News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,768 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #1200 on: February 11, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »
CHEMISTRY!!!!

Quote"Honestly, until obviously, Milton, we'd always had that," Hendry said of good chemistry. "So it wasn't like it was a u-turn of philosophy. We had a great bunch of guys here for a long time, and we still do. Obviously, I made the mistake of trying to fit in the perfect type offensive player, and obviously, when that didn't work, the other issues came out. Fortunately, we put it behind us. It wasn't a conscious effort of doing anything entirely different. It was just like back to the norm, to be honest with you. The team that won 97 two years ago and the team that came back in Lou's first year and won the division were filled with not only good players, but quality people. That's the way we've always done things."

So, Milton's dickery prevented the Cubs from winning? Your smarte, Jim.

Quote"Offensively, he was the right guy," Jim said. "It wasn't like we didn't do our homework. I'm still convinced to this day if he'd have hit like he normally did the first couple of months, probably a lot of the issues wouldn't have come out. He was probably our best player in spring training. I remember having some chats with Derrek Lee and Aramis during camp, and they were thrilled to have him. He (Milton) got out of the gate so poorly and just didn't handle that lack of success well."

Verbally, no, but he still put up basically career average numbers from May-September.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1201 on: February 11, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 11, 2010, 12:47:16 PM
CHEMISTRY!!!!

Quote"Honestly, until obviously, Milton, we'd always had that," Hendry said of good chemistry. "So it wasn't like it was a u-turn of philosophy. We had a great bunch of guys here for a long time, and we still do. Obviously, I made the mistake of trying to fit in the perfect type offensive player, and obviously, when that didn't work, the other issues came out. Fortunately, we put it behind us. It wasn't a conscious effort of doing anything entirely different. It was just like back to the norm, to be honest with you. The team that won 97 two years ago and the team that came back in Lou's first year and won the division were filled with not only good players, but quality people. That's the way we've always done things."

Quote"Offensively, he was the right guy," Jim said. "It wasn't like we didn't do our homework. I'm still convinced to this day if he'd have hit like he normally did the first couple of months, probably a lot of the issues wouldn't have come out. He was probably our best player in spring training. I remember having some chats with Derrek Lee and Aramis during camp, and they were thrilled to have him. He (Milton) got out of the gate so poorly and just didn't handle that lack of success well."

Verbally, no, but he still put up basically career average numbers from May-September.

Jim Hendry can eat shit.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1202 on: February 11, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »
Quote from: MAD on February 11, 2010, 01:12:12 PM
CHEMISTRY!!!!

Jim Hendry can eat shit.

Why eat it when he can outbid himself to sign it for 3 years?
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1203 on: February 11, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »
Quote from: MAD on February 11, 2010, 01:12:12 PM
CHEMISTRY!!!!

Jim Hendry can eat shit.

Only if it's doughnut shaped.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1204 on: February 11, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »
"Honestly, until obviously, Milton, we'd always had that," Hendry said of good chemistry. "So it wasn't like it was a u-turn of philosophy. We had a great bunch of guys here for a long time, and we still do. Obviously, I made the mistake of trying to fit in the perfect type offensive player, and obviously, when that didn't work, the other issues came out. Fortunately, we put it behind us. It wasn't a conscious effort of doing anything entirely different. It was just like back to the norm, to be honest with you. The team that won 97 two years ago and the team that came back in Lou's first year and won the division were filled with not only good players, but quality people. That's the way we've always done things."

I'm glad it's so fucking obvious now.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1205 on: February 11, 2010, 02:29:38 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 11, 2010, 02:26:23 PM
"Honestly, until obviously, Milton, we'd always had that," Hendry said of good chemistry. "So it wasn't like it was a u-turn of philosophy. We had a great bunch of guys here for a long time, and we still do. Obviously, I made the mistake of trying to fit in the perfect type offensive player, and obviously, when that didn't work, the other issues came out. Fortunately, we put it behind us. It wasn't a conscious effort of doing anything entirely different. It was just like back to the norm, to be honest with you. The team that won 97 two years ago and the team that came back in Lou's first year and won the division were filled with not only good players, but quality people. That's the way we've always done things."

