a joke, but I heard someone make this exact complaint yesterday. 

Did you tell them Tracy's younger than Hoffpauir?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1073 on: January 27, 2010, 09:26:36 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on January 27, 2010, 08:50:57 AM
Quote from: Andy on January 27, 2010, 08:49:43 AM
Chad Tracy?  THE Chad Tracy?  Things are looking up!  The Cubs haven't had this kind of Ginger haired bench god since Murton was taking pitchers deep (to shortstop.) 150 ft. in the air to second base.

Big Game Murton'd.

I'm not sure I understand what you did there or why. But I like it. Matt Murton and Kurt Evans are getting their asses kicked all over this messageboard today. I think it's going to be great day. Might as well be because tonight's poker night. Yes!

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1074 on: January 27, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »
Quote from: Andy on January 27, 2010, 09:00:53 AM
Over on Bruce Miles' blog, our old buddy Sanjay H. (HoopsCubs) was worried that the Cubs have too many good players to choose from when constructing a bench.

Have a rotation of Zambrano, Dempster, Wells, Gorzelanny (ugh) and Silva (ugh, ugh) with Lilly on the DL;

Have a bullpen of Marmol, Grabow, Marshall, Guzman, (and three spots going to some pair of Samardzija, Berg, Caridad, the immortal Jeff Gray, Stevens, Atkins or the Albino)

That leaves five bench spots.  You need a backup catcher so it'll be Koyie.  Nady gets one.  So that leaves three spots from among this assortment of greatness:

Fontenot, Andy White, Hoffpauir, Chad Tracy, something named Bryan LaHair, something named Brad Snyder, Bobby Scales and Darwin Barney.  Oooh, however will Lou choose?

At this point, worrying about cutting a guy who can play doesn't seem like much of an option.

Oh, and Evans, when you go to make your hilarious Darwin Barney: Origin of the Utility Infielder Photoshop...just don't.

The bench gets a little better if Castro can play (PLEASE GOD), Theriot moves to short, and Baker is in the mix.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1075 on: January 27, 2010, 11:26:28 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 27, 2010, 11:22:22 AM

The bench gets a little better if Castro can play (PLEASE GOD), Theriot moves to short Japan, and Baker is in the mix.

Murton'd.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1076 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55:46 AM »

The bench gets a little better if Castro can play (PLEASE GOD), Theriot moves to short, and Baker is in the mix.

The kid is 19 years old and his minor league experience consists of 2 short seasons of rookie ball and 1 season split between Daytona and Tennessee. I think expecting him to contribute this year is as realistic as the camera crew on the Office. They've been there six years already, don't they have enough footage for their documentary!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1077 on: January 27, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 27, 2010, 11:55:46 AM

The kid is 19 years old and his minor league experience consists of 2 short seasons of rookie ball and 1 season split between Daytona and Tennessee. I think expecting him to contribute this year is as realistic as the camera crew on the Office. They've been there six years already, don't they have enough footage for their documentary!

If we bring castro up to sit on the bench, it will make zero sense. Who knows if Castro will even stay at shortstop, with Hak-Ju Lee playing so well at that position. Keith Law just rated our farm system 6th overall. That ain't bad. Tim Wilken, and I'm assuming Phil Nevin behind the scenes, has actually made our farm system respectable. The white sox farm system, by the way, rated last.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1078 on: January 27, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 27, 2010, 12:00:46 PM
Quote from: R-V on January 27, 2010, 11:55:46 AM

If we bring castro up to sit on the bench, it will make zero sense. Who knows if Castro will even stay at shortstop, with Hak-Ju Lee playing so well at that position. Keith Law just rated our farm system 6th overall. That ain't bad. Tim Wilken, and I'm assuming Phil Nevin behind the scenes, has actually made our farm system respectable. The white sox farm system, by the way, rated last.

That's because they traded everyone away to help build a pitching staff in a ballpark that is built for a power hitting team. Nice work, Ken.

I want to hear JD's opinion on Keith Law. I hear they're old pals.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1079 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »
Why did Andy ignore Sam Fuld?  Was Fontenot standing in front of him?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)