Jim Hendry can eat shit.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1206 on: February 11, 2010, 03:33:21 PM »
Quote from: MAD on February 11, 2010, 02:29:38 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 11, 2010, 02:26:23 PM

Jim Hendry can eat shit.

Obviously.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1207 on: February 11, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »
If Milton's career average numbers included a .205 BA with a .701 OPS with runners in scoring position, that's not so good.  And that's what he did last year when he was one of the worst "clutch" hitters in the National League.

I'm sure that contributed to the feeling that he had a shitty year from day one through the whole season.  You know that, and forgetting how many outs there were, and calling all of the three year olds in his son's daycare racist, and screaming at Von Joshua and refusing to pinch hit, and hurting himself by stepping on first base in the season opener.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1208 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:24 PM »
Quote from: Andy on February 11, 2010, 04:14:11 PM
If Milton's career average numbers included a .205 BA with a .701 OPS with runners in scoring position, that's not so good.  And that's what he did last year when he was one of the worst "clutch" hitters in the National League.

Well, I was referring to the last 5 months of the season, in which he had 414 plate appearances, but if we're in the business of only looking at 115 of a guy's plate appearances to judge his whole season on, then I must oblige. Since you refer to that, we should also look at a couple of other things. Looking at that, I notice a couple of things 1. His OBP (the frequency in which he does not make an out and ruin a rally) was a very nice .385. Now, his BA was pretty shitty, but you can't accuse him of fucking up a rally. Also, his BABiP was .250, which is pretty below average. Now, I don't have the LD% of those ABs but that goes to show that he was probably pretty unlucky and those number get skewed with that small of a sample size

forgetting how many outs there were

It's not like anyone else in the history of baseball has forgot how many outs were left (The last one I can't completely validate but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened since people are known to have brain lapses)... But by all means, let's continue basing a guy's legacy with the Cubs off of one incident..

calling all of the three year olds in his son's daycare racist, and screaming at Von Joshua and refusing to pinch hit, and hurting himself by stepping on first base in the season opener.

Kid thing: I can't refute. He's a douche.

Don't recall the Von Joshua thing.

Nor the pinch hitting thing.

If you are referring to game one in Houston, I do see that he played the next day. I don't see the point in bitching about his foot landing 6-8 inches off from where it should have landed.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1209 on: February 11, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 11, 2010, 05:17:24 PM
His OBP (the frequency in which he does not make an out and ruin a rally)

I'm sure Andy appreciates the explanation.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1210 on: February 11, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »

Well, I was referring to the last 5 months of the season, in which he had 414 plate appearances, but if we're in the business of only looking at 115 of a guy's plate appearances to judge his whole season on, then I must oblige. Since you refer to that, we should also look at a couple of other things. Looking at that, I notice a couple of things 1. His OBP (the frequency in which he does not make an out and ruin a rally) was a very nice .385. Now, his BA was pretty shitty, but you can't accuse him of fucking up a rally. Also, his BABiP was .250, which is pretty below average. Now, I don't have the LD% of those ABs but that goes to show that he was probably pretty unlucky and those number get skewed with that small of a sample size

It's not like anyone else in the history of baseball has forgot how many outs were left (The last one I can't completely validate but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened since people are known to have brain lapses)... But by all means, let's continue basing a guy's legacy with the Cubs off of one incident..

calling all of the three year olds in his son's daycare racist, and screaming at Von Joshua and refusing to pinch hit, and hurting himself by stepping on first base in the season opener.

Kid thing: I can't refute. He's a douche.

Don't recall the Von Joshua thing.

Nor the pinch hitting thing.

If you are referring to game one in Houston, I do see that he played the next day. I don't see the point in bitching about his foot landing 6-8 inches off from where it should have landed.

Why in the fuck do you stick up for this morgan?  Do you own stock in him?  Does he have incrimating pictures of you banging a sheep?  We've seen those.  Just get over it.  He's a piece of shit and not good at hitting the baseball or counting.  Fuck. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1211 on: February 11, 2010, 08:12:16 PM »

[/quote]

It wasn't that he forgot how many outs there were, it is that he missed the cutoff man in the stands.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1214 on: February 11, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 11, 2010, 05:36:33 PM
His OBP (the frequency in which he does not make an out and ruin a rally)

I'm sure Andy appreciates the explanation.

It seems that the BA is all that matters... Just clarifying.